: Wet floor when a/c running.

robb257731
08-04-09, 10:04 AM
I took my 92 Brougham out for a long drive to the beach yesterday, and ran the a/c the entire trip. It was a 1.5 hour drive there. When we arrived, my friend put his bare foot down on the floor and told me it was wet. Anyway, after 4 hours at the beach and another 1.5 hour drive home (again with the a/c running) I thought I'd better check the floor, and it was SOAKED with freezing cold water. The water seemed to be running down from the top of the transmission hump on the passenger side, so right under the a/c. There was no water on the driver side. When I opened the hood, everything in the engine compartment looked dry as a bone, but I wasn't about to start poking around the hot engine.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this? I was hoping to sell this car, but now I'm thinking I'm going to strip it for parts, but I'm going to give it until the end of the summer to see if I get any offers.

jayoldschool
08-04-09, 12:03 PM
It is water that is condensing on the evaporator, then dripping off. It should be dripping out through a hole on the firewall below the heater hoses. I know that on the 93-96 cars there is supposed to be a little rubber elbow in that hole that turns 90 degrees towards the ground. Without the elbow, airflow pushes the water back into the passenger compartment, and then it can seep past the seams of the heater box to drip into the car. Some people have removed the bottom of the heater box and sealed it with silicone before replacing it.

carnut
08-05-09, 11:07 PM
Hard to see without the car elevated on a rack. Engine side of firewall passenger side below the heater hoses. Use a wet/dry shop vacuum to pull as much water up as possible, then use baking soda to soak up the moisture under the carpet in the floor pad.

robb257731
08-06-09, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the tips guys...I'll keep them in mind if I have the same issue with my 1991. I actually sold the 1992 last night!

Picture this...I'm taking the guy for a test drive when out of the corner of my eye I see streams of water suddenly start coming down from under the dash on the passenger side....we're talking like a watering can. Fortunately the guy was wearing workboots and not sandals.

Anyway...he wasn't concerned about it, and said he likes working on cars, so hopefully it's a good fit.

Stingroo
08-07-09, 02:45 AM
What did you end up getting for it? I remember you had a price thread too.