: Shaky steering wheel with new rims/tires

RedExt05
08-03-09, 08:26 PM
Just installed 22's on 305/45/22 Goodyears. Installer had to cut some plastic in the wheel well but still hearing a little rubbing! Damn, I may need to go somewhere else to fix properly. Thought all would be ok. Main issue though, while driving the steering wheel is shaky as if I am driving over bumpy roads. Truck doesn't drift. Any suggestions on what it may be? :hmm: Anyone else have the same problems? Possibly need an alignment? Wheels were balances when tires was put on them. Any good shops known in the DC/MD area? Just relocated here. 2005 EXT.

Trying to download pics but error msg on the size of my jpegs...using a Mac

luxurylife33
08-03-09, 09:21 PM
Most general auto repair shops do not have the proper wheel balancer for 22's. I had to go to a couple diffrent shops to find someone willing to do it and they came out great. Im 99.9% positive your wheels were not correctly balanced.... try and find a performance shop or shop specializing in tires/rims only.

RedExt05
08-03-09, 09:57 PM
Will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. The first tire place I went to referred them out to a 2nd tire shop that had a machine big enough to support the rims, but they did not want to do any modifications to the truck. Went to another place who put them on the truck. Maybe I assumed they were balanced.:banghead:

Ken 05 EXT
08-03-09, 10:57 PM
When I put 22's on my 05 EXT I was so mad because the steering wheel shook and it rode terrible. Had the shop take it for a ride and they agreed with me . They tried all kind of things including spacers. Finally said the tires were bad and replaced all four. Now there is not a big difference in the ride from my orginal 17's. No shake at all.

RedExt05
08-03-09, 11:15 PM
What type tires were they? What modification(s) if any were needed in your front wheel wells? One shop told me if i got 305/40/22 instead of 45 they would not have had to do any modifications. You agree with that?

luxurylife33
08-03-09, 11:23 PM
What type tires were they? What modification(s) if any were needed in your front wheel wells? One shop told me if i got 305/40/22 instead of 45 they would not have had to do any modifications. You agree with that?

I have that exact setup on my OEM 09 22's .... they rubbed for about 3 days, the plastic trimmed itself... I didnt cut anything

Ken 05 EXT
08-04-09, 12:11 AM
My tires are Kumho Ecsta STX 305/40 22 with chrome Akuza Creepin AKA 324 22x9.5 with a 18 offset. Never a rub or bottom out with no modifications. Ride and handle is excellent.

RedExt05
08-16-09, 11:09 PM
Found a spot yesterday and was able to get the wheels balanced. One wheel needed 8.75 oz and the other 5 oz....seemed like a small amount to me but it appears to have done the job. Going home, had none to minimal steering wheel shaking. Will put it on the road tomorrow and see if it still goes well. Thanks for the input.