: Cleaning interior wood trim

MacMuse
08-04-09, 10:21 PM
I'm wondering how everyone cleans their wood trim. I have dark Eucalyptus trim. Even when I picked up the car from the dealer a few months ago I thought the trim felt gritty.

Did this trim start out glossy smooth? What cleaners and protectors are popular?

next2pool
08-04-09, 10:54 PM
I'm wondering how everyone cleans their wood trim. I have dark Eucalyptus trim. Even when I picked up the car from the dealer a few months ago I thought the trim felt gritty.

Did this trim start out glossy smooth? What cleaners and protectors are popular?

These real wood trims are a bit deceiving. They are a very very thin laminate or skin of wood on a plastic backing with a thick clear coat. The trick is almost like polishing paint since that is really what you are doing. A fine polishing compound may help clear up scratches or roughness. When new they are absolutely smooth and glossy. I use a damp micro fiber cloth or sometimes a wet wipe. While we are on it, the leather surfaces really are leather in a technical sense only. They are highly processed and painted (not dyed) and treated to smell like leather. Regardless, I love it and they are more durable than the original "interpretation" of leather or wood.

tlac
08-05-09, 04:49 PM
I use fragrance free Pledge and a microfiber cloth. Pledge cleans and provides UV protection. It's what most detailers use too. I second the fine polishing compound, but use carefully and infrequently.

Caroutisine
08-05-09, 08:54 PM
Yes, Pledge. Use it on the black trim of my CTS now as well.

bbshriver
08-07-09, 03:10 PM
Not sure if Caddy is the same but the recommendation for Bentley/Rolls Royce cars is to use wax as you would on the exterior of your car, as the wood is completely sealed in the clearcoat. I used some "cleaner" wax to take some scratches out. Works good, looks great.