: Swaping A From Y To 9

94CaddyConcours
07-23-04, 05:15 PM
:) If I Change My Engine From Y To 9 What Other Part Do I Also Have To Change

bbozsik
07-23-04, 10:48 PM
Off the top of my head, transmission and PCM.

Seriously, the vin 9 engine (L37, I think is the code, could be wrong here) has a transaxle with a different final drive than the vin Y. You could swap the final drive inside the transaxles, but it would probably be far less expensive to find a used transaxle. The PCMs are also different. And I believe if you changed the PCM you would have to reprogram the other computers in the car, ACP, RSS, EBTCM to match the vin stored in the PCM.

There may by other small differences I'm not aware of. Axles, mounting bolts, brakes, wiring harness? Search for other people's oppinions, most shy away from this major as it appears a major headache.

eldorado1
07-24-04, 01:55 AM
Off the top of my head, transmission and PCM.

Seriously, the vin 9 engine (L37, I think is the code, could be wrong here) has a transaxle with a different final drive than the vin Y. You could swap the final drive inside the transaxles, but it would probably be far less expensive to find a used transaxle. The PCMs are also different. And I believe if you changed the PCM you would have to reprogram the other computers in the car, ACP, RSS, EBTCM to match the vin stored in the PCM.

There may by other small differences I'm not aware of. Axles, mounting bolts, brakes, wiring harness? Search for other people's oppinions, most shy away from this major as it appears a major headache.

Axles, mounts, etcetc are exactly the same. The final drive assembly can easily be swapped out in a matter of minutes. Just unbolt the tail housing, and swap it out. In fact, it may even be cheaper for you to just swap the PCM, intake cams, and final drive gears.

94CaddyConcours
07-24-04, 01:25 PM
Too many crap to do, im afraid that I might mess up.

Aurora By Olds
07-25-04, 10:48 AM
There is absolutely nothing you have to change to swap a Y into a 9. The engines (mounts, everything) are completely identical, minus 2 cams. The only reason the transaxle gears were different was to compensate for the loss in torque that arises with the higher lift cams in he 300hp model.
If youre afraid of the car being slower (which it will be with the higher gears your 275hp model came with), you can change out the transaxle and PCM and the 300hp drivetrain will work fine.
You can also take the 275hp intake cams from your original motor, swap them into the 300hp motor, and voila...you've created the same exact 275hp motor you originally started with.