: 05-07 sts TO 08 sts conversion

mikey1026
08-02-09, 11:42 AM
notice on the 05-07 models the antenna on the top roof is NAKED whereas the 09+ models have a cool looking shark fin attachment covering the antenna!!

i want to do this to my 07 diamond white sts has anyone ever tried or accomplished this? i asked a couple dealers they all said no, but i wonder how hard they really tried to answer my question:bighead:

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/cadillac_sts_v_base_2009_exterior_sideview.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2009/cadillac/sts/5785-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

any help? i know its gotta be easier than people think

-mike

next2pool
08-02-09, 07:18 PM
notice on the 05-07 models the antenna on the top roof is NAKED whereas the 09+ models have a cool looking shark fin attachment covering the antenna!!

i want to do this to my 07 diamond white sts has anyone ever tried or accomplished this? i asked a couple dealers they all said no, but i wonder how hard they really tried to answer my question:bighead:

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/cadillac_sts_v_base_2009_exterior_sideview.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2009/cadillac/sts/5785-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

any help? i know its gotta be easier than people think

-mike

I agree--i painted mine body color but still like the new one better. Unless I'm missing something, I think they are interchangeable

snum1fan
08-02-09, 11:56 PM
I think I read somewhere in apost on this forum that the shark fin is for nav STS's and the regular one is for non-nav STS's. I may be wrong.

next2pool
08-03-09, 12:48 PM
I think I read somewhere in apost on this forum that the shark fin is for nav STS's and the regular one is for non-nav STS's. I may be wrong.

I think the latest shark fin design is just a newer version of the old. I believe it is a combination XM and Onstar antenna.

Number 3
08-03-09, 04:36 PM
I have the an 05 sts with nav yet no shark fin so you are incorrent snumfan

mikey1026
08-05-09, 07:18 AM
when I asked my dealer if I couldddd add on the shark fin they said it wouldn't fit.....then they said it would ruin my nav system and xm.....but seriously??? c'mon? I just wanna know if anyone has a sharkfin covering their antenna and would like to know if it was such a daunting process or not...i wanted to get the OEM shark fin but I found some nice aftermarket too!

EChas3
08-05-09, 11:24 AM
It cannot affect Nav. XM or Onstar might be affected but I doubt it. If the mounting hardware is compatible, give it a go.

Unique Distributing
08-06-09, 06:06 AM
give it a go.

Ohh no i can see where this is gonna end up! lol
its like saying "whats the worst that can happen" lol

Good Luck!:stirpot:

K STS
08-06-09, 07:02 AM
Ironically, during a car wash yesterday, i broke the antenna from the base unit. I see it just screws in. Can I get a replacement, or replace the unit compeltely? Is there wires ran through the roof?

next2pool
08-06-09, 12:07 PM
You can get a replacement antenna stub off Ebay--but you need to check if yours is round or somewhat square. If I recall, one is replaceable but the other isn't but could be wrong. If you replace the base unit, you have to unscrew it from the inside and disconeect the antenna wire. Some drop the headliner, but I think you can drop the upper light "console" and reach it.

K STS
08-06-09, 02:06 PM
Does the antenna sticking up even do anything? Without it on the way here, i noticed no change in XM radio.

next2pool
08-06-09, 04:05 PM
On our cars that antenna is there for XM and Onstar. If you look at other cars without Onstar, they seem to be just the flat turd sitting there so I'm assuming the vertical part is more important for Onstar. BTW, you do see non GM cars with the shark fin because some of them use Onstar services under thier own brand (service provided by Onstar)

K STS
08-07-09, 12:30 AM
Im looking at my antenna portion of the assembly, and it appears to be both square and round, like a rounded square. Also, I cant tell if the antenna part is broke, or the base. They both look the same. But this part does not screw in correctly.