: Possible to add ventilated/cooled seats?

snum1fan
08-05-09, 02:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if it would be possible to add ventilated/cooled seats option to a 2005 STS? I have the heated right now. I can get a ac/heat control(part right below radio) unit that has the cooled option for a good price. I just don't know what inside the seat is required. I tried to ask my caddy dealer, but they have had a bad attitude about everything I have tried to ask them about. They just keep saying to everything, "the only way is to trade in your car for a new one" They even told me that only caddilac would be able to take the bumper off to install H.I.D.'s, and that if I did it I would never be able to get it back on. Well, guess what, I did it no prob.

They said that I would need a whole new seat because the cooled ones have little holes in them for the air to pass through, and mine does not. Well I rented an 09 STS recently and compared, and my car has the same holes in the seat that the 09 w/ cooled seats has.

When I look on the gm parts website, I see a diagram of the seats with A/C, and it has a lot of parts, but all I see that is a/c related is, a blower motor for the cushion and then one for the seat back.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

much thanks

Oh yea, I am installing my high beam and fog H.I.D's this weekend, when I do I will be posting a write up/step by step on how to do it by taking off bumper. How do I post pictures?

KARL DAHLEN
08-05-09, 03:00 PM
Find a new dealer!

MacMuse
08-05-09, 04:00 PM
For pictures, I use photobucket.com - and just a basic free account at that.

Here's a sample using their provided "IMG Code" text - http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/MacMuse/CAR/STS-Tongue.jpg
That style dumps the picture directly into the thread. Great for normal sized pictures - say no wider than 600 pixels.

K STS
08-05-09, 04:59 PM
interesting grill

K STS
08-05-09, 04:59 PM
maybe you would like to have it... for $300!

next2pool
08-05-09, 05:12 PM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if it would be possible to add ventilated/cooled seats option to a 2005 STS? I have the heated right now. I can get a ac/heat control(part right below radio) unit that has the cooled option for a good price. I just don't know what inside the seat is required. I tried to ask my caddy dealer, but they have had a bad attitude about everything I have tried to ask them about. They just keep saying to everything, "the only way is to trade in your car for a new one" They even told me that only caddilac would be able to take the bumper off to install H.I.D.'s, and that if I did it I would never be able to get it back on. Well, guess what, I did it no prob.

They said that I would need a whole new seat because the cooled ones have little holes in them for the air to pass through, and mine does not. Well I rented an 09 STS recently and compared, and my car has the same holes in the seat that the 09 w/ cooled seats has.

When I look on the gm parts website, I see a diagram of the seats with A/C, and it has a lot of parts, but all I see that is a/c related is, a blower motor for the cushion and then one for the seat back.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

much thanks

Oh yea, I am installing my high beam and fog H.I.D's this weekend, when I do I will be posting a write up/step by step on how to do it by taking off bumper. How do I post pictures?

Keep in mind that they are ventilated and not cooled. Even though the seat covering is perforated, there is a lot of foam and secondary material under the leather that will probably not be ready for ventilation. The wiring and body module may not be there either. It all sounds negative, but that's not my intent--just be prepared and figure out the scope so you don't run out of steam part way through. Maybe you can look over a wrecked one before hand.

MacMuse
08-05-09, 05:16 PM
Kinda adds that Mary Kay touch don't ya think!

I still say it looked darn good on your ride.

K STS
08-05-09, 05:47 PM
I agree as well - just not as flashy as my 08+ E&G grille and bumper will be (installed friday.)

It can look just as good on yours!

snum1fan
08-06-09, 11:01 AM
Ok so I looked into a little more with the suggestions that next2pool gave, and I do see now that the foam backing for the bottom and back parts of the seat is listed as different part numbers in the GM catalog. They are not expensive at all, so it is not a problem with that at least.

What body module are you talking/thinking about though? So far my list of parts is well in under acceptable, it's really worth it to me to do this if it is possible. It's SO hot in FLA right now, and all year for that matter.

Thanks for everyones input.

next2pool
08-06-09, 12:56 PM
Most of the outputs from various switches and controls don't go directly to the item being controlled--they go to a module which then does the high current switching. They are all over the car including each door. Other than that, you will need to look in the shop manual to see which one controls the seat ventilation--it could be the same module with a different harness, or a different module. Can't be any more specific than that since I don't have a manual myself yet.

Greg00coupe
08-06-09, 01:48 PM
Not sure what the challenge is but why do you want them? I have them and they are way overrated.............IMHO

DBeaSST
08-07-09, 09:11 AM
I think a set of shop manuals, though expensive, would really help you out here. With them you'll be able to see exactly what needs to be replaced/installed.

What about finding a salvage STS for parts? Might end up saving you some money on some of the parts anyway.

Not sure what the challenge is but why do you want them? I have them and they are way overrated.............IMHO

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps it's a location thing (hot versus colder climates) but I've had my STS for less than two weeks and already KNOW I'll be using the ventilated seats way more than the heaters. ;)

K STS
08-07-09, 09:33 AM
All they do is pull heat from the seat... if youve ever sat in an XLR, DTS, Navigator, etc, those are actually "cooled" seats, and the STS is nothing like that.

BaTu
08-07-09, 10:20 AM
I think the ventilated seats do a tremendous job.....

I don't care how they do it, all I know is I feel cold air blowin thru the "crack" ;)

In the summer, especially on a trip, I Luv 'em!

DBeaSST
08-07-09, 12:07 PM
All they do is pull heat from the seat... if youve ever sat in an XLR, DTS, Navigator, etc, those are actually "cooled" seats, and the STS is nothing like that.

I'm aware of how they work versus a true "cooled" seat. My point is, as BaTu mentioned, that they do (for me at least) work and I like them. ;)

snum1fan
08-08-09, 03:15 AM
I agree. My boss was renting me a car for about 8 months, I always paid the extra to get a STS. I had to turn it in and get a new one every 28 days. I used the seat coolers every day. Most of the time in the daytime it was pretty cool. Only sometimes it wouldn't be that great. Then when it started to cool down in the late afternoon and at night, it would be so cool I would turn it down most of the time.

It is hot as he** down here in SW FLA. i would be willing to spend $1,000 to get it in my car.

I might buy a service manual, and check it out. I am going to two other cadillac dealers in the next week to see what they say. I have to go to one anyways to get the 2009 front bumper cover I ordered!

K STS
08-10-09, 01:03 PM
Get ready for a whole world of issues.