: 2009+ Cadillac CTS-V Crank Pulley Upgrade (Now Available!!!)

Dr. Design
08-05-09, 10:17 PM
D3 Research & Design has finally released their long awaited harmonic balancer crank pulley upgrade for the 2009+ Cadillac CTS V-Series. We know that many customers and CTS-V owners have been waiting for a high quality engineered unit to upgrade their vehicle with. The wait is over. After a meticulous and thorough development period we are ready to release this new product. This SFI approved balancer & pulley combination is the most effective way to increase boost by 3 PSI (measured on both automatic and manual transmissions) properly without reducing belt contact surface area typically associated with your standard blower snout pulley upgrades. No core required as well as no downtime with having to send in parts to be modified. This is true bolt on upgrade and will not leave a permanent footprint on your vehicle. Our balancer is designed and engineered from the same blueprints that the factory harmonic balancer is designed to. We have also reduced the weight by 5 lbs with our CAD designed crank pulley. This item is precision engineered and manufactured on a CNC machine while maintaining factory tolerances and specifications. The standard supercharger drive pulley is measured at 9" and can be upgraded to larger diameters for customers looking to advance beyond 3 psi (please note for boost levels over 3 psi we recommend further upgrades to ensure engine safety and longevity). For more information visit the 2009 CTS-V section of the website. http://d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php#performanceparts

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_Pulley_Intro.jpg

Dyno video w/pulley installed (other upgrades include the following: Air Intake, ECU Tune, Headers w/X-pipe, and Corsa Exhaust) - Thank you Luna!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMjTMAZS_bI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMjTMAZS_bI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Please let us know if you have any questions. Feel free to contact us regarding various performance packages to safely enhance your CTS-V.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Gary Wells
08-05-09, 10:36 PM
Is that clear anodized or is that bare aluminum?
What color is the factory crank pulley?
Beautiful advertising artwork & layout.

Dr. Design
08-05-09, 10:52 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the compliments on the artwork. The guys take great pride in their work!

The pulley that you see pictured is actually a pre-production unit. The production unit has a black hard anodized coating. Since this is a precision part we ensure tolerances are kept in check before and after the coating process. It is a low gloss finish much like the factory pulley. I will have to look around to see if we have any comparison images of the D3 pulley vs. Factory pulley. Ours looks pretty large compared to the factory unit. The best part about it is that it is visibly much larger, yet weights 5 lbs less than factory.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Is that clear anodized or is that bare aluminum?
What color is the factory crank pulley?
Beautiful advertising artwork & layout.

Gary Wells
08-05-09, 11:08 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the compliments on the artwork. The guys take great pride in their work!

The pulley that you see pictured is actually a pre-production unit. The production unit has a black hard anodized coating. Since this is a precision part we ensure tolerances are kept in check before and after the coating process. It is a low gloss finish much like the factory pulley. I will have to look around to see if we have any comparison images of the D3 pulley vs. Factory pulley. Ours looks pretty large compared to the factory unit. The best part about it is that it is visibly much larger, yet weights 5 lbs less than factory.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Beautiful part, I am familiar with what hard ano look like & it's resulting process thickness. That part will look so trick in black hard anodize. I'm surprised that you guys did not match the pulley spokes with the CTS-V wheel spokes (very similar).

aburd
08-05-09, 11:19 PM
For the ecu box how easy is it to "When itís time to take the vehicle in for servicing, itís no problem. Simply disconnect the box to return the vehicle to factory tune. Please specify which tune when ordering."?

Thanks ab

Florian
08-06-09, 01:47 AM
you might wanna spell check your ad.

F

SlvrBullIT
08-06-09, 01:59 AM
Nice "precision" check Florian!!
$1,350 - um...yeah.......

Gary Wells
08-06-09, 08:26 AM
Any production units in stock yet?
I would like to check one out in perosn.

Low_ET
08-06-09, 08:33 AM
Your website says that the pulley alone is worth 30 rwhp. That seems low for 3 psi extra boost. Is that accurate?

From D3 Site: "On a stock CTSV with pulley installed the vehicle made an additional 30WHP & 64TQ. Please note, in most cases a custom PCM tune is required."

haterinc
08-06-09, 10:50 AM
that V in the pic sure looks low... it would be nice if someone would come out with their long awaited springs for this car lol...

