: Wheel Locks

nynd
08-03-09, 08:01 PM
Anyone purchase a set? I've see some pics from previous posts that said they were for the Escalade as well and stuck out longer than the normal lugs.

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 08:14 PM
I've seen those same pictures, and those locks were butt ugly. I don't remember seeing pics of a good proper fitting set yet, so I will bet that those are the only available from GM for our cars.

nynd
08-03-09, 09:05 PM
LOL - thanks again Gary! Butt ugly is correct. Thats why I was seeing if there was anything else out there. I came across some Mcguard and some no names on Ebay - seaching wheel locks for Cts-v and the ones on ebay seem alright. Link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOCKING-LUG-NUTS-WHEEL-LOCKS-CADILLAC-CTS-V-ESCALADE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em1 4QQhashZitem19b2bfbaefQQitemZ110373092079QQptZMoto rsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5722wt_9 68

wait4me
08-03-09, 09:08 PM
If someone wants your rims, no lock is going to save them. Napa sells kits that are as cheap as the sockets themselves that will just pull off any lock... That is what insurance is for. Besides.. If a set comes up missing, im sure we all would be able to track them down when someone goes to sell them.....

chopmeat
08-03-09, 09:08 PM
That was me!
I gave those back and never got anything else....

tedcmiller
08-03-09, 10:53 PM
The issue of wheel locks for the 2009 CTS-V has been discussed in many previous threads on this forum. I purchased a set of Gorilla wheel locks P/N 61641 because they are almost the same length as the stock lug nuts and incorporate a rotating sleeve that prevents using channel locks or oversized sockets to remove the wheel locks. They are the correct thread and diameter (which changed in 2009 when the CTS-V went to five lug nuts instead of six). These wheel lock can be seen on the Gorilla web site. All previous wheel locks provided by GM have been either Gorilla or McGard. Right now, all available McGard wheel locks of the correct thread and diameter are are too long. The correct lug nut size is 14x1.5 mm (a metric, not SAE size) with a conical seat.

thatcoder
08-08-09, 10:12 PM
The issue of wheel locks for the 2009 CTS-V has been discussed in many previous threads on this forum. I purchased a set of Gorilla wheel locks P/N 61641 because they are almost the same length as the stock lug nuts and incorporate a rotating sleeve that prevents using channel locks or oversized sockets to remove the wheel locks. They are the correct thread and diameter (which changed in 2009 when the CTS-V went to five lug nuts instead of six). These wheel lock can be seen on the Gorilla web site. All previous wheel locks provided by GM have been either Gorilla or McGard. Right now, all available McGard wheel locks of the correct thread and diameter are are too long. The correct lug nut size is 14x1.5 mm (a metric, not SAE size) with a conical seat.

thanks for the info... ordered a set, and installed them. they work nice.

MReiland
08-09-09, 07:24 AM
I have had a variety of lock nuts on my rims before and finally gave up on that idea for similar reasons to WFM. (These weren't on a V but they were the lock nuts that have the random flower pattern key that fits into a mating pattern from I believe McGuard) In 2 different cases when I actually needed to get the rims off, the key broke. Now in the past I may not have been as careful as you all here and actually checked the torque at regular intervals, and stood by the guy when the tires were getting rotated and balanced to make sure he didn't use an air wrench and did it all by hand like I told him.... You get the point, all it takes is someone tightening then too tight and kiss the key good by, 1 I had to wait for a new key from FedEx, the other they had to, gulp, air-chissel off the get the wheel off. If you are going to use lock nuts of this type be aware of the drawbacks, and NEVER use a air wrench on them. If someone really wants anything they eventually are going to get them, or screw up your rim trying to get around the lock. If you park somewhere where rims are getting taken off your car on a semi-regular basis you may want a second car to go where ever that is with some nice steel rims and hub-caps IMHO.....

Gary Wells
08-09-09, 08:52 AM
I thought that the new TSB for torquing the wheel lug nuts down to 158 LBS was the new GM Sponsored & Approved wheel lock security system.

zr1vet
08-09-09, 09:34 AM
^
lol

tedcmiller
08-10-09, 12:08 AM
Threre are no GM sponsored and approved wheel locks for the 2009 CTS-V. I hope Gary Wells was joking when he made his post.

