: This is unreal.

papaisrollin
08-03-09, 11:02 PM
First the timing chain goes on the sts @ 53000 miles...I'm dealing with cadillac customer relations on that issue. Then I had to call em back why? The dealership calls me today and tells me someone stole my. Twenty inch rims! Right off the car at the dealership! They assume no responsibility I'm livid. It was very hard to maintain my composure at work. THIS SHIT AIN'T OVER! MORRIES CADILLAC GOLDENVALLEY MN

K STS
08-03-09, 11:08 PM
Wow, i wasn't aware you could use the word "shit" in the title. Interesting.

AllWheelEric
08-03-09, 11:25 PM
Wow, that sucks! I can't imagine having to place the call to break that news to you.

widmann@hotmail.com
08-03-09, 11:39 PM
wow, that sucks on soooo many levels.. Did you sign something when you dropped off the car? I think the "not our problem" defense is weak. if your insurance doesn't cover it, i would definately hitup the dealer..

papaisrollin
08-03-09, 11:46 PM
I didn't sign anything. I had the dealer tow it there for inspection. I'm ****ing pissed I'm going there tommorow. They said that if something is stolen off their lot while in their possesion they are not liable. Contacting bbb as well insurance claims mean deductibles. My car should be safe at the dealership!

Force-1
08-04-09, 12:06 AM
There's a Pontiac/GMC dealership near my house. They had a used '07 Z06 Corvette out front, in plain sight of a very busy intersection. Someone stole all 4 wheels off it one night last month.

So much for being safe at the dealership.

mbnv992
08-04-09, 12:23 AM
That really does suck ! Most dealerships (at least the ones in my area) all have surveillance camaras constantly monitoring thier lots. So, maybe that can lead to something ??

papaisrollin
08-04-09, 01:46 AM
This has been my worst experience ever.

freshchops
08-04-09, 02:23 AM
Man!!! I could really rant, but fact is, it wouldn't make you feel any better. I don't want to add fuel to the fire. Like you, I would have a VERY hard time with them telling me that they are not liable! That just doesn't seem right!?!? I thought most dealerships, especially the service section and cars in service were usually locked up usually in a chain link fence (when not left in the shop overnight)? I would fight that as well as possible without anyone getting hurt (or spat on).

As far as the timing chain @ 53k..... did you have an extension warranty? How much is that expected to cost? I don't mean it if this sounds sarcastic, but that really puts an emphasis on the point to invest in those extended warranties. I hope you were set with this.

Sorry 'bout your situation, hopefully it all works out. As for your little rim swipers, karma is a bio'tch!

jamesbalzer
08-04-09, 02:36 AM
The dealership is responsible for securing your vehicle (once it is signed into their possession) as well as they secure their own. Remember: They too, have insurance! On a final note, Cadillac Customer Care is a joke. They should call them "Cadillac Customer We don't give a crap" because we already have your money. Welcome to "Government Motors" folks, it's a slippery slope from here.

miked
08-04-09, 03:41 AM
My sister had her car stolen off the dealer lot . . . .

freshchops
08-04-09, 05:31 AM
My sister had her car stolen off the dealer lot . . . .

What kind of f***-tard steals a car from a lot. I mean, you gotta assume it's sitting on the lot w/ problems, there for a reason. So you jack a car off the lot, you're taking a 50/50 chance your driving off of the lot in a vehicle with questionable dependency. Image if it's sitting there waiting for replacement parts w/ a blown gasket or something.... even funnier, they're attempting a getaway w/ it and it straight fails on them.

Kinda makes me wonder though, it would make more sense if it were inside jobs, perhaps shop crew w/ big eyes.... and grimey friends!

BTW, did the dealer take responsibility for your sisters stolen car?

Jesda
08-04-09, 07:40 AM
I hope a dealership employee isn't complicit in the theft.

ewill3rd
08-04-09, 09:05 AM
Many dealerships have adopted this position.
I think legally they are responsible for what they do to the vehicle and I hate to speculate as to anything else but most places have surveilance equipment or night security in place to help prevent such things or aid in prosecution.
You might check your state and local laws before you get your feathers all ruffled.
It might be just as easy to notify your insurance company and let them handle it as if the car were parked on the street or in your driveway.

Your state laws may be set up to protect the business in the event of this type of loss.

Aurora5000
08-04-09, 10:02 AM
You better contact an attorney...

