: Anybody else here with a'73 Deville?

CoupedeVille'73
08-02-09, 09:01 AM
Hi...

I joined this forum a while ago and have been reading quite a lot of posts here.

Yet I didn't find anyone else with a 1973 (Coupe)DeVille but me.
1973 was a year of large production numbers. Where are they all gone to?

CTSV OWNER
08-02-09, 11:35 PM
I wish I had a 1972 Deville is that close???
My dad bought a new 1972 back in the day. I loved that car. It was his first of many Cadillacs. If you get a chance show us some pics of that '73

Dave

CoupedeVille'73
08-03-09, 08:22 AM
That's pretty close. Thanks for your answer.
What I'd like to know is, if there are some experiences especially with 1973 model.
I just wonder why it was one of the highest production years and there are only quite a few left as it seems.

What are the reasons?

By the way, I put a pic in my introductory post. Here it is:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34400&d=1187364749

CTSV OWNER
08-03-09, 10:55 AM
Oh man that is one sweet ride. Same color combo as my dads. Now you've gone and made jealous. As for the numbers of surviving big Caddys from that era, I would guess the gas crisis and their large size scared off the ones that did not truely love these fine automobiles.

Dave

FLNCHM5
08-03-09, 01:43 PM
You've found another one!

Welcome the the world of hugeness... :welcome:

Beautiful color combo by the way...

CoupedeVille'73
08-03-09, 02:37 PM
Oh man that is one sweet ride...As for the numbers of surviving big Caddys from that era, I would guess the gas crisis and their large size scared off the ones that did not truely love these fine automobiles.:) Thanks for your appreciation. That of course might be true. Even though I must say that the mileage isn't THAT bad. She gives me about 14-15 mpg when I'm cruising along. Even modern cars with about the same weight need about that, even though they're stuffed with every new electronic gimmick and have far less diplacement than our oldies. Maybe the 1407 Edelbrock and the performer bridge help a bit with that.

As far as I'm concerned, I must say my esteem is way to big to take her to the junk.

You've found another one!

Welcome the the world of hugeness... :welcome:

Beautiful color combo by the way...

Thank you, bro. Nice to meet you.
I must admit that your ride seems to be in a PERFECT condition and completely stock. Would you like to tell me more about the experiences you encountered with your car?

Mine has already gone through numerous hands and was shipped to Germany somewhen in the early 90s.
She needs a helping hand here and there and a good amount of TLC, which she gets from me as long as I can do so.
The color combo is NOT original, I must admit. It's sort of 'eggplant', they told me it's supposed to be a BMW color (I bought her the way she is). The original paint was dark brown, which I'd like better. Still it's not looking bad though.

BTW
Is there any way to check the history of this car in some sort of database (online maybe?)?
I'd like to figure out when and how this car came over here and which way it took throughout the country.
This '73 CoupeDeVille seems to be 'quite experienced' so to say...

Please, keep on loving the good old machines that we have...

DanDeville99
08-03-09, 02:45 PM
Nice CAR! I have a 1973 Sedan Deville that I havent drove long enough so that its to the point of being a parts car now. I also have some spare parts from another Deville like it and a Fleetwood the same year.

Try to collect some spare parts while you can find them. Things like a/c programmers and door armrests are famous for going bad. Make sure your carb and choke system is working right and that the cooling system is in good shape. The engine itself is bullet proof these years.

Not to scare you, but keep a close eye on the enigne and starter wiring on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I have seen a lot of fires in this area on 72 and 73 models. Since this is a non-computerized car you could have a battery dissconnect switch installed under the hood so you can easily keep it unhooked when your not using the car.

CoupedeVille'73
08-03-09, 03:28 PM
Thank you for your hints. I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on the wiring under the hood. The starter itself has already been replaced.

As far as the carb is concerned, the original Q-Jet was replaced with a 1407 Edelbrock using a performer bridge. Pic is in the attachment. (No A/C as the compressor doesn't fit anymore due to the performer bridge)

I must say that the manual choke isn't too bad a thing. I can push the choke in after 10 seconds of idling already and the motor runs smooth and fine. :2thumbs:
Also helps a bit to improve the mileage, I guess.

472 rulez

David5865
09-06-09, 06:32 PM
I have a '73 Coupe in Viridian Firemist. All original and only 19,000 miles. Love it. I had a '76 Wood a few years back and just got rid of my '76 Mark IV. I have to say, I much prefer the Caddy's of the 70's over the Lincolns. The 472 is strong and runs great. If tuned right and you have a light foot, you can get 16 to 17 on the highway. Anyone know where I can view an original printed window sticker for a '73 Caddy? I found and bought a blank reproduction that I'd like to print up for my car, but want to model it after one that I can view. Please post a link if you know where I can find someone elses picture. Thanks...

Stingroo
09-06-09, 07:39 PM
David you can actually order a copy of your Cadillac's original build sheet for $50 from GM.

I put the link in another topic, I'll find it and add it to this post.

EDIT: http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Veh icle_Information_Availability

It says they may not have some 1973 models available. :( Hope they have your car, it'd help out I'm sure.

David5865
09-06-09, 08:29 PM
Stingroo, thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot.

Stingroo
09-06-09, 08:32 PM
Good luck. :)

tgrothouse
09-15-09, 12:38 AM
My '73 CDV is Black with Red Leather. IMO the best looking full sized Coupe produced.

