: 95 fleetwood transmission shutter

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-04-09, 07:22 PM
ok, just recently going between 40-60 it feels like the transmission has a shutter to it. it will do this the whole time between these speeds unless i give it some throttle to pass. then it smooths out till i let off. most of my driving is around these speeds so its a lil annoying.
any ideas

drmenard
08-04-09, 09:39 PM
I'd make sure its not the motor... I had a friend with a buick and it acted like yours... turned out to be the plugs...

Croche
08-04-09, 11:20 PM
had the same problem it is either the wires plugs opti or blaster coil mine was the opti was old and the wires needed to be replaced, wires are a very common problem because the wires are so close to the headers that they can burn through and cause a short, and make good wires go bad almost instantly, happened to me, the dealer replaced them but messed up so 100 miles later same prob so i did it then but some heat shield and have been good ever since. That is of course if you tires are balanced and everything like that.

z06bigbird
08-04-09, 11:23 PM
Open the hood at night with the engine running. You might be able to hear the sparks jump from wire to wire. You can likely see the sparks too. Use a flashlight.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-05-09, 04:11 AM
ill check all that. it just started if im doing about 60 and let off the gas you can feel it downshift around 50-55 or so. if you give it some gas it shake. if you step on it, it doesnt do it for some reason. i was thinking spark to but it seems tranny too.

the tres are balanced to done that right after i changed the idler arm and had a front-end alignment

the car doesnt have a lot of miles. i think right at this moment i have 18,900

csbuckn
08-05-09, 04:44 AM
I would check the torque converter. It does a little work between 40-60mph. Have you had any tranny/rear seal work done lately

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-05-09, 02:15 PM
no, i havent had any problems till lately. like i said the car has under 19,000 miles. ill check the plugs and wires and shit. but if i have to change the optispark o boy what a fun job. might change the tranny fluid and filter since the car sat alot and wasnt driven to much

jey
08-05-09, 03:08 PM
Does it do the same thing when the gear selector is in 3 instead of D?

jayoldschool
08-05-09, 07:11 PM
All good advice so far. My best friend just picked up a 95 Caprice wagon that had similar symptoms. It was a bad wire on the passenger side. I found it by grabbing it while the engine was running. I got a pretty good jolt! The coil and coil wire are possible culprits, as well. I doubt it is the opti.

jey gives good advice on 3 vs OD. Also, you can check torque converter lock up as follows:
With the car in OD, drive at at least 50mph. While holding the speed steady with your right foot, use your left foot to gently press on the brake. You should feel the RPM increase slightly as the converter unlocks. Hold your foot lightly on the brake, there should be no shuddering. Once you release the brake, the converter should re-lock after. If you enter into the diagnostics on the CCM, you can call up the RPM to confirm what you are feeling. If there is no change when you step on the brake, then there may be a problem with the converter lock up feature.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-05-09, 07:12 PM
dont know, i'll try it though and see

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-06-09, 02:18 PM
ok, i just turned 19K woohoo anyway put about 30 miles on it last night, it does it in gear D not in gear 3 though

jayoldschool
08-06-09, 03:42 PM
Sounds torque converter lockup related then. Do the test I posted...

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-06-09, 07:42 PM
will do, appreciate all the help too.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-07-09, 07:25 PM
im going to try again later, but i really didnt notice a change at all

jayoldschool
08-07-09, 10:28 PM
Did you bring up the RPM display on your climate control?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-08-09, 02:16 PM
i dont know how to do all that

jayoldschool
08-08-09, 03:24 PM
It's in the FAQ, but here's what to do...

Program Info for Automatic Climate Control

Readout Settings -
-06 tach
-08 coolant temp (F)
-14 speed (MPH)
-24 coolant temp (C)

Instructions for putting ACC in diagnostic mode -
- turn ignition to ON position (or start vehicle)
- press and hold the temp up and OFF buttons at the same time until the unit does a full segment check.
- Release the buttons.
- Display should read -00... you are now in diagnostic mode
- Using the fan up/down buttons, select desired function from above
- press middle

HUF
08-11-09, 04:34 AM
All good advice so far. My best friend just picked up a 95 Caprice wagon that had similar symptoms. It was a bad wire on the passenger side. I found it by grabbing it while the engine was running. I got a pretty good jolt! The coil and coil wire are possible culprits, as well. I doubt it is the opti.

jey gives good advice on 3 vs OD. Also, you can check torque converter lock up as follows:
With the car in OD, drive at at least 50mph. While holding the speed steady with your right foot, use your left foot to gently press on the brake. You should feel the RPM increase slightly as the converter unlocks. Hold your foot lightly on the brake, there should be no shuddering. Once you release the brake, the converter should re-lock after. If you enter into the diagnostics on the CCM, you can call up the RPM to confirm what you are feeling. If there is no change when you step on the brake, then there may be a problem with the converter lock up feature.
I believe a specific trouble code is set when lock-up does not work. The change in RPM is about 100-200. Not easy to notice without RPMs displayed when engine makes around 2000 RPM.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-12-09, 02:07 PM
ok, finally got around again to doing this but with the display going.

going a steady 53mph display was showing "11" so 1100rpms i take it.

apply slight brake and it went from "11" to "13" checked it several times and it done so every time. soon as i let off the brake it went right back to "11"

jayoldschool
08-12-09, 02:36 PM
Ok, so the torque converter lockup is working, along with the release switch.

