: Rumor Time-No future V product coming...

commander112
08-05-09, 01:20 PM
Alright if you hate rumor and speculation do not read any further. Nothing to see here. If, on the other hand, you want to take a nugget of second hand information and keep it in the back of your mind for the future then here it goes.
A good friend of mine was on a business call at GM headquarters on Monday and mentioned in passing that I had just purchased the new V. He was told that "he better enjoy it as it will be his last". He then confirmed that after existing product arrives (V-coupe) there is nothing in the pipeline for future platforms.
If I allow my wild imagination to run with this it makes sense. As the oil prices create a second gas crisis and as the government mandates better economy I fear that we are on the verge of another "death of the muscle car" as we saw in the early 1970's. Keep your V's looking nice as they may be the cars we see at Barrett-Jackson in another 25-30 years. You never know.

ghost02
08-05-09, 01:22 PM
The last episode of Top Gear also hinted at the death of the muscle car, amazing episode by the way.

cts-v2009
08-05-09, 01:45 PM
no >>> i want cts-v3 in 5 years time

Caroutisine
08-05-09, 01:59 PM
I don't have any inside information, but I do believe the then end of the V-Series is inevitable within the next few model years.

demorgan59
08-05-09, 02:13 PM
I just hope I can order a 2010 when prices come out. It's been awfully quiet.:banghead:

onebadcad
08-05-09, 02:18 PM
IMO, if we could produce more oil in the U.S.A. it would make the prospects of the muscle-car brighter, assuming GM can meet the CAFE standards. Of course that is my perspective, and I give no weight or thought to the environmental facets of the issue, as the economics always come first. We currently import 65% of our usage, and based on Washington's current stance this will not change for many years. Also, GM is taking orders right now from the Gov, but 'if' they could pay back the loan in five years, they may actually have some say in what type of cars are produced. Too much politics, and pursuit of personal agendas, play a role in the future of performance cars, and if I were King, I would save the muscle cars and kill the treehuggers!!!

BTW, China and India, given their attitude for the environment, should be ideal for production of some great 700-1000HP vehicles, but getting them over here would be the tougher issue,,,

onebadcad
08-05-09, 02:39 PM
I don't have any inside information, but I do believe the then end of the V-Series is inevitable within the next few model years.

The New Administration would like to see all of us riding around on bicycles,,,

wait4me
08-05-09, 02:47 PM
This would be a pretty good rumor to help dealers get rid of cars stuck sitting on lots before the new 2010s come out.

commander112
08-05-09, 03:23 PM
This would be a pretty good rumor to help dealers get rid of cars stuck sitting on lots before the new 2010s come out.

??? Did you read the original post. The current car will continue for it's lifespan including the upcoming coupe. There will just be no future V product coming for other future platforms.

wait4me
08-05-09, 04:13 PM
I understood what you meant, I didnt mean it as a bad thing. I meant it as a collector standpoint. Get the cars while you can, as when they are done, they are done.. So all of them should be selling more.

Razorecko
08-05-09, 05:49 PM
Hey as long as i know some time in advance when will be the last year so i can trade my old one in for a newer model NON-sunroof.....as long as its in stickshift of course

neuronbob
08-05-09, 06:10 PM
This is old news and has been rehashed on this forum previously. We know that the GM Perf Division folks were dispersed to other divisions, that no new V stuff was being produced, and that the current V stuff (now just CTS-V sedan and upcoming coupe) would be produced until the end of their run.

What's different here is the source--a GM conference call.

I guess I'd better invest in another bay in the garage.....I plan to keep my V as long as possible, even if after I eventually move to another daily driver in a few years.

CIWS
08-05-09, 06:28 PM
Muscle cars were killed off after the mid-late 70s oil crisis and we started getting K cars (blah). That took about two decades before they really started getting produced again. Now we're almost certainly going to see this kind of cycle occur in the next few years. But it will be interesting to see what technology is produced in the future to bring them back in some other form.

demorgan59
08-05-09, 06:58 PM
By that time, I will have probably switched to a Buick (all electric natch).