: Michilen Pilot Sport AS Plus - Best A/S Tire?

Dougs06sts
08-01-09, 04:17 PM
I need your help and feedback as I'm looking to change my performance tires to high quality All Season tires. I'm very happy with my Vogue 235 50 18 (all around) as an exceptional summer tire, but starting to think about the Northwest Fall and Winter Seasons and I know these tires will not be up for that job. I've also been reading the threads about going with 255 45 18's all around and will do that to rotate them properly.

The best rated tires I've been able to find are the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus Tires. I know they're more expensive, but I want quality first - bargain 2nd.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with these tires on their STS or if they have a better tire recommendation for Wet, Light Snow, Ice, Etc ???

I've attached a photo of the car with the Vogue tires on it. They are a nice looking tire and hate to give them up, but the car won't look very good in the ditch either !

Thank you for your help and support.

C&C
08-01-09, 05:01 PM
I replaced my originals tires with Pilot Sport A/S (before the pluses were available); very happy with the A/S. I would expect that the 'pluses' would be as good or better. Yes, they are pricey, but the piece of mind of Michelin's are worth it (to me). I have an '06 STS; staggered (front/rear) with the 17 inch wheels.

Force-1
08-01-09, 06:07 PM
I had them on my Lincoln LS V8, and really liked them. Only problem was they wore out quick and had to be replaced at about 18K.

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX on my STS now, think they are about as good as the Michelin A/S, and are much cheaper.

EChas3
08-01-09, 07:10 PM
All-Season's may still fall short of your need on this car in snow. Ever get any and need to be someplace?

Will you be changing back to your Summer tires in April?

pjbizjak
08-01-09, 07:57 PM
V-8* or V6, RWD or 4WD, trim level(1sg?)? For winter driving I would suggest going with a winter tire, Blizzak IMO are the best. U can get away with 235/50/18 all around. Generally a narrower tire is recommended in snow. I also suggest investing in wheels also so you don't have to mount and dismount the tires seasonally.

Lifer
08-01-09, 10:59 PM
I had them on my Lincoln LS V8, and really liked them. Only problem was they wore out quick and had to be replaced at about 18K.

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX on my STS now, think they are about as good as the Michelin A/S, and are much cheaper.

Very good tires. Agree.

Dougs06sts
08-02-09, 12:23 AM
All-Season's may still fall short of your need on this car in snow. Ever get any and need to be someplace?

Will you be changing back to your Summer tires in April?

I'd been wrestling with that. I've looked at the Blizzak's, but winters here are typically wet with unpredictable snow/icy days. Most seasons we only have 10-15 days where true snow tires would show their worth, so I mentally settled on a high quality all season tire that has good performance in those areas just in case. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus had rating numbers close to the Blizzak for snow and ice performance as well as excellent marks in most all else.

When there is more than a dusting of snow on the road or in the forcast, my wife and I will carpool in her 4X4 Pathfinder. I just put an excellent set of Yokohama Geolandar AT-S on that last fall and it crawled through the record snow we had last winter like a champion of the tundra - lol.

Also read the post on getting a 2nd set of wheels for the winter tires. I would definitely do that if I absolutely had to drive the car in snow.

Thank you very much guys for your advice. I appreciate it greatly ! :musical:

dhemrick
08-02-09, 03:51 AM
We replaced the former Goodyear F1 A/S tires on both the STS4 and the STS-V with the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S and never looked back. The Goodyears were cheaper, but didn't last very long and by 15K miles were EXTREMELY noisy on both cars. Since the STS4 and the STS-V are such different cars with different drivers and are both well maintained, I feel justified in blaming the tires for their premature wear and excessive noise.

I have been very happy with the Michelins so far. They are much quieter and ride better, and the grip is about the same as with the Goodyears. They were more expensive, but as the previous poster stated, it's worth it. I think we've put about 5K miles on each car since the tires were put on there and it is still like night and day better than the Goodyears (at least in my and my partner's opinons).

Dougs06sts
08-10-09, 10:51 PM
Just got back from the dealer for my 50K service and learned my left front tire is seperating and dangerous to drive on. Appointment is set for tomorrow for the new Pilot Sport AS Plus. I'll let you all know what I think of them after I've had a few days to try them out.

WillySTS
08-11-09, 11:24 AM
Just got back from the dealer for my 50K service and learned my left front tire is seperating and dangerous to drive on. Appointment is set for tomorrow for the new Pilot Sport AS Plus. I'll let you all know what I think of them after I've had a few days to try them out.

Tread separation issues are common with Vouges.

Dougs06sts
08-15-09, 07:14 PM
Tread separation issues are common with Vouges.

I'd heard that from the guys at Discount Tire when I called in the order for the Michelins. I've had the Pilot Sport AS Plus' on the car for a few days now. We've had some good rain storms come through this week, so I had a chance to really get to see how they perform and I can report they're the best tire I've had on a car. In normal driving, the Vogues couldn't get enough traction on wet pavement to keep traction control from taking over on hill starts. That's no problem for the Michelins. In fact, it takes a determined effort with the pedal to engage it even in spots I know are slick when wet (such as the entrance to my offices parking garage). They're very quiet as well in wet, dry and rough patches at highway speed.

