: 2000 Escalade Auto Trac Dash Switch

silversport
08-02-09, 09:44 AM
I'm getting the Service 4WD light on my 2000 Escalade (think 1999 Tahoe/Yukon )...
I cannot make the truck go into 4 Low (light just blinks) and I cannot hear the front differential engage when I push 4 Hi (but it will change and light up)...
From what I can find here doing the search, it is quite possible that this is just the switch having the problem and not the differential...I have had intermittent lighting of the switch (2 Hi*Auto*4 Hi*4 Low) when the headlights are on so this seems to have just progressed...

The Problem: What is this part actually called and what is the part number???...mine has Lucas 551079 Z-0191 15027104 written on it but I have been unsuccessful in finding this part listed online...I plan to do the change myself so the dealership is probably out based on the last parts I needed, their pricing and so on...

I have found a part called the transfer case shift switch but that has no pic and other pics I found look like a mechanical switch and not this dash switch...another site showed a part listed as TCA22 for $120.79 but this also had no pic and seems to be the price of the part for the differential and not for the dashboard...

A check on the 'Bay showed one of these with no description on whether or not the part even works...

Any help would be appreciated...I am hoping to do what appears to be an easy swap out and hopefully fix quick...

Thanks,

Bill

sk7
08-02-09, 11:23 PM
Testing the switch should be fairly simple to make sure it is the source of the problem. Aren't those models notorious for solenoid failure at the front diff? If you are at ease using a test light, I can try and find the wiring diagram for that switch tomorrow (currently at work, no access to my manual).

pilot-werx
08-03-09, 02:58 PM
I am willing to bet it is the front engagement solenoid... Very common....

silversport
08-04-09, 08:30 AM
whichever it is (or both) it worked for a bit yesterday...I could hear/feel it engage the front differential but then it stopped working again...waiting on a price for the switch from one dealership and making an appointment to have it scanned at the place I get work done...

Thanks,

Bill

silversport
08-04-09, 01:00 PM
new part number for the Transfer Case Control Switch if anyone interested...
My part will be enroute to me in the morning...
Thanks,
Bill

sk7
08-05-09, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the update and info, hope it takes care of the problem...

silversport
08-11-09, 09:22 PM
Part arrived from UPS minutes ago...disconnected old switch...plugged in new switch...check for function: 2 Hi, Auto, 4 Hi, 4 Low...turn on headlights, switch backlights perfectly...and it is just that easy.

I had no idea GM still made this switch (19168765) and looked on ebay...for not much more than an unwarranted old part (probably has the same problem as mine as I read this is a common ill) off of ebay I have a new Genuine GM part installed and my 2000 Cadillac Escalade (Tahoe putting on airs ;) ) is back running like it should.

Thanks again,

Bill