: Thinking about bidding on this Deville

GenrlRodes
08-05-09, 12:13 AM
Hey all. This just showed up on ebay a little while ago. There is no reserve and the starting price is right! It is under two hours away. This would make a great run around car, winter car maybe to save the 1990 Brougham. What's everyones opinion.

Christopher

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-DEVILLE_W0QQitemZ330350039601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item4cea659231&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

sven914
08-05-09, 12:42 AM
The car looks good and you can't beat the price, but "Have no history on this car. It was left from a previous tenant and it was driven to this site when parked" makes me think that the paper work isn't completely clean. I don't know if Carfax can get a history report on something that old, but it is worth a try, to see if the title was a clean transfer, or if the vehicle has a salvage title from being abandoned (or if the seller has the the right to sell the car and transfer the title).

Don't bid on it until the last five minutes. As soon as people see bids, they have to get their number in, which raises the price and starts a bidding war. Contact the seller and request that he notify you prior to pulling the auction.

GenrlRodes
08-05-09, 01:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing about that no history on the car. I am going to email him. It also says is for sale locally. Might see what he is asking for it too. Might be able to buy it cheap.. If there isn't a title, then one could be gotten for a reasonable fee, which as good as the car sounds, would still be a deal... I am going to look into it before I make a move though...

77CDV
08-05-09, 01:10 AM
Sven brings up some good points, esp. about the title issues. A d'Elegance like that would definitely be a very pleasant DD.

GenrlRodes
08-05-09, 02:29 AM
I thought about those exact comments as soon as I read them. I sent him an email asking, as well as my cell. Maybe he will call me tomorrow. I also think I will call the courthouse and inquire at the DOT about these exact issue to see if there are any red flags from the legal end. Who knows. I am going to keep my fingers crossed...

GenrlRodes
08-05-09, 09:48 AM
Here was the reply to in inquiry...... This has me really thinking...... Although, early this morning a 1956 Fleetwood 60 Special was listing..........which is what I have been wanting.....though it is going to be a bit higher in price...lol

Good morning !
My asking price is what ever I can get for the car (reasonable offer). I do have a clear title from the previous owner so you could get it tagged right away.
Thanks for the interest.
Paul

You are welcome to come look and drive the car. There are no plates or insurance on the car but I live in the country so test driving it would not be an issue.

I have only driven the car a few miles but it drives good, tranmission shifts good, tires are good. It should be a good car for many miles.

CoupedeVille'73
08-05-09, 04:56 PM
Seller has 80 positive feedbacks...
No dark spot ...

sven914
08-05-09, 05:41 PM
Yeah, but it looks like only 5 of those feedbacks were as a seller. Everything else was as a buyer, and eBay rules state that sellers cannot give negative or neutral feedback on buyers.

GenrlRodes
08-06-09, 12:13 PM
I did speak to the 'owner'. He owns rentals and this car was left. Sat for a year, and he finally contacted authorities concerning it. They inturn found owner and owner signed the title over to the guy selling the car. It has not been titled to him. He did general tune up and was able to get it running and drove it around on his farm. Said everything appears in good condition. A/C is only thing he notices is not working. Little wear on the drivers seat, and the surface rust mentioned in ad that is along the botton of body. He said he's like to see a grand, but just wants the car gone..

sven914
08-06-09, 09:07 PM
Who abandons a vintage Cadillac and then signs it over to their landlord?

Bro-Ham
08-06-09, 09:38 PM
That's a great car. Don't question, just do it. Good luck! Dave

77CDV
08-07-09, 01:09 AM
Well, if he has the title and all he wants is a grand, I'd say go for a test drive and if it's at all decent, grab it.

Bro-Ham
08-07-09, 09:11 AM
While you may be thinking about buying the car someone else may be pulling the trigger. The 77-79 cars can take a ton of abuse and still be easily resurected. That vintage is truly last of its kind. Overbuilt, strong no-nonsense real Cadillac engine, tough transmission, no computers or check engine lights - - they're pretty much bullet proof. As long as you can afford the gas the car will last a long, long, long time. For a grand you have nothing to lose. I'm tempted to grab it even though I don't need another one since my 79 is a stud. :)

TSS
08-07-09, 09:32 AM
As a courtesy to "Paul", perhaps a mod can remove his ph. # from post 6?

sven914
08-11-09, 08:23 PM
So... You going for it? It ends about 2 hours and 6 minutes from this post.

GenrlRodes
08-11-09, 11:44 PM
I decided not too. Save my money for something I really really want. If I keep impulse buying, I'll never get the "magic" cars I want.

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 12:17 AM
Someone got a cool car for only 1,103 bucks........ :)

HUF
08-12-09, 12:46 AM
I would only buy from a dealer with 100% feedback and solid several years history on eBay. I would stay away from any private seller on eBay since they do not usually care of their rating. Outside of eBay I would buy from a private seller after thoroughly testing the car.

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 12:53 AM
Nothing ventured and nothing gained. Not all dealers with 100% feedback are necessarily selling a gem and a private seller who may not have high feedback may not be a high volume seller or buyer of anything so you never know until you do some snooping. I would bet either one of my arms or legs that a dealer selling the same car would have put a rub and a whirl on the paint, exaggerated the description of the same car as a priceless jewel and sold the exact same car for twice as much. The dealer would know how to word the ad just right and persuade folks to spend as much $$$ as possible and this same old car would probably have sold to our friend GenrlRodes in the heat of the emotional excitement and we'd all be talking about what an opportunity he took advantage of. :)

HUF
08-12-09, 01:25 AM
Nothing ventured and nothing gained. Not all dealers with 100% feedback are necessarily selling a gem and a private seller who may not have high feedback may not be a high volume seller or buyer of anything so you never know until you do some snooping. I would bet either one of my arms or legs that a dealer selling the same car would have put a rub and a whirl on the paint, exaggerated the description of the same car as a priceless jewel and sold the exact same car for twice as much. The dealer would know how to word the ad just right and persuade folks to spend as much $$$ as possible and this same old car would probably have sold to our friend GenrlRodes in the heat of the emotional excitement and we'd all be talking about what an opportunity he took advantage of. :)

lol true!

GenrlRodes
08-12-09, 02:48 AM
Auto dealer or private, an inspection in person is the best way to buy a car. I was going to go see the car, since it is only two hours from where I live. He have a large acreage, which I could have driven it around to test it myself. In speaking with him on the phone, he seems honest and thorough about the car, but HEY....they all can be that way. I do feel whom ever did win the car, acquired themself a truly nice caddy overall. I do wish if might have been me, but a 1956 Fleetwood is more what I am wanting right now...