: Need help with Starter Problem!

zerocarpileup
08-03-09, 07:09 PM
Ok so here is the story. I try to start my truck last night and i got was the sound of the selenoid clicking, the gear was not pushing the flywheel. So this morning i replaced the starter and the selenoid and now when i start it i can hear the selenoid click and i hear and see the flywheel turning. So the starter is working. but still no start. It sounds like the truck is out of gas, but its not. I remember with the old starter, my friend and i were trying to arch the starter with a screwdriver and it gave a huge spark. We tried it again and got no spark. So im thinking we blew something. I have checked every fuse and relay possible but still nothing. What could this be? Maybe a fusible link i fried? Please help.

sk7
08-03-09, 07:32 PM
I'm sure you unplugged the battery before removing the old starter? That would prevent unwanted sparks! This reminds me of an old winter beater I had; replaced the starter twice before realizing the ground strap from the body to the engine was rotten inside. I was trying to knock on the starter with a long flat screwdriver while my gf was holding the key in the start position and boom, a bunch of sparks fly!!! Wtf? The screwdriver made ground from the engine to the body, allowing starter to activate. You can use jumper cables to the battery and to the engine to act as ground and even positive side to the solenoid see what happens.

zerocarpileup
08-04-09, 01:36 PM
ok so it seems the new starter is working fine. now it seems like a fuel issue. i just had the fuel pump replaced about a year ago and just right now changed the fuel filter and still nothing. Ive checked all the fuses and relays and the engine still sounds like its out of gas. It turns over but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump turn on. Im sure this had to do with the short that happened when i tried to arch the starter, but what could this have damaged?

zerocarpileup
08-04-09, 05:02 PM
Yea, i guess i really like replying to my own post but, do you guys think this could have anything to do with the Crankshaft Position Sensor? It sits right above the starter, i might have damaged it or the wires while shoving the starter up there. Anyone? Anything?

dswanger
08-04-09, 05:35 PM
Pull one of your spark plug wires from the spark plug, put a Philips screwdriver in the end of the wire and put the shaft by some metal to see if you have SPARK? Then worry about the gas. Donald

zerocarpileup
08-05-09, 02:02 AM
Ok, turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. Thanks for all the help fellow members:vomit:

sk7
08-05-09, 10:39 PM
How did you manage to get the starter outta there? I had to remove the 2 screws holding mine in place to get to the coolant drain plug that's above it, and it doesn't look like there's nuff space to take it down. GM's SI manual says to loosen bolts on the tranny support, but I don't quite understand why or what they mean. Did the CPS get damaged by the jump start or by moving the starter itself?

zerocarpileup
08-06-09, 03:57 PM
the tranny support is basically a piece of thin black plastic that sits in between the starter and the transmission, it covers the flywheel from dust. Its held in by one 10mm bolt. Just loosen it, its gonna help a little bit.Then pry off the heat shield that sits on top of the starter solenoid.Really, your just going to have to patiently wiggle the starter our of there. I found it easier to disconnect he oil pressure sensor that sits underneath the starter first. Then i pushed the starter forward toward the car then up, then once the back of the starter is exposed, just tug the back of it down. be careful as you try to force it out. I ended up screwing my Crankshaft position sensor by pulling out one of the wires from its harness. This sensor sits above the starter so its easy to damage when you reinstall the new starter.

sk7
08-06-09, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tip! GM's manual says to remove the nuts from the front axle mounting bracket, then slide the bolt (being careful not to remove it)till it sits flush. I failed to see how that can help with the starter removal... Here is a pic from service manual:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/Tranny.gif

I would have never guessed the crank sensor to be in this area! Something else to keep in mind...

zerocarpileup
08-07-09, 03:13 AM
Yea, i can see how moving that bolt would somewhat help, but its not necessary. I wouldn't even mess with that bolt, looks like there's a heavy load on it. So yea, just get some good lighting under there and mess around with it and you'l pop it off in no time. i ended up taking it off and on 4 times since the sensor problem was screwing me for 2 days.Well, have fun!