: How does the CTS-V ride?

Peter Gregg
08-01-09, 02:58 PM
Because the car is so fast all I can find is Youtubes on racing, speed, ru times and so on.

Come here to the forum and it's all about the performance.

I agree the power of the car is awesome, but I sure would love to read about the ride, the quietness, the smoothness and stuff like that. I can't place if this car is going to be a hard rough ride like a kids sportscar or a better ride like a Mercedes E class.

I can't find a car to test drive so I am wondering if the ride is harder like a BMW or as a daily driver would it have some relaxing smoothness to it. I like the power and the bragging rights, and I love the looks, but what is it "like" in terms of riding and driving it on normal city streets?

And is the car quiet or low inside?

Peter

cts-v2009
08-01-09, 03:26 PM
im past owner of SV8 XF and New owner of CTS-V ... the only thing i can say is this car ride is perfect ... and the car is for daily use with no problem ... much better than E or any other car in its class

neuronbob
08-01-09, 05:00 PM
Car is dead quiet inside unless you mod the exhaust, or rev really high.

Ride in touring mode is very comfortable even with stock 19s. Steering is tighter and ride significantly firmer in Sport mode, but never harsh. Harsh would be my S2000 on 18s on a bumpy road.

You'll be just fine.

Tony407
08-01-09, 05:48 PM
The ride in the city is certainly very enjoyable. The ability to change the suspension between tour and sport is very nice. I mostly leave it in sport and it's definitely firm but not overly so. I think Cadillac did a very good job merging luxury with a raw, visceral feel. I don't think it's as quiet as some other "luxury" car's I've owned, but it's certainly acceptable. Clearly Cadillac's area of concern was not spending the extra time and money with above-and-beyond measures of noise suppression like some European manufacturers, but that is okay with me.

Tony

commander112
08-01-09, 06:23 PM
Magnetic ride control. Look it up. It is the bomb!

Caroutisine
08-01-09, 06:27 PM
It rides better than my 2005 STS (with MRC) did. Very impressive.

neuronbob
08-01-09, 06:37 PM
Magnetic ride control. Look it up. It is the bomb!

Indeed. MRC rocks.

Barry626
08-01-09, 06:45 PM
Because the car is so fast all I can find is Youtubes on racing, speed, ru times and so on.

Come here to the forum and it's all about the performance.

I agree the power of the car is awesome, but I sure would love to read about the ride, the quietness, the smoothness and stuff like that. I can't place if this car is going to be a hard rough ride like a kids sportscar or a better ride like a Mercedes E class.

I can't find a car to test drive so I am wondering if the ride is harder like a BMW or as a daily driver would it have some relaxing smoothness to it. I like the power and the bragging rights, and I love the looks, but what is it "like" in terms of riding and driving it on normal city streets?

And is the car quiet or low inside?

Peter

Very quiet inside far as wind noise. Do get a nice rumble from the engine.

God no, nothing like the hard ass ride of the BMW.
I had a 2006 330 & 2007 335 & never again, just horrible!

You have choice of Sport & Touring suspension & both are excellent!

62Jeff
08-01-09, 07:59 PM
My CTS-V has the standard seats.

The CTS-V, with the magnetic ride control set to Tour, is slightly softer than the ride of my 2007 corvette with magnetic ride control set on Tour. This CTS-V in Tour mode, is no floating cloud like your grandfather's caddy.

The CTS-V with the magnetic ride control set to Sport is about the same as my vette with it on Tour.

I just drove 200 miles today on I-10, with the radio off. The tires are noisy. I can't classify this as a quiet road car, although when I have the stereo on, it's fine.

marktanner
08-01-09, 11:08 PM
I just got my car back after a week with a base CTS loaner, so I have back to back experience with both ends of the spectrum. The base CTS, with 17" tires is certainly cushier, and a bit quieter and smoother on noisy pavement, but it is by no means a marshmallow. The CTS-V has more road feel, and you will feel more road imperfections, but it is never harsh. It is VERY planted feeling, especially in Sport. On bigger bumps, the V actually rides better than the base car, with much more control and surprising smoothness. The magnetic shocks are really awesome. The difference between tour and sport is not huge, but definitely notable and welcome, depending on your mood. Competitive mode on the traction control also firms up the steering, so you can really tailor the way the car drives. It is still a luxury car, but one that also handles as well as many sports cars. Very impressive.

Caddyscat
08-02-09, 02:06 AM
My wife asked me what I liked most about our new V. I came from a 2002 WS6. The ride is absolutely wonderful. MRC is without a doubt, DA SHIZNIT! in places where the TA would start to slide, the V just sticks and you wonder where the bump went.

She likes that it GOES when you press the pedal.

thatcoder
08-02-09, 10:19 AM
I think you don't see a lot about the ride because you should be able to go to your local dealership and convince them into letting you take it for a test drive. It should sell itself.