: 1987 Brougham Theft Deterrent System

JamesC
08-02-09, 08:15 PM
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section...

Hi! I am a new (proud) owner of a beautiful 1987 Cadillac Brougham and got a good deal on purchasing it too, I think at least. Anyway, not going to blab too much and just get to my questions/issue...

I know the Theft Deterrent System/Car Alarm was an option and I looked on my instrument panel and I can see that among the warning lights the "Security System" light is in fact there, but I am not sure if if my car has one installed. I assume that the Cadillacs built without the systems were built to possibly have them later installed?

Firstly, is there a way to check if my Brougham has the system installed or not? As I said the "Security System" light on the dash is present and I have tested arming the car as the manual says so and the light does not come on or flash. Check the fuses maybe?

Secondly, if my car does not have the system was it built to maybe have it installed at a later time... is it even possible to have that older Cadillac system installed nowadays?

Thirdly, I know this is long, but would it just be easier to have a more modern car alarm system installed on the car?

Let me know your thoughts and comments, thanks and much appreciated!

sven914
08-03-09, 01:04 AM
If you look under you the driver's side of your dash (you might have remove the bottom dash cover), at the right hand side of the upper bake peddle support, you should see an electronic control box (looks like a small PCM), if you have factory anti-theft.

Also, if your rear door glass has "Factory Installed Anti-theft Warning System," stamped on it, then you have a factory alarm. If it doesn't, then the glass might have been repalced.

csbuckn
08-03-09, 01:33 AM
If you get an aftermarket alarm, you should be able to hook it up to the factory light.

JamesC
08-03-09, 01:57 AM
If you get an aftermarket alarm, you should be able to hook it up to the factory light.

Oh yeah? Well if it does turn out not to have the factory system and I get an aftermarket alarm professionally installed could I tell them to see if they can hook it up to the light... they may not know how and I wouldn't want them to go poking around under/behind the dash and potentially mess up something to try and hook it up to the light. As I said I just bought it, heh.

DopeStar 156
08-03-09, 01:59 AM
Drop the windows and lock the doors with the power lock switch. Then close them all and wait like 5 seconds. Reach in, pull the lock up and open the door. If you don't see the lights flashing and hear the horn going off, you have no alarm. The SECURITY SYSTEM light on the dash is there but there's prolly no bulb going to it. If you pull the dash top off and pull the telltale lights out the old fuel economy lights are still there too with no bulbs going to them from the 77-80 years, eminants of old technology. Odds are you don't have the Securuty System.

JamesC
08-03-09, 02:01 AM
If you look under you the driver's side of your dash (you might have remove the bottom dash cover), at the right hand side of the upper bake peddle support, you should see an electronic control box (looks like a small PCM), if you have factory anti-theft.

Also, if your rear door glass has "Factory Installed Anti-theft Warning System," stamped on it, then you have a factory alarm. If it doesn't, then the glass might have been repalced.

Ah thanks! I will take a look under the dash and see if I can see anything. As for the rear windows, I believe they may have been replaced, at least I know the rear driver's side door looks like it's been replaced (as the color on the outside is slightly off)... the windows have been tinted sometime in it's life too.

JamesC
08-03-09, 02:09 AM
Drop the windows and lock the doors with the power lock switch. Then close them all and wait like 5 seconds. Reach in, pull the lock up and open the door. If you don't see the lights flashing and hear the horn going off, you have no alarm. The SECURITY SYSTEM light on the dash is there but there's prolly no bulb going to it. If you pull the dash top off and pull the telltale lights out the old fuel economy lights are still there too with no bulbs going to them from the 77-80 years, eminants of old technology. Odds are you don't have the Securuty System.

Ah okay, I gotcha about the bulb. I'll try testing it too... I should of thought of testing it that way. I figure it probably doesn't have it, as I believe not many chose the factory alarm system back then, but my car still has the "Security System" up in the warning light strip... that's what leads me to think possibly the Broughams were built with that in the strip even if the system was installed or not. Again thanks!