Gary Wells
08-10-09, 04:36 AM
Threre are no GM sponsored and approved wheel locks for the 2009 CTS-V. I hope Gary Wells was joking when he made his post.
I thought that it was funny, but then again I have a weird sense of humor. I am sure that lug nots torqued to 158 Lbs has stopped at lease a few more puny thief's.

mik2718
08-10-09, 07:20 AM
I thought that the new TSB for torquing the wheel lug nuts down to 158 LBS was the new GM Sponsored & Approved wheel lock security system.

Well, I for one found this observation entertaining and humorous! Thanks, Gary.

Greg*
08-10-09, 01:58 PM
Threre are no GM sponsored and approved wheel locks for the 2009 CTS-V.

GM part#17801711 will fit the 09' V despite what the GM Direct parts web site list. I have confimed this by using a Vin# off a 09' V. The GM catalog list this kit to include 4 locks and 20 nuts that are all chrome and are M14 X 1.5.

tedcmiller
08-10-09, 02:20 PM
OK. These are new and were not available when I first started looking. However, I wanted a set of wheel locks only. This P/N includes the extra nuts for the other lugs and costs a minimum of $110 even through mail order ( I saw one price of $170). Also, none of these entries provide any descriptive information (McGard, Gorilla, etc. or other key). I paid about $50 for a set of four Gorilla wheel locks locally, and I knew exactly what I was getting.

thatcoder
08-10-09, 02:41 PM
my gorilla locks were 17bux from amazon.

tedcmiller
08-10-09, 08:44 PM
To thatcoder: Do your "17bux" Gorilla wheel locks have a rotating ring to defeat the schemes described below?

Note that Gorilla wheel locks use a different approach than McGard to encoding the wheel locks. I think (this is only an opinion) that the Gorilla key is less likely to break than the McGard. However, without the rotating rings provided by the kind that I use, it would be possible to drive a socket on to the Gorilla locks and remove them. Any type of wheel lock that is too long (that is, it sticks out from the wheel too far) like McGard or Gorilla (without the Gorilla rotating ring) could be removed using large channel locks.

thatcoder
08-11-09, 03:48 PM
To thatcoder: Do your "17bux" Gorilla wheel locks have a rotating ring to defeat the schemes described below?

Note that Gorilla wheel locks use a different approach than McGard to encoding the wheel locks. I think (this is only an opinion) that the Gorilla key is less likely to break than the McGard. However, without the rotating rings provided by the kind that I use, it would be possible to drive a socket on to the Gorilla locks and remove them. Any type of wheel lock that is too long (that is, it sticks out from the wheel too far) like McGard or Gorilla (without the Gorilla rotating ring) could be removed using large channel locks.

yes, it has a rotating barrel.

nynd
08-11-09, 03:52 PM
thatcoder- do you have the part number for the ones ordered? And do they stick out?

thatcoder
08-11-09, 03:58 PM
Summit Racing
GOR-61641
$18.39

or

Amazon
Gorilla 61641
$17.37

No, they don't stick out.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5400_114603921389_622176389_2165947_1661258_n.jpg

nynd
08-11-09, 04:22 PM
Awesome!

nynd
08-11-09, 04:23 PM
Also - anyone find a good rim polish to bring out the shine in the polished wheels? I've trying mothers mag rim polish but doesn't have the get up I'm looking for..

Gary Wells
08-11-09, 06:39 PM
I am pretty sure that those polished rims are clear-coated after polishing, and if that's the case, you need to be careful what polish that you use. Mother's mag polish is designed for bare aluminum, I believe. If those are clear-coated, I would not use anything other than a good clean & polish type polish / wax. Just my $.02 worth. HTH

nynd
08-11-09, 11:39 PM
Good point and point well taken.

Anyone else know where you can purchase these Gorilla Locks? I sent Gorilla-Auto an email only to have it bounce back. Amazon won't ship to Canada... so.. still searching. Does Pep Boys or Autozone carry them? Thinking of making a trip to the lovely USA.

thatcoder
08-12-09, 06:24 AM
SummitRacing ships to canada.

tedcmiller
08-12-09, 01:31 PM
thatcoder, those wheel locks look exactly like mine. I guess you got a much better deal dollar-wise.

nynd, Gary Wells is correct. Be careful what you do. It should be noted that polished rims are just that - polished, not chrome plated. The lug nuts provided with the rims are polished also. As a result, the chrome plated wheel locks look a little more shiny than the lug nuts. Your can see this in the photo provided by thatcoder. I doubt that you will ever be able to make a polished finish look like chrome plating.

