: Hood Alignment

nynd
08-03-09, 06:30 PM
I swear this was already discussed somewhere but can't find it. Does anyone notice the left side of the hood is higher than the right (the gap along the edge of fender and hood). Trying to see whats the easiest way to adjust... any comments?

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 06:47 PM
Under the hood at the front of the car there are 2 hood supports, 1 on each side of the car, covered with a rubber hexagonal cap. I believe that they are right handed thread, which means that you would turn them clockwise to lower that side of the hood, and counter-clockwise to raise that side of the hood. You may or may not be able to adjust enough to get the hood mis-alignment totally out of the hood. I had to do mine also, and used the thickness of a matchbook as a measuring device, inserting it between the hood and the front facia where they come to a point, and reset the hood adjusters accordingly.

nynd
08-03-09, 06:56 PM
Thanks Gary. HOw to you address the rear/side gap? I think your referring to the hood to front grille gap. I was referring to the side of the hood along the fender and hood. Left side seems like 3mm high as you can see into the engine compartment and the other side is tigher (the side with no strut) such that you cant see in.

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 07:13 PM
Mine seems pretty close so I did not look for a means to adjust that. Can't help you there, but I am sure that a more experience owner will chime in here.

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 07:33 PM
You are seeing something that I don't see. If you are referring to the hood to cowl clearance at the rear of the hood, the plastic portion of the cowl is higher on one side more than the other, so i think that you are seeing an optical illusion somewhat. The cowling is not symmetrical and therefore gives more clearance on the one side. Design feature, not an error.

nynd
08-03-09, 07:44 PM
Nope, not the cowl, the actual side. So, if you stand on the side of the car (where the chrome extractor is) and look towards to the gap (between hood and fender) I notice I can see
more inside the engine compartment. If you go to the other side and stand there, it'll be more of a tighter gap, so you don't see to much inside.

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 07:51 PM
OK, on mine, one side is slightly higher than the other side, but not enough to concern me, and as far as the gap on either side, on mine, 1 side is larger that the gap on the other side, but not enough that I feel that it is going to split the difference very easy. The gaps lessen up at the front of the car, and I don't think that there is enough room for adjustment. On mine anyhow.

nynd
08-03-09, 07:57 PM
Yeap - that is what I'm talking about! Not overly concerning but just something someone pointed out and I was thinking, hum... how to address that!

Gary Wells
08-03-09, 08:24 PM
Yeap - that is what I'm talking about! Not overly concerning but just something someone pointed out and I was thinking, hum... how to address that!
Are you sure that it was not one of my posts or threads that brought it up. I have never posted about that particular aspect of hood alignment, but I have brought up several times the hood alignment at the front of the car, which stands out like a sore thumb. I don't think that most people, even peeps would notice what you are talking about. Not that easy to detect. You detected because you are minutely examining your car, (I'll bet) (probably most of us fall under that classification) have noticed every imperfection (minor & otherwise) (me too), and have now homed in on that. Keep in mind that nobody else knows about it, and others casually observe your car, not minutely assess the imperfections. Just my $.02 worth, before Kali taxes, too. If you find a solution, please let me know. I have learned to live with mine. If you consider it simply a characteristic, then you will consider it a part of your car's personality. HTH

nynd
08-03-09, 09:00 PM
Well said!