: Opera Light Bulb

Angry Matt
08-01-09, 09:26 PM
I went to change the bulb in my opera light of my new car and there are no screws. Both my '81's have opera lights, but when the guy did the top of the Brougham he must have replaced the lights with new plastic ones. They look great, but I don't know how to get the lens off. I'm afraid to pull the wrong area and break them. Anybody ever see these?

Bro-Ham
08-02-09, 12:59 AM
Matt, I had a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. The opera lights are removed from inside of the car. Don't try to pull them off from the outside! Also, if I remember correctly, there are no bulbs - - they are electroluminescent. Good luck!!! Dave

Angry Matt
08-02-09, 08:01 AM
That's probably got something to do with the one panel that's not all the way attached in the rear then. The brougham coupe I saw in the junk yard had the same thing too we just thought they were replacements. I guess it all makes sense now. Thanks.

Bro-Ham
08-02-09, 09:05 AM
Hi Matt, I should say you loosen the opera lamp from the inside rear panel and of course it comes off from the outside. I think you will need to replace the whole opera light if you want them to light up because, if I remember correctly, the opera light is all one piece. One of the plastic light panels came off in a car wash on my car and I thought it could be replaced with a standard earlier style opera light with the light bulb and they do not fit! The electroluminescent opera lamps have no outside screws. Guess how I tried to get mine off and nearly destroyed the opera light and vinyl top on my car??? I tried prying the thing off - - big mistake. Went inside the rear panel and it came off in a snap. Hope you can find the right replacement. I think about how cool your unique V6 car is every time I see "Angry Matt." :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-02-09, 12:53 PM
You cannot replace the bulbs in these. They are made of electroluminescent paper that glows when 110V AC current is applied. There is an inverter in the trunk to supply the lights with the necessary AC voltage. There have been several people on here experimenting with cutting the old ones open and replacing the paper with some that they retrofitted in there. Do some searching and it should come up.

tbcaddy18
08-02-09, 07:03 PM
Hey all,

I have an 86 FWB (4 door, not coupe) with a similar problem...my right side opera lamp works fine, but my driver side opera lamps never worked.. Any suggestions?

I was thinking I should check the inverter to see if there is a bad connection, but where in the trunk is that located?..and what does it look like?

...Also my driver side key light ring does not work, but the front passenger door key ring light does work when the door hinged is pressed in?...any suggestions or anyone have similar problems?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-02-09, 07:16 PM
If one side is working, the inverter is working. The way it is wired, both lights have to be plugged in for power to get to the inverter and then the power coming from the inverter is split. Check Ebay to see if someone has a working one. The only way to get it to work again is to replace it with a known good one.

The key ring is powered by a fiber optic connected to a small bulb in the door. If you remove the door panel you should see it with no problem. You can also have some fun with it. I put blue LED bulbs in mine so I had blue key rings on the outside. Everyone who went to get into my car though it was awesome.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1988%20Fleetwood/100_5859.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1988%20Fleetwood/100_5862.jpg

tbcaddy18
08-03-09, 01:22 AM
Awesome key ring lights, ill have to check mine out one weekend to fix that.

So to get to the opera lights I would have to get to them from the inside panel where the seat belt goes into behind the driver on the left?