: Ordered a set of American racing headers.

wait4me
08-03-09, 12:49 PM
Ok guys. I got a set of headers in with no cats.

What are the bets that i can make them work on a stock tune/mods without throwing cat codes even though there are no cats..

As soon as i find exact thickness and placements on this profile, i will post them all with exact locations and depths. Shouldnt take long.

I am going to put header wrap on them first , "to keep underhood temps down and increase efficiency" so ill probably install them tommorrow.

SSideways
08-03-09, 01:15 PM
who did u order it through?
have they fixed the o2 sensor issues?

kck
08-03-09, 01:35 PM
Ok guys. I got a set of headers in with no cats.

What are the bets that i can make them work on a stock tune/mods without throwing cat codes even though there are no cats..

As soon as i find exact thickness and placements on this profile, i will post them all with exact locations and depths. Shouldnt take long.

I am going to put header wrap on them first , "to keep underhood temps down and increase efficiency" so ill probably install them tommorrow.

Jesse:

In earlier posts you have noted how excellent the stock exhaust manifold is on the V, and that replacement headers would not likely provide large performance gains. Itís my understanding that American Racing makes exceptionally fine headers. So will you provide some dyno information comparing the stock V versus the V with headers?

Kyle

wait4me
08-03-09, 01:56 PM
Guys, i have already showed/ dynoed headers vs stock manifolds in stock form. The next test would be for a 600hp car manifold vs headers. But i wont have time this week to do that on my car. I put it all back to stock this weekend so i can set the headers to pass codes without programming software changes.

I am a dealer for the headers. I ordered them straight thru the website.

Am. Racing Headers
08-03-09, 07:31 PM
Folks, we made changes to our bungs. Problem should be non existant. Jesse I highly recommend staying away from header wrap unless it's a race only application. Wrapping headers or coatings are not necessary unless they'll be subjected to extreme high temp conditions for extended periods of time. Wrapping headers also decreases the life expectancy of the system. It's better to coat the headers using Swaintech or Jet- Hot 2400 degree coatings.

Nick

haterinc
08-03-09, 07:42 PM
Nick

I'm looking to pull the trigger on these shortly. Do you sell them pre-coated? And are you saying even these types of coatings are only to be used in extreme conditions... or would the average weekend warrior benefit from these to keep under hood temps down...?

wait4me
08-03-09, 09:17 PM
Thanks Nick, Good info on the wrapping. Usually i do it just to keep the heat up internal and reduce a little on the outside engine compartment. Ill try the jet hot coating instead. I do race the piss out of mine almost every weekend and am / have been floored 80% of the cars life. 100s of dyno runs, ect....

As for the codes. Yes the Am racing guys changed the bungs on the ones shipping out. My test however is to make the codes not show up on a car even without cats in place on my race car. So that should mean no matter what without a reasonable doubt the bung fixes work... With our without cats for our offroad race cars. :)

SlvrBullIT
08-03-09, 10:23 PM
Anyway to get the AMR headers jet hot'd for ready placement? Or will we have to always get the headers then send them off to have it done?

SlvrBullIT
08-03-09, 10:25 PM
So I'm guessing AMR headers, hiflow cats, 3" mid pipes (with x pipe) and corsa exhaust is the best performance exhaust but loud...correct?

Anthony@ARH
08-04-09, 11:37 AM
Our headers do not need a coating due to the high grade of stainless steel we use. However if you would like a coating we would like to talk to you about it before you placed an order so we could get you set up with exactly what you want. Some coatings are better then others. Also the system is mild during normal driving and will be loud once you get on throttle. Please contact us at 631.608.1986 so we could discuss your needs.
Thanks
Anthony

thebigjimsho
08-04-09, 07:05 PM
whenever I think of American Racing, I still think of those old-fashioned wheels old guys put on their hot rods. Or JC Whitney...

Luna.
08-04-09, 09:46 PM
So I'm guessing AMR headers, hiflow cats, 3" mid pipes (with x pipe) and corsa exhaust is the best performance exhaust but loud...correct?

Well, the vid is up, so you can hear it directly. :)

Gary Wells
08-05-09, 04:56 AM
Luna:
Are your headers coated, wrapped, or just plain? Swaintech is the best in the biz for ceramic coating processes. Just my $.02 worth, of course, and I would probably never install headers without some type of coating, and I would never have a car with header wrap, race or otherwise.

haterinc
08-05-09, 11:12 AM
ok, so i'd like some definitive answers on this subject as i am getting headers for my install at the end of the month... for typical street applications with some fun to be had here and there, and some weekends at the track, given the Vs heat issues and under hood temps, would it be advantageous to get them coated? and if so, what is the typical cost? cost to be ordered this way from AR?