Regarding souces for these wheel locks, I bought mine at the local Discount Tire store. I did this because I knew that Gorilla does not do mail order. They only sell through other distributors. thatcoder indicates that SummitRacing ships to Canada. As far as AutoZone and Pep Boys are concerned, I haven't looked at AutoZone recently and Pep Boys only carried McGard the last time I looked.

neuronbob
08-12-09, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the tip. I live about 15 minutes from Summit Racing's main store, so guess where I'm going this weekend?

An aside: do those of you who have the Gorilla locks still have the low-speed front wheel clicking?

jzchen
06-05-10, 11:32 AM
If someone wants your rims, no lock is going to save them. Napa sells kits that are as cheap as the sockets themselves that will just pull off any lock... That is what insurance is for. Besides.. If a set comes up missing, im sure we all would be able to track them down when someone goes to sell them.....

Well, I just ordered a Gorilla "The Original System" wheel locks, Part# 71643N. Whoever tries to steal my wheels will have to get through 20 locks first. I will report back on how they fit and look. They aren't acorn bulge, but the tech support at Gorilla Auto said they are the same locks that come with their acorn bulge kits, 61943, 61943HT, 91943, 91943HT, or 91743.

I found measuring one lug nut to be a little less than 1.4", (I think 1.375",) so I think the 1.4" kits should fit best. I'm just a little worried about how thin they will look in the holes on the wheels.

GMX322V S/C
06-05-10, 12:36 PM
Jesse, I tried the equivalent 1 lock + 4 non-locks; painted black with my black chrome wheels, they looked like beady little eyes. The wheel lug wells are huge. I ended up going back to the stock lugs with 61641 locks.

Lambo
06-05-10, 08:59 PM
Thank you 'thatcoder', this is why I love these forums! I just ordered my set on amazon added an $8 dollar Blu-ray movie and got free shipping too!

jzchen
06-06-10, 12:27 AM
Jesse, I tried the equivalent 1 lock + 4 non-locks; painted black with my black chrome wheels, they looked like beady little eyes. The wheel lug wells are huge. I ended up going back to the stock lugs with 61641 locks.

Ah, just what I was worried about. Thanks my friend! I already spent the money and it's on its way so I'm just going to live with it. It may be easier to steal though because there is so much space around them to work with...

jzchen
06-10-10, 02:32 AM
I just wanted to post my findings:

The nuts are much narrower than the factory ones, and the contact area on the wheel was a concern of mine after attaching one lock and then removing it to see the scoring on the surface. (It reached the top edge of the "/" surface.) After closely examining an original nut I noticed the bottom edge of the "/" didn't seem to be contacting the wheel, while the bottom edge of the lock does, so I don't think the surface area contact difference is too much to worry about. I decided to continue to put all the locks on.

I also have pics of what 71641N would look like with 4 factory nuts as the locks should be the same if anyone is interested.

groovyone
03-09-11, 03:18 PM
Huge thanks to the person who suggested the Gorilla locks with the P/N. Mine are now on the way for just over $12! Way better than the $100+ the Caddy dealer wanted and the $45 for the GMC ones.

Torxila
03-09-11, 08:30 PM
I got my Go-rillas for $23.95/set of 4, at my local Discount Tire. (he ordered them in for me) Same length as stock lugs, & look great.
George

bobbo27
03-21-11, 06:59 PM
guys, does anyone know if Gorilla locks are sold in Canada>?

B

jzchen
03-22-11, 02:39 AM
guys, does anyone know if Gorilla locks are sold in Canada>?

B

You could always call them and ask: 323-585-2852 Website is www.gorilla-auto.com.

jzchen
11-08-11, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tip. I live about 15 minutes from Summit Racing's main store, so guess where I'm going this weekend?

An aside: do those of you who have the Gorilla locks still have the low-speed front wheel clicking?

I have the locks I mentioned. Left front wheel started "clicking." I waited until morning when the car was cold and loosened and retorqued each bolt. Clicking went away so far...