Any trouble codes while you were in there?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-12-09, 04:53 PM
im not familiar with using the display thing. need a little schooling, where on the display do i find the trouble codes. yea im a newb at this.

jayoldschool
08-12-09, 05:23 PM
Check in the Tech info/FAQ at the top in the stickies. The how to is in there (that is where I got the part for the tach info).

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-13-09, 07:02 PM
it really doesnt say how or when the codes will come up. just list how to get into the diagnostic mode and what each code means

anyway after doing the convertor lockup test with the brake, all that displays is -00 does that mean no codes or what. do i have to go into a different menu. maybe i missed it

Stingroo
08-13-09, 07:17 PM
From what I understand about it, you use the Hi and Lo buttons to jump to the different sets of codes.

Read this to learn a bit more (it's buried in the RWD Tech post)

http://www.troublecodes.net/cadillac/cadbrom.shtml

Hope it helps. I've never done it either. :P

JTraik
08-13-09, 07:47 PM
Recently solved this issue in my Fleetwood... btw OP, nice choice of Caddies lol.

I did a 10.5 quart flush and refill with Dexron VI through the cooler lines and also a new filter. When putting in the new fluid I also put in a bottle of Lubegard Shutterfix which is for exactly this issue. Not sure if it was the additive or the new fluid or combination of both but the problem has gone away and the tranny behaves great.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
08-13-09, 09:14 PM
i did plan soon to do the tranny filter and fluid, like i said car is low low low miles but it sat up for a while. my brother mentioned something like what your saying shutterfix. he said it swells the seals up and lubricates something. guess if its not 100 degrees with 80% humidty or raining this weekend, i have some work to do.

i'll keep updated if it works or doesnt work

heres a pic a few months old, both cars

it doesnt sit high in the back like that anymore, had a problem with the leveling switch

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/SlimmSaltine/IMAGE_052.jpg

pretty clean underneath for a 1995

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/SlimmSaltine/IMAGE_060.jpg

the 68

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/845/581/2110290306_medium.jpg

HUF
10-01-09, 02:50 PM
I wish the underbody of my 95 FWB were as clean as yours. How's your tranny shudder? I have got some shudder as well.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-01-09, 04:07 PM
yea its clean b/c the guy i got it from garaged it and hardly drove it. he died and the family pushed the car outside and left it for 4 years. i got intouch with them and they said make an offer. i bought the car with 16,495 miles on it, you have to expect it to be pretty clean after all them years and low miles

anyway i made another ost just yesterday, i changed the filter and tranny fluid and the shutter was less noticable but still there. since its getting cooler here i turned the A/C off last night and everything went away, it drove perfect, i put the A/C back on and it went to the shuttering.

know im trying to figure out whats causing it

this is after a putting a little dressing under the hood. its a real clean car. couldnt pass it up for the $1000 i offered and got it for or the $200 bill of sale we wrote up to pay less taxes

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/SlimmSaltine/DSC01277.jpg

HUF
10-01-09, 04:40 PM
Your shutter seems to be ignition-related.
Here in MA they do not care of the bill of sale, they calculate the sales tax based on NADA value.
Change the coolant.

Stingroo
10-01-09, 04:47 PM
Yikes! I hope Florida doesn't do it like that... I think I need to call. lol

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-01-09, 05:33 PM
here they do it on how much the vehicle sold for. but after so many years they dont check on it. stuff like 2000 back you can do whatever price. you cant however do a $500 bill of sale for 2008 F250

just wondering why change the coolant. and from the start i suspected ignition it was just a weird problem. i can do the cap/rotor, wires and plugs but are there any sensors i should check or anything like that

HUF
10-01-09, 06:21 PM
here they do it on how much the vehicle sold for. but after so many years they dont check on it. stuff like 2000 back you can do whatever price. you cant however do a $500 bill of sale for 2008 F250

just wondering why change the coolant. and from the start i suspected ignition it was just a weird problem. i can do the cap/rotor, wires and plugs but are there any sensors i should check or anything like that

Your coolant contains corrosion inhibitors which deplete in two years.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-01-09, 07:12 PM
ok, see you learn something new everyday

csbuckn
10-01-09, 11:23 PM
Your shutter seems to be ignition-related.