WillySTS
08-04-09, 12:35 PM
I would assume other states are different, but in Kali, you can NEVER sign away your rights. We do a walk around every vehile and mark everything to make sure the vehilce leaves the way it came in. We do, however, ask that you remove your valuables from the vehicle as we are NOT responsible for those, and signs are posted with that message also. I have seen cases when we, the dealer, did replace items stolen off the car. But, if the car was stolen,that goes through your own insurance.

In the case of stolen wheels, sometimes dealership employees are behind it. I've seen this also.

z06bigbird
08-04-09, 12:54 PM
Wow, i wasn't aware you could use the word "shit" in the title. Interesting.

As others have stated, you can learn tons of things on this forum!!

Do a search.

z06bigbird
08-04-09, 01:00 PM
You better contact an attorney...

Wheels = < $3,000.

Atty = > $3,000 if you go to court.

Letter from atty might work.

BTW, check the fine print on the work order. It typically says owner is responsible for vehicle and contents. Also, if one of their employees wrecks the vehicle, owner releases driver from liability. (Both of these are typically in the fine print.) I always scratch out the second one.

z06bigbird
08-04-09, 01:05 PM
First the timing chain goes on the sts @ 53000 miles...I'm dealing with cadillac customer relations on that issue. Then I had to call em back why? The dealership calls me today and tells me someone stole my. Twenty inch rims! Right off the car at the dealership! They assume no responsibility I'm livid. It was very hard to maintain my composure at work. THIS SHIT AIN'T OVER! MORRIES CADILLAC GOLDENVALLEY MN

Follow chain of command and go to service mgr asking him for help.
May or may not work.

BTW, some 05 and 06 3.6s are having this problem. If out of warr, GM will not assist at this time (economy). Considering the fact that you are so close to 50k, you might be lucky. Offer to pay 10% to 25% of bill. They might bite on that.

EChas3
08-04-09, 01:39 PM
About 5 years ago in SE Wisconsin, there was a group stealing a few cars off the lots of each area dealer. A few weeks would pass and a few more cars disappeared. Parts started showing up and the police eventually cracked the ring. Some of the poorly run operations couldn't report when the cars were stolen!

Now they all use security cameras and/or gates.

next2pool
08-04-09, 04:22 PM
Many times, logic prevails in these cases. Signing a work order does not relieve a dealer of the responsibiblity to protect your property regardless of the wording on the piece of paper. Posted signs such as "not responsible.." are not enforceable regardless of what they put on them--they may antagonize a lot of folks but it doesn't carry much weight. It usually comes down to what is reasonably expected when you enter a facility or use their services. A reasonable outcome for all of this will be that your vehicle is repaired and restored to it's original condition at no cost to you.

trackbait
08-04-09, 06:54 PM
What you have here is a case of what is legally known as "bailment". You have entrusted someone else (the dealer) to take all reasonable precautions to make sure while the poperty is in their possession you get it back in the same as when you left it.

That "bailment" ties into the dealers overall insurance, which among other things has what is called Garage Keepers Liability. The bailment of your car to them them falls under Garage Keepers in the event they are liable for damage or theft of your car or any parts while in their care, custody and control. The KEY word here is Liable. Were they "negligent" or failed to do what any other normal reasonable prudent person would have done in similar circumstances? If the answer is NO, they are not liable. YES, they are not.

There are some things beyond the control or a business HAS done all that is reasonably expected (dogs, security guards, CCTV cameras, fenced and locked, etc etc)

Long and short.. Let YOUR insurance company fight it out with their company over this legal issue. Far less stress for you..

tonysailor
09-07-09, 11:02 PM
File a police report!!

Report it to the local TV station sometimes their investigator reporters can help.

Small claims court and subpoena everyone that came in contact with your car, if they don't show tell the Judge you can't procede because your the people you sent a subpoena didn't show (no you don't have to pay them) and the judge will delay court and send a arrest warrant for them to show.

Then when everyone shows ask the clerk to make you the last one. They will usually lose a whole day' pay. after lunch ask for a continuance..

contact their insurance company submit a claim that way

Get a bill board and some friends and wall on the PUBLIC sidewalk saying that the dealership (what ever you want to say) contact the local TV station.

Many ways to get ugly people to do the right thing.

NEVER yell, cuss, threaten be polite kind, always take notes, dates, names and even get a pocket recorder.

Best of luck

Tony

EChas3
09-08-09, 01:21 PM
Let YOUR insurance company fight it out with their company over this legal issue.

A good insurance company will make this their problem. You may have to cough-up your deductable up front, but they have expert lawyers that you pay to have available.

This is something to consider when evaluating car insurance. Good service can be worth a lot when you need it.