I'm not trying to sell tires here, even though it may seem that way but I am excited about these. 18" staggered config were just over 1K :bonkers: I think they're worth it though.

lreddiablo
08-17-09, 05:26 PM
Just over $1k? Get them at Costco.Thats what I plan next time they have the $70 off coupon for a set of 4 Michellins in their flyer. Seems to come around every 3 months or so, was in the early July flyer last. Two fronts $220 each, two rears $239 each comes to $918 - $70 discount is $848 + $14 installation per tire $904. Plus disposal which can't be much more. The good thing about Costco is a roadhazard warranty is included. Oh ya, I live in Cali so the additional 8.75% tax is the killer. Too bad I'm not near Oregon where there is no sales tax! Guess I'm looking at about $983 + disposal fees.

Dougs06sts
08-18-09, 02:00 AM
Yes, but in WA the sales tax is 9.9%. Costco had another fee for the TPMS, which made them just slightly more expensive than Discount Tire which is where I bought them.

lreddiablo
08-19-09, 06:07 PM
9.9%? damn! We both need to go to Oregon!

jamesbalzer
08-20-09, 02:28 AM
Anybody try the Bridgestone Touranza Serenity yet? I have been debating between the Pilot Sport A/S Plus and the Bridgestone; Bridgestone is a little more, but all the reviews suggest that the choppy ride on my 1SG AWD V8 may be significantly improved with this tire......not to hijack the thread, but for comparisons sake!

z06bigbird
08-21-09, 01:52 AM
I just purchased the Michelin Pluses for a 530i, but I have not driven the car.

Other members with questions about tire review specifics can go to tires.com and tirerack.com for a ton of into on reviews. Tire Rack has a color coded rating system. My purchase decision (from Discount Tire) was based on the Tire Rack rating system.

z06bigbird
08-21-09, 01:54 AM
On those really bad days, with 8 inches or snow, or more, put a couple of manhole covers in your trunk.

They are heavy and take up little space.

Dave Buswell
08-21-09, 12:11 PM
I need your help and feedback as I'm looking to change my performance tires to high quality All Season tires. I'm very happy with my Vogue 235 50 18 (all around) as an exceptional summer tire, but starting to think about the Northwest Fall and Winter Seasons and I know these tires will not be up for that job. I've also been reading the threads about going with 255 45 18's all around and will do that to rotate them properly.

The best rated tires I've been able to find are the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus Tires. I know they're more expensive, but I want quality first - bargain 2nd.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with these tires on their STS or if they have a better tire recommendation for Wet, Light Snow, Ice, Etc ???

I've attached a photo of the car with the Vogue tires on it. They are a nice looking tire and hate to give them up, but the car won't look very good in the ditch either !

Thank you for your help and support.

When it was time to replace the OEM tires on my '07 STS, I called Vogue for a set to match the appearance of the set of Vogues (Goodyear) I have on my '07 DTS. I was informed that because of the difference in the STS front and rear sizes, it would not be possible to obtain WWs with the goldline. Tire Rack also indicated they stocked no WWs whatsoever for the STS.

I learned through some auto restorer friends of mine that Diamondback Classics in Conway, SC (1-888-922-1642) custom makes WWs in any width, style and size you wish. I called them and they explained they would vulcanize the WW and/or goldline on any tire I wished. I selected Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the two different sizes required and in a few weeks the custom tires were delivered to my local Cadillac dealer and installed. They are marvelous tires in all respects (admittedly I'm in a temperate climate state) and very, very attractive IMHO. The delivered price was approximate $400 per tire.

MacMuse
08-21-09, 12:35 PM
Great info Dave - thanks for the post. I was interested in goldline, glad to know I have an option if I really want it.

KARL DAHLEN
08-21-09, 01:42 PM
When it was time to replace the OEM tires on my '07 STS, I called Vogue for a set to match the appearance of the set of Vogues (Goodyear) I have on my '07 DTS. I was informed that because of the difference in the STS front and rear sizes, it would not be possible to obtain WWs with the goldline. Tire Rack also indicated they stocked no WWs whatsoever for the STS.

I learned through some auto restorer friends of mine that Diamondback Classics in Conway, SC (1-888-922-1642) custom makes WWs in any width, style and size you wish. I called them and they explained they would vulcanize the WW and/or goldline on any tire I wished. I selected Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the two different sizes required and in a few weeks the custom tires were delivered to my local Cadillac dealer and installed. They are marvelous tires in all respects (admittedly I'm in a temperate climate state) and very, very attractive IMHO. The delivered price was approximate $400 per tire.

I always thought of Vogue tires as "little old ladies with blue hair" tires. My dealer tries to foist them on the unsuspecting at outrageous prices.

Dave Buswell
08-22-09, 07:48 AM
With Vogue tyres, car color and women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!