: 1987 Brougham Theft Deterrent System (Car Alarm Security) Question/Issue

JamesC
08-02-09, 11:13 PM
Sorry for a repost of this, but I think this might be more of an appropriate location for my issue... sorry I am not trying to spam.

Hi! I am a new (proud) owner of a beautiful 1987 Cadillac Brougham and got a good deal on purchasing it too, I think at least. Anyway, not going to blab too much and just get to my questions/issue...

I know the Theft Deterrent System/Car Alarm was an option and I looked on my instrument panel and I can see that among the warning lights the "Security System" light is in fact there, but I am not sure if if my car has one installed. I assume that the Cadillacs built without the systems were built to possibly have them later installed?

Firstly, is there a way to check if my Brougham has the system installed or not? As I said the "Security System" light on the dash is present and I have tested arming the car as the manual says so and the light does not come on or flash. Check the fuses maybe?

Secondly, if my car does not have the system was it built to maybe have it installed at a later time... is it even possible to have that older Cadillac system installed nowadays?

Thirdly, I know this is long, but would it just be easier to have a more modern car alarm system installed on the car?

Let me know your thoughts and comments, thanks and much appreciated!