Gary Wells
08-05-09, 12:56 PM
I can't answer your queries as definitively as I would like to, but as for cost, I would google Swaintech's site, as for benefits of ceramic coating, Swaintech's site, as for whether they are availability of headers with processing, Jesse and / or ARH.

Luna.
08-05-09, 01:37 PM
Luna:
Are your headers coated, wrapped, or just plain? Swaintech is the best in the biz for ceramic coating processes. Just my $.02 worth, of course, and I would probably never install headers without some type of coating, and I would never have a car with header wrap, race or otherwise.

I ordered them directly from Hennessey and the invoice says nothing about them being coated, so I would presume they are plain.

Further, since American Racing Headers doesn't really recommend it, I guess I put my faith into their R&D. These guys don't strike me as the type that would just throw a product out there, so I just ordered a set and called it a day.

wait4me
08-05-09, 01:46 PM
The only issues i wanted to address by wrapping was to get rid of some radiant heat. Especially at wide open throttle. There are alot of things including wiring pretty close to them.

Anthony@ARH
08-05-09, 04:46 PM
Our headers do not require a coating however if this is something you would like please call us and we could set that up for you per your requests.

Thanks
Anthony

Me Wanna A V
08-05-09, 05:26 PM
The only issues i wanted to address by wrapping was to get rid of some radiant heat. Especially at wide open throttle. There are alot of things including wiring pretty close to them.

Most of the V1 guys were cooking their brake hoses with UNCOATED long tubes. I would absolutely get them coated, even with American Racing Headers saying it isn't neccessary.

Viper guys are also having issues with UNCOATED long tubes and boiling thier clutch fluid.

All said and done, COATED headers may not gain you any power, but it's worth it!!!!!!

As for the guys at American Racing Headers, please stop the argument that coatings aren't neccessary!!!!!! You no doubt make an excellent product, however give the consumer the choice and in turn make some more profit, which is the goal of any company. Think about that!!!:thumbsup:

Gary Wells
08-05-09, 05:55 PM
I ordered them directly from Hennessey and the invoice says nothing about them being coated, so I would presume they are plain.

Further, since American Racing Headers doesn't really recommend it, I guess I put my faith into their R&D. These guys don't strike me as the type that would just throw a product out there, so I just ordered a set and called it a day.

Luna, I posted that in haste and when I got to work, it was too late to edit it. Oops, my bad. I meant no offense to you, Jesse, or American Racing Headers.
If your headers were ceramic coated, you would know it by the finish, texture, appearance, & color.
And as far as ARH not recommending the process, knowing why they don't recommend it would be a big plus in winning over other customers such as myself. I would be certain that there is more to the story. FWIW, stainless turns golden-rod to light brown color from the heat-up - cool-down process, but generally can be polished back to shiny stainless if one so desires. silver colored ceramic coating generally turns a dull silver but also can be polished or steel-wooled back to a nice acceptable appearance. HTH

Luna.
08-05-09, 06:59 PM
Luna, I posted that in haste and when I got to work, it was too late to edit it. Oops, my bad. I meant no offense to you, Jesse, or American Racing Headers.
If your headers were ceramic coated, you would know it by the finish, texture, appearance, & color.
And as far as ARH not recommending the process, knowing why they don't recommend it would be a big plus in winning over other customers such as myself. I would be certain that there is more to the story. FWIW, stainless turns golden-rod to light brown color from the heat-up - cool-down process, but generally can be polished back to shiny stainless if one so desires. silver colored ceramic coating generally turns a dull silver but also can be polished or steel-wooled back to a nice acceptable appearance. HTH

No worries at all Gary, no offense taken. I'm just trying to answer all questions. :thumbsup:

I've wrapped headers before and I'll do it again if I need to. No skin off my back! I will say, it was pretty cool how the temps under the hood went down, but, like I said above, I wasn't really worried about it, especially since Am. Racing doesn't think it is needed. If it is, let's do it! :bouncy:

Anthony@ARH
08-06-09, 02:01 PM
As for the guys at American Racing Headers, please stop the argument that coatings aren't neccessary!!!!!! You no doubt make an excellent product, however give the consumer the choice and in turn make some more profit, which is the goal of any company. Think about that!!!:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for a kind words!
We aren't arguing by any means. If you look above I said call and we will make an order to your requests like we always have and have no problem letting another company offer a service to turn a profit. We just do not see a benifit of coating every header that leaves our shop, which is why we take the time to talk to everyone on an individual basis. Hope that clears things up for you guys

Anthony

Razorecko
08-06-09, 08:15 PM
Hey Jesse give us an update of the fitament when you get them bolted on.

