: Still A Lemon

LarryG
08-06-09, 11:39 AM
My 2008 STS-4 with the direct injected engine continues to be a real lemon; latest issue is that the remote start works only when it wants to. Dealer has had the car three times and not been able to fix the problem. All problems since leasing car December 2008: FAILED RIGHT CAM MONITOR, FAILED RIGHT CAMSHAFT, BURNT OUT LEFT MAIN WHEEL BEARING, FAILED DRIVER'S LUMBAR SUPPORT, IN-OPERATIVE KEY FOB ISSUES. And Bob Lutz claims GM builds world class quality cars. Sure fooled me!

K STS
08-06-09, 12:01 PM
Hi. I've got a friend with a 2008 BMW 750. Hes had it like 8 months. It has been in service twice a month, every month, totaling over $12,000 in repairs, including a non-functional iDrive and a start failure where the car had to be towed to the dealership 3 times.

And BMW claims they make world class quality cars. Sure fooled me!

Greg00coupe
08-06-09, 01:58 PM
Yea I looked at a 7 series BMW before buying the STS, read the reports etc............ Not a very dependable car and expensive to fix. Realisticly any car model can be a lemon. It's a mystery of life why one car, same model is a lemon and the next one is great. Someone said there is no such thing as a lemon just a poor dealer. Well I proved them wrong with a 68 Mustang a few decades ago.........!! It hit mee nce upon a time when I bought a new motorcycle. For this particular bike there was just 2 choices between colors. I went to but it and the dealer had 10 reds and 10 blues. He said pick one....... I thought one of these is probably a lemon. But I picked a good one. But thats the question why are some vehicles lemons???? Maybe we can put the government to work on this one??

KARL DAHLEN
08-06-09, 02:17 PM
When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade

ewill3rd
08-07-09, 09:34 AM
All cars break, including my former employers Murcielago which was on the hook more than any Chevy I ever saw working there.

A car qualifies as a "lemon" in most states if the same issue still exists after 3 repair attempts.
Five things wrong with a car hardly constitute it as a lemon although I can see how those issues would be frustrating.
Your dealer needs to root cause the no remote start issue, a lot of things can cause that to happen.

Give them another chance and if they are still not capable find another dealer.
Spare us the "I hate GM and will never buy another one" rant all because of issues with one car at one dealer.
Your experience is not identical to every other person's and it does not mean that every GM car is crap. It means you have a situation that sucks and you need to find a competent dealer that is willing to work with you.

stevenriz
08-07-09, 11:29 AM
well put! My brother's new Denali, although no problems, had the no start issue using the fob a couple times. His dealer found a bad gas cap. Don't know why that would cause a no start condition (with the key fob only) but it fixed everything.

ewill3rd
08-07-09, 11:40 AM
Anything that turns on the check engine light will disable remote start.

Thunder Gray STS
08-07-09, 09:21 PM
Not to diminish your problems, I know they are a pain. Just take a look at the Lexus forum, leaking A/C's, navigation problems, rattles, vibrations. The point is not all STS's are junk, just as all Lexus cars are not perfect, and neither is any other brand. Lexus is supposed to be the benchmark for quality, so says JD Powers. Your ownership experience is only as good as your dealer. I agree with ewill3rd, find another dealer.

trackbait
08-07-09, 10:44 PM
I'm not all that happy with mine either (2008 N*).. Inconsistencies in seat movement, outside mirrors, squeaky seats (drivers), occasional remote start. rough idle until warm and more that do not come to mind at the moment.

I've drive a 2002 Tahoe for 90,000 miles since new and it was in the shop ONE time for a rattling intermediate steering shaft - after they FINALLY found a fix for it.

Hard to beat the reliability of a Chevy.. And they call this Caddy the Flagship car? Laughable. If I could unload it, I would in a second!

turnerbend
08-08-09, 02:13 AM
Waiting to put 05 STS back in shop Monday for a leaking strut (10,000 Miles). STS is over rated. Been driving my 1993 Nissan truck for 16 years and replace battery 1 time, 3 sets of tires and brakes rework 2 times, change oil every 5000 miles
Have 144,000 miles.

K STS
08-09-09, 04:45 AM
Oh god, I am so sick of this.
I had a $65,000 porsche that had a problem every week, and thousands of dollars each time to fix.
I had a cobra convertible that was in the shop for suspension, engine, steering, driveaxle, etc the first month i owned it.
I had a Land Rover that the trans went out, was covered under warranty, took THREE MONTHS to finish, and then had trans problems a month later.
I had a CTS where the drivers seat heater motor went out the first week i owned it. The crankshaft sensor went out the week after that. the REAR END was replaced with a brand new unit TWICE in one year.
I had a Firebird that needed the oil pan replaced, which meant pulling the engine out of the car.
I had a Daytona that dropped the transmission completely the third month I owned it.