I'm with HUF on this one. You should pull a spark plug out and see what it looks like. Doing plugs and wires after 4+ years sounds good, along with oil, coolant and brake fluid.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-02-09, 01:39 AM
i might do that tommorow.i did however change a few things when i got it. like

fuel, fuel pump, fuel filter, tires, battery, oil and filter ( it looked almost new too, it wasnt black) cleaned the injectors too, just done the tranny fluid and filter

i just dont want to have to do that optispark right now.

so cap. plugs and wires, and change coolant.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-02-09, 01:50 AM
i know the car has them platinum plugs, probally bosch, i was looking on pepboys site and what do you recommend. they have some here but there 8.99 and im not gonna spend damn near $100 on plugs

Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs (RTK)
Cover-To-Cover information Iridium And Platinum Plug

PLATINUM IR FUSION - DO NOT GAP. GAP IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. - FLEETWOOD

* 8 per Vehicle

94-96

$8.99

Normally Stocked
Cover-To-Cover information Platinum Plus 4 Plug

DO NOT GAP. GAP IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. - FLEETWOOD

* 8 per Vehicle

94-96

$5.99

Normally Stocked
Cover-To-Cover information Platinum 2 Plug

DO NOT GAP. GAP IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. - FLEETWOOD

* 8 per Vehicle

94-96

$4.99

Normally Stocked
Bosch Platinum Plus Spark Plugs (BSA)
Cover-To-Cover information Platinum Plug

PLATINUM PLUS - FLEETWOOD

* 8 per Vehicle

94-96

$2.99

Normally Stocked
Bosch Super Plus Spark Plugs (BSC)
Cover-To-Cover information Spark Plug

SUPER PLUS - ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT IS PLATINUM. - FLEETWOOD

* 8 per Vehicle

94-96

$1.99

Normally Stocked

HUF
10-02-09, 02:28 AM
I would rather suspect the wires than plugs at that mileage. Nevertheless, sometimes platinum plugs lose pad electrodes. If it happens you will definitely have miss. Inspect the plugs visually. If they look okay, leave them alone.

csbuckn
10-02-09, 09:14 AM
If you do need to change the plugs, all the fancy stuff isnt needed. The ones that are 2.99 will work just fine. Though the Iridium plugs are supposed to be good too but I cant justify $75 for plugs.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-02-09, 02:07 PM
i dont even know why i had bosch on my head, maybe cuz i work for ford, but drive gm's. i should know better that gm uses ac delco

anyway i went ahead and got the cap/rotor, wires and plugs. $7 a peice for the factory replacement delco platinums.

i also ordered the coolant but instead of orange they sent green. is orange required or will green work. i know some engines will mess up with the wrong coolant

gives me something to do saturday

csbuckn
10-02-09, 09:51 PM
I've never seen orange coolant

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-02-09, 10:00 PM
i was going by this sites info, list damn near everything for the fleetwood

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html

ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Surge Tank Cap Relief: 15 psi (104 kPa)
Thermostat Starts to Open: 180 degrees F (82 C)
Water Pump Type: Centrifugal (spur gear driven by the camshaft)
Drive Belt: Serpentine Belt
Radiator Core: Hi-Efficiency Aluminum
Type: Reverse Flow Cooling System
Coolant: Dex-Cool (unique orange color - rated to last 100,000 miles or 5 years. AKA Havoline Extended Life Antifreeze).
Radiator Cooling Fans: Dual Electric Fans with a 150-watt primary (RH) fan and a 100-watt secondary (LH) fan - Primary (RH) Fan ON 225 F (107 C), Secondary (LH) Fan ON 232 F (111 C)
Radiator Cooling Fan (Heavy-Duty): Mechanical belt driven Centrifugal thermostatic clutch fan (primary) and 240-watt (LH) electric fan (secondary).

working at a body shop o think i seen 5 different color antifreezes

so is the green ok.

HUF
10-02-09, 10:27 PM
Orange is Dexcool. Your car came with green coolant. Stay with green. GM also added coolant supplement (Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder you can buy from Wal-Mart is the same stuff made by the same company). I personally add that powder every time I change coolant in my cars. Bothe the user manual and the factory service manual mention coolant supplement as a must.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
10-03-09, 03:07 AM
like i said, i was going by that info. i have green and my neighbor has about 4 gallons of orange, i always want to do things 1 time. if green is ok thats what im going with

cadillac531
01-02-11, 09:41 PM
Hello:

Did you get your trans shutter fixed? I had the same issue with my 94 FWB. After everyone told me opti, TCC solonoid, other sensors, etc, etc, I decided to flush the transmission and it completely rectified the whole issue. If you haven't flushed the trans, try that before you mess with the opti or other issues.

Let me know if this helps you.
Constantine

CadillacPimpinNOLA
01-03-11, 01:02 AM
i fixed it by putting another transmission in it...found one on craigslist that the guy said was a 95, turns out it was a 94 which is better cause it dont have the garbage ass pwm solenoid. paid $250 for it and no more problems with it. my brother and i put it in, in my driveway, few hours job cause i didnt have the tranny jack at the house but fairly simple

HUF
01-03-11, 07:01 PM
It seems to be next to impossible to tell whether a shutter is caused with engine or transmission...

CadillacPimpinNOLA
01-03-11, 07:48 PM
mine was definatly transmission, shop said from sitting so long without being run the clutches and stuff dried up and prematurely failed giving me all my problems...like i said a new transmission and im 100