: lowering springs for 05 v6 sts

polarbear05
08-05-09, 10:00 PM
does anybody know if they make lowering springs or lowering kits for an 05 sts v6
theres just too much gap it the back it would look better if the fenders an the rear would be right on the tire...
i know they make them for the v8 an the sts-v
but i just cant find anything for the v6..

i appreciate all the help yall can give me...

AllGoNShow
08-06-09, 10:59 AM
You will never find V6 specific springs, use V8 springs. I have B&G (D3) on my car and they work great. Intrax makes them as well but the backorder wait is retarded, if you can find them in stock somewhere they will work as well.

polarbear05
08-06-09, 11:04 AM
Really so v6 an v8 have the same spring.. Everytime I found some it said v8 only..
How much did ur car lower? Is ur sts a v6?

AllGoNShow
08-06-09, 11:25 AM
Same spring, they designed the spring rates around the V8 car but they work well on the V6. Yes I have a V6.

I have some before and after pictures I will post up for you.

next2pool
08-06-09, 11:42 AM
What do you about the self leveling--won't it try to come back up to the original level?

AllGoNShow
08-06-09, 11:47 AM
No self leveling on my car, if yours has it then you need different rods.

polarbear05
08-06-09, 12:44 PM
Thanks that would help out alot.. How's the ride it must feel a little stiffer or does it ride the same??

AllGoNShow
08-06-09, 12:53 PM
Ride is a little stiffer, no floating Cadillac anymore, personally I don't mind it but I drive slammed Porsche's and BMW's all day long, talk about rough ride for daily driving. My freind as an E55 AMG with factory suspension and 19" wheels, he borrowed my car and then commented on how comfy the ride was, so must not be too bad.

next2pool
08-06-09, 04:45 PM
No self leveling on my car, if yours has it then you need different rods.

I thought all STS 2005 up had self leveling. Some use the Nivomat shocks which have no external links or airbags, while some have the traditional compressor/air shock design. I could be wrong, but any literature I find on the STS shows self leveling susp as standard.

AllGoNShow
08-06-09, 04:50 PM
I would love to know. This is definatly not the tradition shock/air compressor design as I have gone over the car numerous times to make sure that isn't my issue. Do you know the build code for the Nivomat crap? I would love to know wtf kind of shocks are in this thing as I am chasing other issues as well.

next2pool
08-06-09, 06:19 PM
I would love to know. This is definatly not the tradition shock/air compressor design as I have gone over the car numerous times to make sure that isn't my issue. Do you know the build code for the Nivomat crap? I would love to know wtf kind of shocks are in this thing as I am chasing other issues as well.

Don't hold me to this yet, but it's starting to look like those without Magna ride use the Nivomat system as standard. I also saw a post on the CTS forum that details how to lower the rear by moving the Nivomat upper shock mount so that it doesn't return the height back up to design. Apparently on Nivomat equipped cars, the rear spring length is not the only thing that sets the ride height. I'll keep looking into it for more info.

polarbear05
08-06-09, 08:34 PM
What about the sts-v do they have the same springs as the v8 and v6 or are those different?? If u can post the pics I would like to see the difference..

rza36ch
08-14-09, 03:46 PM
I am definetely also intrigued about the whole self leveling system. I just got 20" momo's put on my 06 and I definetely want to make them look bigger by lowering my car. Please tell me is buying the springs is a waste of money.

next2pool
08-15-09, 12:36 PM
There is a post on the CTS site that shows what one person did to "trick" the self leveling rear shocks. It was pretty involved and he moved the upper mount up the same distance he wanted to lower the car. I didn't mark the link unfortunately. It may be possible to find rear shocks that aren't self leveling.

polarbear05
08-21-09, 11:36 AM
Ok I'm gona get some springs made.. I wana go 1.5 all around like the aftermarket springs.. I was just woundering guys out there with 20s that are lowerd does it need more than a 1.5 or is that gona be fine?? I have the 17in stickers right now I will get some 20s later on..

polarbear05
08-21-09, 11:38 AM
Ok I'm gona get some springs made.. I wana go 1.5 all around like the aftermarket springs.. I was just woundering guys out there with 20s that are lowerd does it need more than a 1.5 or is that gona be fine?? I have the 17in stickers right now I will get some 20s later on..

My bad i meant to put 17in stockers... (Not stickers)

K STS
10-05-09, 10:00 AM
I see this was never solved. I beleive I am going to go with the intrax lowering springs. I dont have MRC. Any way to find out if i have the rear air bag system?

STE_6000
10-05-09, 10:44 AM
do ground control if they make them. i love those things on my sports car. eibach pro springs, with height adjustment on the fly seats.

next2pool
10-05-09, 11:27 AM
I see this was never solved. I beleive I am going to go with the intrax lowering springs. I dont have MRC. Any way to find out if i have the rear air bag system?

I looked into that a couple of months ago and from what I can tell, only the mrc's have the old delco style airbags on the rear shocks. All other STS's have the Nivomat self leveling rear shocks which use the pumping action while moving to provide leveling. Those are the ones you can't de-activate since it is all internal. There's a thread on the CTS forum where a guy tricked it by moving the upper shock mount upwards.

AllGoNShow
10-05-09, 11:46 AM
I looked into that a couple of months ago and from what I can tell, only the mrc's have the old delco style airbags on the rear shocks. All other STS's have the Nivomat self leveling rear shocks which use the pumping action while moving to provide leveling. Those are the ones you can't de-activate since it is all internal. There's a thread on the CTS forum where a guy tricked it by moving the upper shock mount upwards.

This is my current problem, lower my car off the hoist and she sits perfect, slammed how she should be. Once i start driving it goes back to 4x4 mode. Going to look into the upper shock mount CTS issue and go from there.

K STS
10-05-09, 03:26 PM
This is crazy. So you need some insane modifications on a FE1 - INDEPEN SUSP W/AUTO REAR LEVEL car to install lowering springs?

next2pool
10-05-09, 04:59 PM
This is crazy. So you need some insane modifications on a FE1 - INDEPEN SUSP W/AUTO REAR LEVEL car to install lowering springs?

Below is a link for how this was done on a CTS--I'm assuming the STS would be similar. What they did was lower the upper shock mount as installed on the shock--so in effect you will raise the shock upper mounting as it relates to the body. You would space it the same amount you lower the springs.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/lowercts/index.html

AllGoNShow
01-14-10, 01:13 PM
Ok, finally slow around the shop so back to modding my vehicle :). I have the FE1 suspension, confirmed with build code and retarded ride height level ater driving. Running D3/B&G springs with 19" wheels. Just gave my mechanic the printout of the CTS link above, he is going to look at a CTS we have at the other shop and do some mroe hunting. I will keep everyone up to date with what we come up with!

By the way, you can still install springs in your FE1 suspension, just after you drive your rear will sit an inch or so higher than when you walked out to it in the morning, other than that no issues with the lowering springs.