TAGZO
08-08-09, 09:02 AM
I delt a lot with ARH, and i have o say, Qulity product, Qulity people, amazing performance.

SlvrBullIT
08-20-09, 05:19 AM
Still no update? ...BUMP

Titaniumseeker
09-01-09, 09:13 AM
Bump....Update?????

brent eb02
09-01-09, 09:59 PM
why do you think his name is wait 4 me ?

thebigjimsho
09-01-09, 10:16 PM
hmm...

aco
09-03-09, 01:10 PM
Jesse, any updates?

wait4me
09-03-09, 02:25 PM
Havent recieved them back from the coating company, ill let you guys know as soon as it comes back in so i can put them on.

aco
09-16-09, 02:21 PM
bump for an update

Razorecko
06-06-10, 05:54 PM
whoa thread from the dead - Jesse what ever happened with the AR headers and whats your impression of the system ?

PremierJosh
07-23-11, 10:37 PM
Here I am trying to convince myself that I need headers. What was the verdict?

JOEYCTS-V
07-24-11, 11:23 AM
I heard the verdict will be out in 2 weeks.

wait4me
07-25-11, 09:40 AM
They work just fine, but i had to move the o2 sensor bungs and change the thickness of the bung flange. All easy stuff to do. Then no codes... That was a long time ago..

trukk
12-12-11, 01:06 PM
Guys,

Will the AR headers built for the sedan work on the the wagon? Also beyod the initial issues with bung placement, any reason not to go with the AR Headers?

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-12-11, 11:30 PM
There is Chirs, always concerned about bung placement...

trukk
12-13-11, 10:21 AM
And there's Jim, still providing no value add to my question ;)

I'm just not in the know about modding the wagon. Is the exhaust the same as the sedan?

Also from my quick reading, my understanding is that the center section of the exhaust needs to be swapped bue to the flattened section. Since the AR Headers come with the mid section, I figure this is a nice efficient way to get a good set of headers and take care of that part of the exhaust as well. At this point I don't to swap out the OEM mufflers (but we'll see). I like the kooks on my current car, and love that they try to do eaqual length primaries, and have a nice collector design, however I hear AR's are similiar. Also I'm not going to do corsa this time around, I'm sick of the 'Rattle Can' from the wave canceling mufflers.

Lastly I get that headers aren't the bang for the buck they are on a forced induction car that they are on NA, *however* I can't go back to a quiet car. My wagon must be firmly in WTF was that territory. I do like that they let the engine breathe better, and allow for similar power levels with less boost that will hopefully achieve engine longevity. My current V has 140k miles (albeit in slightly dented form), so I want to mod with the intention of longevity.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-13-11, 12:57 PM
Sorry, Mr. Toobusyforus, but this ain't yo thread. Headers are great on this car and I imagine long tubes only need modification around the rear section of the Vagon.

trukk
12-14-11, 07:43 AM
Been beyond busy the last 2 years with work, glad you missed me ;)

I didn't want to start a new thread about AR headers, which is why I added to this one.

Anyway, now I just need to find a car to buy :D

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-16-11, 01:54 PM
Been beyond busy the last 2 years with work, glad you missed me ;)

I didn't want to start a new thread about AR headers, which is why I added to this one.

Anyway, now I just need to find a car to buy :D

-ChrisI'll keep an eye out...

----------

And I do miss you, Chirs. My forum life has never been the same since you left...

trukk
12-20-11, 08:16 PM
I'll keep an eye out...

Found one. Brought it home tonight. :WOOT:

And I do miss you, Chirs. My forum life has never been the same since you left...

Chirs approved this message.

-Chris....err Chirs

thebigjimsho
12-23-11, 11:07 PM
Found one. Brought it home tonight. :WOOT:

Chirs approved this message.

-Chris....err ChirsWhere teh pics??