All cars have problems. The STS is no exception, yet I haven't had any major problems as of yet. If you think your 20 year old truck is the most reliable thing on the earth, then you have the exception, not the rule. ALL CARS BREAK DOWN. Go to the BMW 745/750 forum on bimmerforums.com. Keep in mind this is BMW's Flagship sedan, costing $80,000. From the posts over there, they have TWICE as many problems as any STS you've ever seen.

Get off the cadillacforum and go praise your cars on the 90,000 mile tahoe forum and the 1993 super sweet unbreakable nissan truck forum. You're an idiot if you think these cars have more or less problems than either of the cars mentioned above.

c5 rv
08-09-09, 11:45 AM
It seems the "Lemons" have it:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/176840-should-i-buy-extended-warranty.html

tlac
08-09-09, 12:17 PM
That's why I buy used cars every one-two years for two reasons: let the first idiot(s) bite the depreciation; and let the first idiot(s) waste time fixing those frustrating "break-in" problems.

LarryG... it's a 2008 still under warranty, what have you paid for??? I know it sucks, but that's what the warranty is for, it'll get better as you fix the initial problems. Look at it this way, by the time you decide you've had enough of this car, someone else (like me) will get it used and everything will be fixed. And I agree with 3rd, find a COMPETENT dealer that can actually fix those problems or let the owners know how you feel!

turnerbend
08-09-09, 12:20 PM
I had a $65,000 porsche that had a problem every week, and thousands of dollars each time to fix.
I had a cobra convertible that was in the shop for suspension, engine, steering, driveaxle, etc the first month i owned it.
I had a Land Rover that the trans went out, was covered under warranty, took THREE MONTHS to finish, and then had trans problems a month later.
I had a CTS where the drivers seat heater motor went out the first week i owned it. The crankshaft sensor went out the week after that. the REAR END was replaced with a brand new unit TWICE in one year.
I had a Firebird that needed the oil pan replaced, which meant pulling the engine out of the car.
I had a Daytona that dropped the transmission completely the third month I owned it.

All cars have problems. The STS is no exception, yet I haven't had any major problems as of yet. If you think your 20 year old truck is the most reliable thing on the earth, then you have the exception, not the rule. ALL CARS BREAK DOWN. Go to the BMW 745/750 forum on bimmerforums.com. Keep in mind this is BMW's Flagship sedan, costing $80,000. From the posts over there, they have TWICE as many problems as any STS you've ever seen.

Get off the cadillacforum and go praise your cars on the 90,000 mile tahoe forum and the 1993 super sweet unbreakable nissan truck forum. You're an idiot if you think these cars have more or less problems than either of the cars mentioned above.

Kid, don't get your panties in a wade. You say that you are 23 and had just about every car on earth. I remember when men only lied about the sex life and their gas milage. If you had that much trouble with cars, somebody saw you coming. At the rate you're going, next year you would have moved on and the STS will also be on your hit list. No hard feelings, live and learn and when you get old you will have knowledge too.

KARL DAHLEN
08-09-09, 01:13 PM

We are back to mine is bigger or faster than yours mode I guess.

K STS
08-09-09, 01:54 PM
Get a life dude. Cars break down, that is a fact. Don't come on here and say the STS is a lemon and your 20 year old truck was the greatest thing ever created. The STS is no worse or better than any car I've ever had. Don't make it personal and hijack the thread because I've had more (and nicer) cars than you. I know you must be upset that I have had cars you can only dream of. And I'm sure I will move on from the STS in another year or two.

p.s., feel free to visit http://members.cardomain.com/kaczmanwwk since I'm lying.

Rolex
08-09-09, 03:01 PM
OP I hate to hear you're having all the trouble with your 08 STS. I hope they can fix everything under warranty and take good care of you.

Since this thread has been hijacked people who only seem to be here to compare wiener sizes, I'd say this thread was done long ago. Take your pissing contests somewhere else fellas.

There's your one warning.

Jesda
08-09-09, 03:06 PM
Guys, don't be dicks to each other.

Rolex
08-09-09, 03:07 PM

You've been here 5 months, and you've already hit the wall? Seriously, if you can't take these kinds of threads in stride you should move on.

....Don't make it personal and hijack the thread because I've had more (and nicer) cars than you. I know you must be upset that I have had cars you can only dream of........

The attitude of your posts in this thread is at a 10. Relax a little and try to enjoy this place. ;)