: '04 DHS Nav System Not Reading Discs

bluescat
08-02-09, 09:36 PM
...neither the Nav disc nor a DVD seems to be read with the DVD player. Sometimes, if I put the disc in and eject it a few times it will read, but eventually stop.

Any hope of getting it working again?

N*Caddy
08-02-09, 11:42 PM
Try one of those lens cleaner disks (http://cgi.ebay.com/InterAct-CD-DVD-Laser-Lens-Cleaner-Fix-Disk-Errors_W0QQitemZ200042376285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2e93746c5d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) first (is a <$10 investment).

chazglenn3
08-03-09, 01:15 PM
I had trouble with the DVD-Nav system reading my nav discs. I took them to Hollywood Video to have the scratches polished out, and then they read fine. Try using a brand new DVD or known scratch-free disc to make sure the laser is reading okay.

bluescat
08-03-09, 02:54 PM
I don't think it's the laser, since every twenty or thirty starts it will read properly...until the next start, and it also will not read other DVDs, or a cleaning disc. I had a harness for an aux inoput for my ipod made several months ago by a member here, which has worked flawlessly, but I wonder if I pinched a wire or forced sometning when I reinstalled the head unit. Maybe I'll pull the radio and disconnect the harness and see if it makes any difference, althought I doubt if that is the problem.

CadillacSTS42005
08-12-09, 08:29 AM
its the laser

bluescat
08-12-09, 06:43 PM
"its the laser" as in "it's fixable"...or "its the laser" as in "time to buy a Garman?"

I have used a cleaner, and on the isolated occasions the unit has been able to read the cleaner I've let it run, for a total cleaning of over an hour's time, and there is no difference. Sometimes it reads the Nav disc fine, and other times it doesn't.

CadillacSTS42005
08-12-09, 08:32 PM
as in run a cleaner in it
its just dirty
your supposed to clean the lens for every 10 hrs of use
since the lens in that car is alway is always reading thats about every week

N*Caddy
08-12-09, 10:35 PM
On some (older) CD players you had the possibility to increase the current to the laser (in time the laser diode was loosing efficiency). But that was just a temporary repair (you got one more year out of it). I havenít check if these ones have such an option (it was only something some how common in the older devices). Usually a good clean up of the lens and area around is fixing the problem.

fredsSTS
10-04-09, 11:56 AM
Hi, I am new and not familiar with responding or in my case, questioning. Basically, I have the same problem with my 2002 STS navigation system. I jumped started the car and the system kept saying no DVD. I finally went into diagnostics (press volume for several seconds) and hit reset system software. NOw I am out the radio as well and it says, not system disk, reload system disk? I only have a navigation DVD. Is this a system disk? Does anybody have a system disk? Any other solutions would be appreciated because cadillac service says I need a new navigation radio (but it was working (at least the radio) until I hit system reset.

chazglenn3
10-04-09, 06:18 PM
PM sent.

gflippin@mail.utexas
10-05-09, 04:55 PM
Hi, I have also been trying to get my 2002 Seville STS Navigation system working again. My problem sounds a lot like that of fredsSTS. The navigation system just eventually started to give out over time, reading the disc less and less as time went on. I have taken the disc to Hollywood Video and had them use their disc repair system and also have used a DVD lens cleaner. It plays regular DVD's just fine when in park so I know that the player works. I have attributed this problem to the DVD itself and have tried everything to duplicate the DVD on my mac with no luck. Would it help to reset the Navigation system and if so how do I go about doing that. If it is the disc, is there a way to copy it? Because I am not having much luck on finding the disc under $200 either. Somebody please let me know if there is a code or any procedures that may help. I just moved and am completely lost without my Nav System. Also, i'm new to the site so I am not sure how PM's work, if anybody has any advice please help! Reach me at gflippin@mail.utexas.edu . Thanks!

CadillacSTS42005
10-05-09, 05:24 PM
you need the software disc
a few memebers here have it
im pretty sure Chaz does

fredsSTS
10-07-09, 09:54 PM
HI
This message is for anybody with a software "system" disk. I can't seem to private message to Chazglenn3. Probably haven't received any messages as well since I have joined as a supporting member. Please respond to me. Furthermore, I can't even post a message or get customer service to see what my problem is. HELP!! I did get a message from Charles and wish I could talk with him. Private messaging does not work for me!!!! Charles (chazglenn3) please call at 781-771-6988.