AHEM! Mark...?

Dr. Design
08-06-09, 01:08 PM
Please note that the ECU box is not intended for the pulley upgrade. It can be used for intake and exhaust upgrades. Adding boost to the vehicle requires additional tuning not supported by our plug and play box.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

For the ecu box how easy is it to "When itís time to take the vehicle in for servicing, itís no problem. Simply disconnect the box to return the vehicle to factory tune. Please specify which tune when ordering."?

Thanks ab

Dr. Design
08-06-09, 01:09 PM
Hello,
Yes we will have some here late next week as they are coming back from coating. Please feel free to swing by our facility to check them out.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Any production units in stock yet?
I would like to check one out in perosn.

Dr. Design
08-06-09, 01:16 PM
Actually that would have been possible. However engineering already invested a bunch of time into the design. We were trying to keep the cost down so we can bring a quality unit to market at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Dr. D

Beautiful part, I am familiar with what hard ano look like & it's resulting process thickness. That part will look so trick in black hard anodize. I'm surprised that you guys did not match the pulley spokes with the CTS-V wheel spokes (very similar).

Dr. Design
08-06-09, 01:23 PM
PM sent.:)

that V in the pic sure looks low... it would be nice if someone would come out with their long awaited springs for this car lol...

AHEM! Mark...?

aburd
08-06-09, 02:13 PM
Soory d3 maybe I wasn't clear but how hard is it to access the ecu box on the 09 v. To both Install and uninstall ur product ?

Thanks. Ab

Dr. Design
08-06-09, 03:00 PM
Actually we call it an ECU box. But in reality it plugs into the vehicles Mass Air Flow meter with a factory style connector. You do not have to remove or gain access to the vehicles actuall ECU. This makes it very easy for install and will not leave a footprint if you have to take the vehicle into the dealership. Typical install time is about 10 minutes if that....
Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Soory d3 maybe I wasn't clear but how hard is it to access the ecu box on the 09 v. To both Install and uninstall ur product ?

Thanks. Ab

Dr. Design
08-07-09, 02:02 PM
Hello,
Sorry I missed this one earlier. That was a measurement pulled off of a stock car with a stock airbox, exhaust, etc...The vehicle came in a little hotter than most we have seen (can't recall what the a/f ratios were...), but we did notice a decline in boot towards the top of the boost graph. That was attributed to the factory intake and the hose actually collapsing under vacuum.

We have about 3-5 more CTS-V's coming in in the next two weeks for pulleys and other mods. So there will be more information available at that time. I know one of those cars are scheduled to get the methanol injection system. Another one of the cars we are adding just the pulley to his current combination of headers, exhaust, coil packs, plugs, wires, and tune. So it will be very interesting to see what his final numbers will be.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Your website says that the pulley alone is worth 30 rwhp. That seems low for 3 psi extra boost. Is that accurate?

From D3 Site: "On a stock CTSV with pulley installed the vehicle made an additional 30WHP & 64TQ. Please note, in most cases a custom PCM tune is required."

haterinc
08-07-09, 07:00 PM
can you elaborate on the coil packs being used?

PSRmark
08-08-09, 03:50 AM
can you elaborate on the coil packs being used?

The coil packs used were MSD units. No gains were noted and these were installed for just that purpose. IMO the coil packs wont show a gain on a stock vehicle as the factories secondary ignition system is more than capable. Build the engine a little nastier and then maybe we would see a need for these.

Dr. Design
08-11-09, 01:44 PM
Hello,
Just thought I would answer a few questions publically since we have been getting emails with people asking questions about our pulley.

Why a crank pulley and not a blower snout pulley upgrade? The answer for us is really simple. The reason D3 designed a lower crank pulley was because the snout of the supercharger is considered a non-serviceable part, thus if you mess something up you have to purchase a new blower to replace that part. It would also require permanent modifications to the vehicle, something we think Cadillac owners would want to stay away from considering the dealerships are looking for upgrades. Furthermore anytime you reduce the pulley diameter you run the risk of belt slip since you have reduced the amount of contact area with the belt and the pulley. If you need the vehicle to go back to stock trim, just change out the pulley and the belt. We are also sure to include a new crankshaft bolt with every pulley order.

