: My iPhone setup for 08 STS

miked
08-06-09, 01:48 AM
I wanted to share my iPhone setup. Pictures are below!

To the center console, I've connected a RCA L/R connector to 3.5 mm stereo jack, to which I've connected this PAC ground loop isolator (without it, I get quite a bit of noise):

bit.ly/3F3uQ4

To the ground loop isolator, I've connected a Kensington LiquidAux, which ends in a dock connector, and which also plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. The Kensington LiquidAux also has a neat remote control that I strapped onto the steering wheel.

bit.ly/sKRtc

I then connected the dock connector from the LiquidAux to a ProClip adjustable mount (so that I do not have to remove the iPhone from the case I use), which itself is connected to a bracket that mounts in the air outlet in the car.

bit.ly/zi35k
bit.ly/5CeSs

Overall, I am very pleased with this setup. There's only a single cable coming from the center console area to the iPhone holder. The iPhone (it's a 3GS) easily slides into and out of the bracket. I select video on the STS to listen to iPhone music, and of course for phone calls use Bluetooth. With the little remote control (RF 2.4 GHz, not line of site), I can select next and previous track, turn shuffle on/off, and pause and play the music. Because the remote control is strapped right below the STS audio steering wheel controls, it's very convenient!

- Mike.

MacMuse
08-06-09, 10:11 AM
Very nice, especially with Mr. Buffett.

Glad to hear the isolator works to cut the electrical whine - I've got to get something like that for mine. I'm using a two cable setup - power through a dock connector and audio out through the headphone jack. The noise seems to be worse when the iPhone approaches fully charged, but I can just drop the power cord to eliminate the noise.

I presume you can rotate the holder 90 degrees? You'll be all set when TomTom releases their iPhone Nav software.

Do you keep that vent closed? I've always thought these vent based clips could lead to unwanted condensation collecting on the device.

miked
08-06-09, 01:22 PM
The noise is completely eliminated. It wasn't that bad to begin with, but it was noticeable. I'm not sure why auto manufacturers don't just integrated such circuits themselves . . . .

I can rotate the holder 90 degrees.

I keep the vent open. I hadn't though about condensation, but we're in Phoenix, where there is little humidity in the air.

next2pool
08-06-09, 04:13 PM
The noise is completely eliminated. It wasn't that bad to begin with, but it was noticeable. I'm not sure why auto manufacturers don't just integrated such circuits themselves . . . .

I can rotate the holder 90 degrees.

I keep the vent open. I hadn't though about condensation, but we're in Phoenix, where there is little humidity in the air.

Now that's a keeper!! (Chandler here)

miked
08-06-09, 04:50 PM
More accurately, I'm in Gilbert! :)