: Starting Problem

Ghost Deany
08-04-09, 08:31 PM
problem comes and goes. happens maybe once or twice a month if that. i have a 2004 awd, with the factory remote start. today, i went to remote start by pressing the lock button twice, and it went to start but just clicked a couple times, the power came on inside but it didnt start, had to press the brake pedal, then start with the key. and then every so often, ill go to start with the key and it will click as if the batteries dead. then try again right after and it starts? weird. any ideas? starter getting ready to crap out?

bstiffmanofsteel
08-04-09, 09:02 PM
I had that happen twice. The first time my battery was bad. Second time the negative terminal didn't have a clean connection. Went to Autozone, got a new terminal and its been all good since... Hopefully its as simple with yours!

zerocarpileup
08-04-09, 11:58 PM
im sure its just the harness, double check nothing popped off the module and check the fusses on the alarm. The alarm should be giving you a trouble code VIA the security light. It should be flashing in some sort of sequence to tell you the problem,

nathanjax
08-05-09, 06:13 AM
I've never heard of this factory remote start option. I have an 04 6.0 AWD that's fully loaded, every option possible, I thought...

I just tried hitting the lock button twice, and nothing happened except the locks locked and the horn sounded (to let me know the doors were locked)

How can I tell if my truck has this? If it doesn't, can I just go to the factory to have this option put on?

I know I can get an aftermarket with remote start, but I'd like to keep everything factory if possible. I like the Driver 1 and Driver 2 configuration (seats, mirrors, etc) with the factory remotes

ewill3rd
08-05-09, 08:00 AM
'04 Escalade does not have a factory remote start option.
Sounds like the battery to me.
Have it tested.

sk7
08-05-09, 09:03 AM
X2 on the OEM remote start option, we would install a module to supply neg trigger to aftermarket remote starter upon pressing twice lock within 3 seconds. Advantages are you can keep factory fob's with driver 1+2, but distance to activate system really sucks. Anyways if battery and terminals are ok, I would have a peek at the install, some use crappy T harness that can cause poor connections, hence problems with remote and key start. It will be brownish-burnt color around the wire connector, look for yellow wire 10GA (starter).

I think he factory remote start is available on 07+ models?

Ghost Deany
08-05-09, 09:56 AM
'04 Escalade does not have a factory remote start option.
Sounds like the battery to me.
Have it tested.

are you sure? under my hood right in front of the radiator shroud it says, this vehicle is equipped with factory remote start, and it says a few other things, ill take a picture of it later.

Ghost Deany
08-05-09, 10:00 AM
sorry, maybe not factory but it says this http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l446/MNOGhost/REMOTE.jpg

bstiffmanofsteel
08-05-09, 11:51 AM
Definately not factory! Have your battery tested and your connections. Thats the simple stuff.

zerocarpileup
08-05-09, 12:55 PM
Yea, not factory, DEI, refers to the Direct Electronics Remote start module. find where they tucked the brain of the aftermarket alarm(probably tucked under the dash) and carefully look for any pulled wire harnesses or ribbons or even busted fuses. As i mentioned before, the system is probably trying to give you the trouble code by flashing the security light in a certain sequence.

Ghost Deany
08-05-09, 02:49 PM
so who installed it? the original owner? and how did they get it to work with the factory keyless remote ect?

zerocarpileup
08-05-09, 03:10 PM
Im curious as to how you activate the remote start from the factory key fob. Does it look like the regular three button remote?

Ghost Deany
08-05-09, 03:15 PM
Im curious as to how you activate the remote start from the factory key fob. Does it look like the regular three button remote?

yea. regular factory remote. i just press the lock button 2 times, with 2 horn beeps, and then the horn beeps 1 more time and it starts up

zerocarpileup
08-05-09, 04:05 PM
Well, from what i know, the DEI remote start module can still be added on to the factory alarm. You dont have to have a complete aftermarket alarm to have remote start. So being that the module is installed on your truck, i would still look under the dash and look for a burned out inline fuse somewhere.

ewill3rd
08-05-09, 05:05 PM
Lots of companies make those. The system piggybacks on the vehicle harness and watches for 2 inputs from the transmitter to lock (in this case).
I had a similar system on another vehicle for something different.
I think the '07 Escalade was the first with remote start.

I'd agree, knowing this is a new battery I'd look carefully at all connections.
Start at the main battery connections, ground, etc.

nathanjax
08-05-09, 05:39 PM
Would that DEI piece be something like this?

DEI Valet 561T Add-On Remote Start Module

http://www.hornetcarsecurity.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=808

"The Valet 561T Remote Start Upgrade Module can be added to any security or keyless entry system that has an auxiliary output. With features such as Parking Light Flash and Defroster Output, this is the ideal module for those who want to add the convenience of remote start to their current system."

zerocarpileup
08-05-09, 06:47 PM
Well just make sure its for your specific GM Passlock system. I know, that my 02 was different from the one that 03 and up use.

sk7
08-05-09, 10:24 PM
That DEI system listed above would still require a module to trigger the remote start. The factory remote doesn't have an AUX output. We got ours made locally. You can test if the system was properly installed by locking manually your doors with the switch inside the truck 2 times. If it triggers the remote start, no good for crooks! Interface must be diode isolated to prevent this. Its not always the case lol. Escalade's passlock2 system is the same from 99-2006. On 2003 and up you can use a bypass module that hooks up to the OBD2 port, a lot easier to install. Some even come with door locks, factory alarm control, tach signal, parking lights, horn, so it makes the job a lot easier.