What makes your pulley so special? The SFI approved crank pulley is built specifically for the Cadillac CTS-V. This is very important because we have built in all the harmonic frequencies and tolerances per GM blueprints with this new pulley. This means this is the closest and safest form of upgrades for the 09 CTSV in terms of increasing the vehicles boost as it resembles factory parameters. There are no recycled or shared parts with our crank pulley, only components that have been specifically engineered for the 09 CTS-V.

How long is the typical installation? About 4-6 hours depending on what else you are doing to the vehicle at the time of install. The install is fairly straight forward and your standard tools will apply for installation.

What is the finish on the pulley? The production finish is a hard anodized black finish with mil spec tolerances. It is important that the pulley finish on the ribbing of the belt is not powder coated as it will cause squeaking. Obviously we can't have any squeaky belts on a Cadillac....

How are you able to get so much weight out of the pulley? Since this pulley was CAD designed, we were able to run the new design through a stress analysis test. We were able to target the weak areas and the strong areas before we ever cut the first piece of billet. After numerous design iterations we determined we were able to remove material from various locations without compromising the strength of the unit. The end result was a reduction of 5 lbs and increased strength.

Are these pulleys in stock and ready to ship? We are shipping out pulleys at the end of the week.

Does the pulley come with a new belt? Yes, the pulley comes with the proper size belt.

How much boost does it truly yield in automatic/manual form? We measured 3 psi for both configurations regardless of transmission.

We hope this helps a few of you that had other questions. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Gary Wells
08-11-09, 01:59 PM
Dr. Design:
Very informative information and very helpful. I would like to come up and visit one day this week after work. About 2:00 P.M.? What would be the best day and who do I look / ask for.
TIA/R:
Gary Wells

PSRmark
08-11-09, 03:03 PM
Dr. Design:
Very informative information and very helpful. I would like to come up and visit one day this week after work. About 2:00 P.M.? What would be the best day and who do I look / ask for.
TIA/R:
Gary Wells

You are more than welcome to come down after 2pm, although next monday or tuesday would be better as we should have plenty of parts for you to look at by then. Just ask for James

SlvrBullIT
08-20-09, 08:33 PM
I'm guessing this is a 9" ring?

Dr. Design
08-21-09, 01:15 PM
Hello,
This is a 9" pulley. We measure from the top of the belt gate. We have another design that we havent released yet that will increase the crank pulley diameter to another size. However we are still reviewing the demand for such a product and weighing our options. We need to be responsible for the products we release and want to make sure we dont tax any components too much.

FYI - We should have some new images of our production coating on it by Monday for another install.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I'm guessing this is a 9" ring?

Gary Wells
08-21-09, 01:46 PM
I am planning on coming by Monday about 2:00 - 2:30 P.M.

Dr. Design
08-21-09, 01:56 PM
Sounds good. We will see you then!
Thanks,

Dr. D

I am planning on coming by Monday about 2:00 - 2:30 P.M.

Dr. Design
09-10-09, 12:30 PM
FYI - We have these pulley's in stock again!!! The first production run went VERY quickly. Please give us a call or send an email if you are interested in adding this upgrade to your CTS-V.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac
310-483-8389

Dr. Design
10-22-09, 04:59 PM
BUMP -
Here is a picture of the production version of the pulley. Just realized it wasn't up yet. We will be doing another production run for those that are interested. We have been selling out of these and they have been difficult to keep in stock. Please let us know if there are any questions.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_Pulley_Production_Final-1.jpg

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Fastlane 09 CTS-V
10-22-09, 11:29 PM
great job guys.. pulley looks great. Like the rims on the black car.. What kind are they? I've never owned a car with stock rims... but I kinda like the stock look.. and running 10's.. its a sleeper thing

Z06ified
10-23-09, 11:36 AM
Wow, 614 rwhp! So basically the car can do 700hp with just bolt-ons: pulleys, intake, headers, cat back exhaust, and tune. Amazing. :yup:

Dr. Design
10-23-09, 10:55 PM
Those rims are Forgeline DE3P's 20". Check out our website for more 09 CTS-V wheel options.
http://d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php#wheels

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

great job guys.. pulley looks great. Like the rims on the black car.. What kind are they? I've never owned a car with stock rims... but I kinda like the stock look.. and running 10's.. its a sleeper thing