LacVille73
02-08-13, 07:55 PM
Hello all I too have a 1973 sedan deville. I just got it a few months ago after eye balling it for a long time. I am very happy with it however I have a problem & am hoping for some suggestions. The hood has several rust holes on it te biggest being about golf ball size. I was originally looking for a good replacement hood but cannot find one locally & don't wanna pay the shipping rates to have one sent from another state. What can I do to fix the holes other than bondo?? Can a custom auto shop maybe weld the hood??

MoistCabbage
02-08-13, 08:31 PM
Bondo is not a "fix" for rust, it's one step up from duct tape. A good body shop can cut out the rusted areas, and weld in new sheet metal.

Tennesseestorm
02-09-13, 01:46 AM
My first car was a '72 Sedan DeVille back in 1992. I would love to have either a 72 Sedan DeVille again, or a 1973 Sedan DeVille. I am more fond of the 4-doors for some reason.

I do think though that the '73 Coupe DeVille had the highest production number during that era. I think nearly 130,000 were produced, I think there were even more Coupe DeVilles made that year than they were Sedan DeVilles. Not sure about how the 2dr versus the 4dr models for '72. If I recall there were somewhere around 99,000 '72 Sedan DeVilles made.

talismandave
02-09-13, 09:10 AM
Hello all I too have a 1973 sedan deville. I just got it a few months ago after eye balling it for a long time. I am very happy with it however I have a problem & am hoping for some suggestions. The hood has several rust holes on it te biggest being about golf ball size. I was originally looking for a good replacement hood but cannot find one locally & don't wanna pay the shipping rates to have one sent from another state. What can I do to fix the holes other than bondo?? Can a custom auto shop maybe weld the hood??

Welcome to the forum. If you get a chance put up some pictures of your car. Thanks for finding the old thread, it is great to see some great looking old coupes.
:welcome:

My first car was a '72 Sedan DeVille back in 1992. I would love to have either a 72 Sedan DeVille again, or a 1973 Sedan DeVille. I am more fond of the 4-doors for some reason.

I do think though that the '73 Coupe DeVille had the highest production number during that era. I think nearly 130,000 were produced, I think there were even more Coupe DeVilles made that year than they were Sedan DeVilles. Not sure about how the 2dr versus the 4dr models for '72. If I recall there were somewhere around 99,000 '72 Sedan DeVilles made.

The more I browse the internet, the more I find myself drooling over the 71-73 Coupe Devilles. Had a 76 and loved it, but really digging the hardtop with opening rear windows.:drool:

gordyk
02-09-13, 10:47 AM
i have a 73 sedan deville that i purchased from the original owner about a year ago. It only has 23,000 miles but it had sat since the early 80s. So there was lots of fixing to do. Finally got everything working and running right and am now enjoying driving it. White with black roof and black cloth interior.

talismandave
02-09-13, 03:11 PM
Come on guys....you know the rules.....

:postpics:

Mark 78 Coupe
02-09-13, 04:57 PM
I think the original question as to what happened to these cars when so many were made is an easy one, at least up north-rust. I remember when these cars were new, and I also remember seeing them only 3 or 4 years old, and completely rotted out. First they went by the fender skirts. Then, rust bubbles formed by the chrome body side moldings. If left untreated, those became holes. Then of course they started to rust by the roof. It was so sad, because I would see these late model cars with low mileage completely shot. I would imagine only the western cars are the ones that have survived.

The Ape Man
02-10-13, 12:29 PM
IIRC '73 was a bad GM paint year. They mixed wierd stuff right into the paint. Also these cars took special care in proper tuning. Plenty were mal-adjusted my mek-a-nicks used to other lines. After that they probably used tons of gasoline.

Bro-Ham
02-10-13, 12:46 PM
David you can actually order a copy of your Cadillac's original build sheet for $50 from GM.

I put the link in another topic, I'll find it and add it to this post.

EDIT: http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Veh icle_Information_Availability

It says they may not have some 1973 models available. :( Hope they have your car, it'd help out I'm sure.

The link above looks like you'll get not only a sexually transmitted disease but also a virus.

This is the official GM website for ordering original build sheets and other artifacts:

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=2

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

Tennesseestorm
02-12-13, 01:33 AM
I think the original question as to what happened to these cars when so many were made is an easy one, at least up north-rust. I remember when these cars were new, and I also remember seeing them only 3 or 4 years old, and completely rotted out. First they went by the fender skirts. Then, rust bubbles formed by the chrome body side moldings. If left untreated, those became holes. Then of course they started to rust by the roof. It was so sad, because I would see these late model cars with low mileage completely shot. I would imagine only the western cars are the ones that have survived.

Yeah, my great aunt that moved to Detroit at a very young age (now no longer with us, rest her soul) used to always buy new Cadillacs in the 70s and 80s. Within a couple of years, her cars were already eat up with rust. The worst I think she once told me was her '77 Eldorado. Her last car was a '09 Honda Civic (she passed away in 2012) and that car never developed any rust. Her sister that lives locally here in NE Tennessee inherited it and I guess it has a chance now. lol. I think newer cars now though have better rust protection than they did all those years ago.

My old '72 Buick Electra was amazingly rust free... even under the fender skirts. It had never been in salt, which made a world of difference. Oh how I miss that car! It went to South Carolina in 2002.

IIRC '73 was a bad GM paint year. They mixed wierd stuff right into the paint. Also these cars took special care in proper tuning. Plenty were mal-adjusted my mek-a-nicks used to other lines. After that they probably used tons of gasoline.

I think I got lucky with my '73 Pontiac Grand Ville. It wears the original paint (which is showing its age now), but fairly nice for the age. Its also a 100% rust free car, even under the skirts, but its always been a southern car.