: Oil Filter Location

nynd
08-01-09, 02:25 PM
For those that may have changed their oil on their own, I'm wondering if there is adequate access to the filter to use those loop tightening filter tools or if it needs to be the end cap type that seats at the base of the filter? Going to change in today so was trying to get some feedback before jacking it up.

SSideways
08-01-09, 02:37 PM
end cap

nynd
08-01-09, 04:45 PM
Thanks brother! Need to go and buy one!

tbss08
08-01-09, 09:56 PM
Did mine in the garage with a strap type and a swivel handle, worked just fine. The end cover would be easy.

mbshoe
08-02-09, 05:55 AM
I did my first filter change with the strap type tool. The darn thing was on pretty tight.

tedcmiller
08-02-09, 04:04 PM
I had the same experience as mbshoe. The filter as it was installed at the factory was too tight for the end cap tool. It simply slipped on the filter. I then used a strap type tool and was able to removed the factory installed filter. Hopefuly, the filter is not on so tight now that an end cap tool will not work.

1BlinkGone
08-05-09, 08:32 PM
It's amazing- factory spec for tightening oil filters is fairly light; but I've never EVER seen a factory-installed OEM filter that wasn't on freaking TIGHT. EVER.
I've done hundreds, if not thousands of first-time oil changes over a 20-year period and they were always ridiculously tight- many filters I would get off only after severely destroying the filter case. This was across the board too, with domestics. (Ford, GM, Chrysler) Some, I believe, may have been put on without first putting a tad of oil on the gasket surface. just a guess...

tedcmiller
08-05-09, 10:25 PM
All installation instructions for any oil filter that I have seen (car and motorcycle) specify seating the filter and then turning it 3/4 turn more by hand only. How the factory manages to get oil filters on so tight is beyond me, unless they completely ignore the above instructions.

mole177
08-06-09, 09:09 PM
GM is outsourcing oil filter tightening by gorillas, they get paid in bananas.