: Late for work...Pass Key Fault!

9ine3reefleet
08-03-09, 12:11 PM
Today I ran to the car to start it and the ignition did nothing as if the battery was dead, but all lights worked. The pass key light would flash as I would take the key out as ithad done before but I have always been able to start my car. In panic mode now I try and try again, but to no avail. I look in the owners manual and it says contact dealer. So I do... he tells me to come in and they will make me another key along with a oem key that goes along with the oem cylinder or starter for the car. Going on to say that if neither works then someone (previous ownwer) could have had the starter switched and if thats the case Cadillac would have to put another on their (sounds expensive). After talking to him I came on here (the real cadillac people) and found that turning the key slowly may work and it did and that it may be some sort of wire. Cant look too much into it now, just hope it works when I get off. Im tarrying my late azz off to work now so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

thefleetwoodguy
08-03-09, 12:33 PM
remember that you need to wait a couple min between attempts
to start, if the pass key system deployed
dont waste $$$ with the dealer, this is an easy fix!!!!

9ine3reefleet
08-03-09, 09:59 PM
dont waste $$$ with the dealer, this is an easy fix!!!!

Whats the fix? Is this a common/minor problem? It did start up and did not do it again th rest of the day until I came home and as I was pulling the key out...the dash lights flickered until I opened the door. I tried to crank it right up after that and it did. I just dont want this thing to be a problem and I get stuck somewhere or something. Know what I mean man?

sven914
08-04-09, 01:32 AM
If tuning the key slowly worked, then that usually means you have one or more wires in the steering column that have broken, and are not making full contact. In my experience, the ignition cylinder and the wiring to it needs to be replaced.

ocmdiaz714
08-04-09, 01:36 AM
1. Unlock all doors
2. Manually lock both driver's side door and passenger door with your key
3. Open your trunk with your key
4. Open driver's side door with your key
5. Start engine and close trunk manually

DerMann
08-05-09, 07:39 PM
Happened to me too.

I was at O'Reilly's buying fuses. Threw a fuse in for the interior lights, and all of a sudden I got the pass key fault. I sat there trying to turn it over for a good minute, then went inside all panicked and asked the guy behind the counter to help.

He just came outside and it worked. Said that if it ever does give the pass key fault, you have to wait a few minutes before you try again.

Oddly enough, my pass key fault light comes on for a second or two even after I've started the car. Probably normal.

9ine3reefleet
08-05-09, 09:40 PM
ocmdiaz, i tried your trick and it didnt work but it hasnt done the "completely dead" thing again. Thanks anyway though. Where did you even get that from?

Dermann, I was all panicked too. I was like "my baby...i just fu***ing got her", probably would have felt worse if I was out in publiic. But it hasnt caused or costed me any money so far. Thanks man.

ocmdiaz714
08-05-09, 09:59 PM
ocmdiaz, i tried your trick and it didnt work but it hasnt done the "completely dead" thing again. Thanks anyway though. Where did you even get that from?

Dermann, I was all panicked too. I was like "my baby...i just fu***ing got her", probably would have felt worse if I was out in publiic. But it hasnt caused or costed me any money so far. Thanks man.

I got it because the same thing happened to me once as I was going to take my mother shopping and she was waiting on me, to start the car lol. I got it from some message forum I found on my iPhone through google. It worked for me a couple of times but it doesn't anymore. I'm guessing I need a new key or cylinder. It sucks when it happens in public and the interior is all hot. :(

jayoldschool
08-05-09, 10:15 PM
1. Unlock all doors
2. Manually lock both driver's side
door and passenger door with your key
3. Open your trunk with your key
4. Open driver's side door with your key
5. Start engine and close trunk manually

You forgot:
6. Jump up and down on your right foot
7. Rub your stomach in a counter-clockwise circle
8. Pat your head every time you jump up

:rolleyes:

sven914
08-05-09, 11:03 PM
^ That only works every other Wednesday.

RocketFast321
08-06-09, 02:16 AM
Here is a video on how to disable the older passlock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfn7J9CeZM

ewill3rd
08-06-09, 07:46 AM
If it is PK2, or the one with the visible pellet in the key, then you need to replace the lock cylinder.
You'll need 2 new keys cut to match the new cylinder's mechanical tumblers and the cars existing VATS code.
(I always sell 2)
The wires are breaking inside the column.
Pretty common. You can do the bypass if you don't care whether or not it is easier for a thief to steal your car.

thefleetwoodguy
08-06-09, 01:56 PM
If it is PK2, or the one with the visible pellet in the key, then you need to replace the lock cylinder.
You'll need 2 new keys cut to match the new cylinder's mechanical tumblers and the cars existing VATS code.
(I always sell 2)
The wires are breaking inside the column.
Pretty common. You can do the bypass if you don't care whether or not it is easier for a thief to steal your car.
I/M/O
the cost of a new dealer installed ign lock, isnt cheap
I would suggest bringing the key to a radio shack
let them read the resistor value, buy a resistor of that value
wire it in, it will take you 15 min, and cost very little
Im not sure you should worry about your car getting stolen
if they want it that bad, they will flat bed it

ewill3rd
08-06-09, 03:02 PM
I usually advise people on how to "fix" things.
Sure you can bypass and rig all kinds of stuff.

If you care to read the last sentence of my post that was so eloquently quoted you'll see I reminded you that it is your car and the choice is up to you.

If you really wanted you could bypass the whole ignition switch and just put a big red button in the middle of the dash... I could tell you how to do that too.... :lol:

RocketFast321
08-06-09, 03:19 PM
Keeping it real if they want your car they gonna take it. Keep in mind only you know its disable.

sven914
08-06-09, 10:27 PM
I/M/O
the cost of a new dealer installed ign lock, isnt cheap
I would suggest bringing the key to a radio shack
let them read the resistor value, buy a resistor of that value
wire it in, it will take you 15 min, and cost very little
Im not sure you should worry about your car getting stolen
if they want it that bad, they will flat bed it

Thats how my friend did his 90 De Ville.

As for worrying about disabling the security system; security systems cannot prevent car theft, they can only make it take longer to steal the car. If I recall from security systems class, the VATS computer looks for one of fifteen different resistance values. Car thieves carry one of each resistor and can steal the car. The VATS just slows them down (not Gone in 60 Seconds, but Gone in 450 Seconds).

jey
08-07-09, 02:15 PM
Only if they get the right resistor by the 3rd try. If you use the WRONG resistor to start the car the Pass Lock system prevents the car from starting altogether for 3 minutes, so you have to wait 3 minutes between each try.

ewill3rd
08-07-09, 06:26 PM
VATS times out after an invalid key for approximately 4 minutes per attempt.

Could be up to 60 minutes.
I agree, if they want it they will get it.
Up to the owner of the car, rig it, fix it... whatever.

425 Dual Quad
08-08-09, 08:03 PM
Hi all!
Had the same thing happen to me this evening. Got in the 94 Fleetwood, went to start it. Driver's window wouldn't got down. Started. Then cut out (not sure if it really started or gave a littel cough and died) then wouldn't crank. Pass Key Fault orange light came on and stayed on. So I tried again, nothing, and again, nothing. So I tried the other keys and same thing - light stays on and no cranking. Lights, etc work fine.
Lots of buzzing and whirring under the car but I think that's just the level ride compressor/ traction control/ ABS issue on the left rear I ahven't got sorted yet after my wife ran through a puddle and set 30 foot of water up the side of the car. Imagine the amount of water that hit the underside (the same amount goes either side of the wheel when you drive through a puddle).
Would the 1-6 fix work for a 94 Fleetwood? If so, how exactly does this work please?

thanks, Nick