: where to purchase additional key fob

junedonofrio
08-03-09, 04:49 PM
i bought a pre-owned 08 STS & only have one key fob, my husband really needs his own as he is much taller than i am. i got a price from the dealer of $260.00, Wow that's alot of money. does anyone know where to purchase cheaper that is reliable ?
thanks !

next2pool
08-03-09, 04:57 PM
Ebay is the place--just search "STS Fob" and you will see many come up. make sure you get the newer type for 08 and later--they all have pictures so you will recognize it. Expect to pay about $50 for the later style. Programming is relatively simple and outlined in your owners manual.

junedonofrio
08-03-09, 05:10 PM
Hello, thanks for the reply & i have found one on ebay, it looks exactly like my fob, but i called to check on it & the company advised that it would have to be programed at the dealer, but when i read the book, it sounded like i could program it myself. do you know iif for sure i could program myself ??
thanks !
June

next2pool
08-03-09, 05:30 PM
Hello, thanks for the reply & i have found one on ebay, it looks exactly like my fob, but i called to check on it & the company advised that it would have to be programed at the dealer, but when i read the book, it sounded like i could program it myself. do you know iif for sure i could program myself ??
thanks !
June

I have an 06 and I programed it myself. I sure the 08/09 is the same way. If your book says it can then you will be fine. There are 2 procedures and I suspect you will need to do the more complicated one because your car may have 2 already programmed which means the new one will go in as #3 (and won't allow memory function). That means you will need to erase all settings and re-program the current and new FOBs as #1 and #2. Hope I didn't over complicate the description since it is very easy to do.

Thunder Gray STS
08-03-09, 05:56 PM
Be careful about getting one off of Ebay, I got one that said DTS/STS keyfob, and it was from a DTS. No pull out key in the bottom. My STS sees it as a black hole, and won't program it like it says it should in the owners manual.

KARL DAHLEN
08-03-09, 06:08 PM
Be careful about getting one off of Ebay, I got one that said DTS/STS keyfob, and it was from a DTS. No pull out key in the bottom. My STS sees it as a black hole, and won't program it like it says it should in the owners manual.
I have an 08 and the same thing happened to me. They look the same. Be careful

next2pool
08-03-09, 09:11 PM
Look at the part number on your current fob and the replacement should be the same or 1 digit off in either direction--it may be labeled as "GM/S" with a number after it.

EChas3
08-03-09, 09:28 PM
The manual could be more clear. Try the procedure I wrote up here. (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/157669-key-fob-matching-procedure.html)

freshchops
08-04-09, 01:29 AM
On the subject.....

I have 2 FOBs previously used on my totaled 05 STS. I'm getting an 06 STS-V..... still have the 05's FOBs. Can I re-program these to the new car? once they already been programmed? Could I do it myself or need a dealer?

next2pool
08-04-09, 12:37 PM
Shouldn't be a problem--follow the owners manual or better yet what Echas posted. You can have up to 4 Fobs programmed but only 1 & 2 will carry memory functions. Also, 1 & 2 are identified by the order in which they were programed--not what is written on the back of the Fob

EChas3
08-04-09, 01:02 PM
Shouldn't be a problem--follow the owners manual or better yet what Echas posted. You can have up to 4 Fobs programmed but only 1 & 2 will carry memory functions.

This includes the Remote Start feature.

So when all is said & done, let's say you have one remote for the V (sweet!) and the two spares from your old car. I'd recommend using Method 3 from my post and first matching a Fob with a '1' on the back. Then match a Fob with a '2' on the back. These will be your primary Fob's and will remember Driver Settings & work the Remote Start.

Match the third (or additional) Fobs next and you can have some spares that won't automatically recall Driver Settings or Remote Start the car. Essentially a nice valet or loaner key. You may want to put a small piece of tape on these so as to reduce confusion.:halo: