: 50K Service is due soon - anyone know the $$$

Dougs06sts
08-02-09, 03:42 AM
Hopefully, this is a quick and easy question...

I'm within 700 miles of my 50K mi service. Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to shell out? Or... Should I take it like an inmate and bite the pillow? :want:

KARL DAHLEN
08-02-09, 10:53 AM
My dealer charges $197.79 including Mobile 1 and often gives 10% off coupons.

The call it a schedule II maintenace.

EChas3
08-02-09, 01:42 PM
The only thing that I'm considering is whether to flush & fill. I got new oil in June. I'll have them do inspections that I can't do (check trans fluid, etc.) and the only real service is to clean the throttle body.

If they insist I need a new serpintine belt, I'll take the old one and put it in the spare tire well with the right wrench for the tensioner. The replacement may last forever. :)

Seriously, pages 6-5 thru 6-8 of the 2006 manual are very clear and specific. I had one dealer (Summers Buick in Mattoon. IL) that would do Emission Control Service at no extra charge. If someone would do that, the inspections shouldn't take more than 30 minutes - $50?

Hey! It's a chance to sell me a new set of tires or brakes!

next2pool
08-02-09, 08:12 PM
Hopefully, this is a quick and easy question...

I'm within 700 miles of my 50K mi service. Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to shell out? Or... Should I take it like an inmate and bite the pillow? :want:

If you have an extended warranty, you may want to err on the side of documentation rather than cost.

KARL DAHLEN
08-02-09, 09:14 PM
If you have an extended warranty, you may want to err on the side of documentation rather than cost.

thats exactly why i have my dealer change my oil once a year regardless of what the car tels me.

EChas3
08-03-09, 02:15 PM

Nice idea; what's a few bucks when you consider the cost of something major.:thumbsup:

Dougs06sts
08-16-09, 07:03 PM
Just an FYI to anyone who might want to know. My 50,000 mile service bill = $327.35 after tax. Nothing else done but the scheduled maintanence - no oil change either since it isn't due for another 2K.

snum1fan
08-16-09, 07:15 PM
What all was included in that?

KARL DAHLEN
08-16-09, 07:19 PM
That sounds outrageous since Cadillac does not require anything more than at 25K! Who performed it?

Dougs06sts
08-17-09, 02:55 AM
What all was included in that?

Here's what was performed for the cost:
* Replace Air Filter
* Replace PCV Valve
* Inspect Throttle Linkage
* Check and Adjust Timing (if needed)
* Add Fuel Conditioner
* Add Tank Additive
* A/C Inspection
* Check and Adjust Tire Pressures
* Inspection of Front and Rear Brakes - cleaned 1 front rotor of buildup.

I still get a pulsation from the front right rotor. Dealer claims I'll need to have both rotors turned at an estimated cost of $199 for both. I've about had it with these people. I can find NEW aftermarket slotted/dimpled sport rotors for less than $100 each.

Unique Distributing
08-17-09, 03:35 AM
half that crap u can do you self and save yourself some hard earned stimulus!

snum1fan
08-17-09, 05:07 AM
Thats where they get you on the extended warrenty. Sometimes the documentation on service will cost more than the warrenty covered repair.

KARL DAHLEN
08-17-09, 09:36 AM
half that crap u can do you self and save yourself some hard earned stimulus!
And half that crap is not required nor necessary and is only there for profit for the the dealer like the additives.

Dougs06sts
08-18-09, 02:04 AM
And half that crap is not required nor necessary and is only there for profit for the the dealer like the additives.

Agreed. I had a talk with the service manager today about my disappointment with his department. Ultimately though, I have nobody to blame but me. I should have looked into this more before taking it in. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do love this forum.

~ Doug

trackbait
08-19-09, 09:19 PM
Here's what was performed for the cost:
* Replace Air Filter
* Replace PCV Valve
* Inspect Throttle Linkage
* Check and Adjust Timing (if needed)
* Add Fuel Conditioner
* Add Tank Additive
* A/C Inspection
* Check and Adjust Tire Pressures
* Inspection of Front and Rear Brakes - cleaned 1 front rotor of buildup.

So, Here is what you got..

One Air Filter - Part Number: CA9953 $19.95
Repalce PCV valve - They take it out.. If the ball still rattles, they put it back in.

Inspect Throttle Linkage - A less than 1 minute procedure $ Zero cost

Check and Adjust Timing - Really? I've yet to see a shop with a timing light since the late 70's. - It's called the ECU nowdays. $ZERO cost - Hype!

Add Fuel Conditioner - HAHA - yeah - right - $ZERO cost

Add Tank Additive - Uh..is that not the same as above? $ZERO cost

A/C Inspection - Quick 1 min peek at the belt - yeah still on.. $ZERO cost

Check and Adjust Tire pressure - Oh really - they cycled thru the DIC - $ZERO cost.

Inspect Front/Rear Brakes - Does it squeak when going forward or reverse with brake pressure added - NOPE - They are fine - $ZERO cost

Cleaned one brake rotor - Why didn't they blow some air on all 4? $ZERO cost. (probably tacked on some "waste disposal fee" on it too.

So.....the shop rate was likely around $100/hr (20 to the starving mech, 80 to the dealer) You got a MAXIMUM of 15 minutes of someone even looking at or touching your car, but got billed 3+ hours shop rate (using their book rate guide) and $20 for a filter.

AutoZone would have charged you $15 for a filter and put it on for free then do all the rest for free too while you stood by and watched. Bet the dealer would NEVER let you go back in their shop! UH...Insurance ... Right!

I will never understand this....

EChas3
08-20-09, 02:26 PM
Based on experience with N* I think it's reasonable to clean & adjust (as needed/possible) the throttle-body at 50,000 miles. They do have a tendancy to get dirty and can get sticky. Often, the butterfly will wear a slight groove in the body and a tiny adjustment can make a car run a lot better without costly replacement. My wife's 1998 STS saw great benefit from this service.

I also think it's reasonable to properly flush and fill the coolent. I know the owners manual says it isn't necessary (yet) but my 2006 is really approaching 4 years of service. (Cost/benefit seems like a small ratio.)

It's important to at least check the transmission fluid level at 50,000. I have the urge to replace it but I've only towed a light trailer 30 miles. That's not hard duty. But I would like to be sure it's full and clean.

The rest is all inspections or filter changes. Receipts are adequate proof of service for warranty validation. I will have my brakes inspected when I have the wheels off for new tires in a few months. They were fine 8 months ago.

Can a dealer do a better job of such service than a place like Midas? - Probably.
Would a dealer do a better job than a good private shop? - Maybe. They do see more Cadillacs.
Is it worth what a dealer would charge? - I'll let you know. I'm due for service too and will be checking prices.

KARL DAHLEN
08-20-09, 02:34 PM
I believe throttle body service on an *N is a required service to maintain warranty. Anyone correct me if I am mistaken. Transmission service is not required In fact on my 2008 there is no dipstick.

EChas3
08-20-09, 02:56 PM
The 2008 Manual I was looking at appears different than my 2006 manual. I believe you are right.

I'm not smarter than GM's engineers but I do like to play it safe with my cars.

BobbyV
08-28-09, 08:03 AM
If I got a $350+ bill for a 50K service I'd be on the phone to Cadillac Customer Service quicker than a duck on a June bug. As was said earlier, most reputable dealers would have charged only for the new air fliter. The fuel conditioner and tank additive are not required by GM. Knowledge is power. Adjust timing - WTF? Is your car older than '84? If you knew before signing the service authorization that all or most of the 50K services are not approved by GM would you have agreed to pay for them?

Karl commented on the need for throttle body cleaning. Under certain conditions the throttle bore will accumulate a layer of deposits associated with PCV and EGR operation. The deposits essentially reduce closed throttle air flow and would result in a lower than desired idle speed were it not for the on-board computer (ECM). Whenever you put the key in the ignition, but prior to cranking, the ECM records the current throttle position as the fully closed position. By comparing previous readings with the current reading, the ECM is able to detect deposit growth and to command a larger throttle position to maintain desired idle speed. Throttle cleaning is critical when the deposits become so thick that the ECM is no longer able to compensate for them. One could argue that cleaning the throttle body, without an idle problem present, would improve fuel economy. By how much is hard to say. The most important steps to maximize economy are to drive moderately and maintain proper tire inflation.

JGarten
08-28-09, 04:42 PM
The Service Maintenance schedules are mostly "inspect this" and "check that"...you pay $$$ if and when they service or repair anything. Maybe the stealership will top off your washer fluid for free, but everything else has a material/labor cost. I called my local stealership and talked to the service writer about costs and got these prices (note that not everything has a price listed as most items are variable or I just didn't ask like wiper vlades which are DIY anyway):

Service Maintenance II
----------------------
Change engine oil and filter. Reset oil life system. ($74.92 Mobil 1 full synthetic N* V8)
Visually check for any leaks or damage. ($ to repair)
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace filter. ($ if replaced, so DIY!)
Rotate tires and check inflation pressures and wear. ($ if rotated; see "New tires", below)
New tires: $ includes mounting (dead TPMS service extra); $12/tire road hazard includes free rotate/balance; $50 alignment ($80 w/o new tires))
Inspect brake system. ($ to service/repair)
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels and add fluid as needed. ($ top offs included?)
Inspect suspension and steering components. ($ to service/repair)
Inspect engine cooling system. ($ to service/repair, see below)
Inspect wiper blades. ($ if replaced)
Inspect restraint system components. ($ to repair)
Lubricate body components. (included?)
Check transmission fluid level and add fluid as needed. ($ top offs included?)
Replace passenger compartment air filter. ($36.58+$45 labor($81.58))
Inspect throttle system. ($ to repair)
Perform any needed additional services:
Inspect fuel system for damage or leaks. ($ to repair)
Inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components. ($ to repair)
Replace engine air cleaner filter. (DIY)
Throttle body service. ($177, physically removed, cleaned and remounted)
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (60k recmommended). ($242)
Engine cooling system service (60k recmommended). ($156)

...not saying these are good or bad prices, but you gotta pay to play.

Dougs06sts
08-29-09, 03:30 AM
So, Here is what you got..

One Air Filter - Part Number: CA9953 $19.95
Repalce PCV valve - They take it out.. If the ball still rattles, they put it back in.

Inspect Throttle Linkage - A less than 1 minute procedure $ Zero cost

Check and Adjust Timing - Really? I've yet to see a shop with a timing light since the late 70's. - It's called the ECU nowdays. cost - Hype!

Add Fuel Conditioner - HAHA - yeah - right - cost

Add Tank Additive - Uh..is that not the same as above? cost

A/C Inspection - Quick 1 min peek at the belt - yeah still on.. cost

Check and Adjust Tire pressure - Oh really - they cycled thru the DIC - cost.

Inspect Front/Rear Brakes - Does it squeak when going forward or reverse with brake pressure added - NOPE - They are fine - cost

Cleaned one brake rotor - Why didn't they blow some air on all 4? cost. (probably tacked on some "waste disposal fee" on it too.

So.....the shop rate was likely around $100/hr (20 to the starving mech, 80 to the dealer) You got a MAXIMUM of 15 minutes of someone even looking at or touching your car, but got billed 3+ hours shop rate (using their book rate guide) and $20 for a filter.

AutoZone would have charged you $15 for a filter and put it on for free then do all the rest for free too while you stood by and watched. Bet the dealer would NEVER let you go back in their shop! UH...Insurance ... Right!

I will never understand this....

You sound bitter and militant, brother. I love it ! Keep up the good work. :rant2: lol