: Rear-ended!

neuronbob
08-01-09, 11:49 AM
I haven't even had my first oil change yet. Idiot hit me at low speed as I stopped for oncoming traffic. Hit my bumper and the driver's side of the bumper tore wide open, exposing the underside of the car. Car was driveable and the other guy admitted fault. No one was hurt, including my 3-year-old who was riding with me. Pix coming when I get home from the body shop.

Fookin A. So far, looks like a total bumper redo and touch up of scratches on the rear quarter panel. His Lexus RX330 had only a scratched and cracked bumper.

$hit happens, but now the car is going to worth $1000s less on trade-in or sale. :rant2:

CIWS
08-01-09, 11:50 AM
:dammit: sorry to hear dude. :(

commander112
08-01-09, 12:38 PM
You are over reacting as to the value on trade in. As long as it is properly fixed no one will ever ask if the car has had a new bumper put on it. Sorry to hear of the accident.

neuronbob
08-01-09, 02:07 PM
OK, I'm a lot less excitable than earlier today. Got back from the body shop a while ago. The taillight is damaged, as well as the bumper, and a few minor scratches on the quarter panel where it meets the bumper. Overall, it's really not too bad. They say they should be able to fix it quickly and have ordered parts to arrive at mid-week. My primary worry at this time is that the car is listed in the insurer's system as a CTS.....I have made sure to mention on more than one occasion that the rear bumper is different from a regular CTS.

I thought even bumper incidents caused significant changes in value?

thebigjimsho
08-01-09, 02:12 PM
A bumper should keep your value up. Don't worry...

Hawkeye2
08-01-09, 02:13 PM
Glad no injuries. Bumper, tailight lens and some labor. Hope your shop is good at blending paint. Then
it would be almost impossible to tell.

Tasos
08-01-09, 02:50 PM
Your value shouldn't change. Another thing going for you is that the car is quite new so there shouldn't be any paint fade so a newly painted bumper should match the body quite nicely. The other point I would like to make is to check the backup sensors closely. 1 or 2 of them may have taken a fatal hit. You should have them checked.

Tony407
08-01-09, 06:00 PM
I've had two cars over the last 10 years or so that I was rear ended in within a month of ownership. Both rear bumpers and some frame stuff underneath had to be replaced and even though I was quite worried about resale value as well, neither car suffered any such devaluation. Just make sure the body shop is top notch! And don't wax the bumper until the paint has had a chance to cure - 3 months or so - whatever the body shop tells you. Glad no one was hurt.

Tony

Krug Ford
08-01-09, 06:02 PM
It all depends if a police report was made and it will show up on car fax then when a body shop writes it up to fix

Sorry about that happening

time for a trade in.

neuronbob
08-01-09, 06:48 PM
time for a trade in.

LOL! Trying to sell another V to me already, I see. :D

Thanks for the comments on value after a fender-bender. I don't see how there can be any frame damage given where my car was hit. Seemed to drive fine after the accident. One never knows, though.

I appreciate the tip about the rear sensors as well--I could see the VERY thick cable going to the backup sensor and it seemed intact....and the system seemed to work normally when I backed into my garage as I always do. I'll have the system formally checked at my oil change, which was scheduled for in about two weeks, but will now need to be delayed.

The body shop I took it to did another of my cars several years ago and the job was darned near perfect. The fact that the other guy's insurance is the same as mine, and uses that body shop, is icing on the cake.

At least I have another great car to drive over however many weeks my car is in the body shop. The S2000 will be called to daily driver duty and its body and frame allowed to *shudder* see wet roads.

backup
08-01-09, 07:17 PM
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear about it. I am sure the repair can be done flawlessly though. Good point about the police report, the only resale value damage I can see would be from a potential buyer seeing an accident on a CarFax. Just curious, was a police report filed?

I tried to avoid rain with my S2000 also, but did not always succeed. The S02s seriously suck on wet or cold. But that is about the only way you can get them to spin also!

Still getting used to power oversteer in the V versus snap oversteer in the S2000... I keep telling myself don't lift!

Nutz
08-01-09, 10:11 PM
Sorry to here it Bob.:helpless:

Very glad to here the little guy and yourself are o.k.!
New bumper for sure, and check the floor in the trunk and forward of the rear frame/cradle mount for any buckling. Contact me if you want the best painter, by me in Columbia Station. You will want a good one in order to match silver.

Onstar contact you?

marktanner
08-01-09, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Thankfully, it was low speed.

As far as the resale goes, it may take a slight hit. After all, it's practically brand new. That's why they are supposed to give you a loss of value payment. In Georgia, it's now mandatory. I don't know about that where you live, but you should insist anyway. Even when it wasn't mandatory, by asking I always got a loss of value payment.

Your car won't be in the shop long, maybe three days max. The bumper will be painted off the car, possibly even before the car gets to the shop. The tail-light is easy. The fender scratches will take the most time, and that can be done quickly these days. Make sure the exhaust is okay, too. The insurance should give you a nice rental. After all, your $60K+ Caddy was damaged by someone else, so don't let them give you a Cobalt! Too bad there's no PITA payment. Good Luck!

Gary Wells
08-01-09, 10:34 PM
anonfrank:
Sorry to hear, I can't even imagine your frustration over this. I don't think that very many or any of the Law Enforcement Agencies report accidents to Carfax, but I believe that the insurance companies do. Good luck with the repair / restoration.

neuronbob
08-02-09, 05:46 PM
Nutz, no, OnStar didn't contact me...or if they tried, I was outside of the car for a good 25 minutes between talking to the other guy's insurance and the police.

Thanks for talking me down after I vented, guys. I am now serenely awaiting the completion of the repair. My precious is in my garage until Wednesday, then it goes back to the body shop.

annie
08-03-09, 12:44 AM
when I buy used cars for my dealership at Manheim they check the auto check report on all cars and announce all negative info before biding begins.
in New York any accident reporting damage over $1,000.00 will show on car fax and auto check with police report number for reference.

I also auto check all trade-ins that come to my dealership since i get them free threw Manhiem. A car with an accident should always be worth less than the same car with out one.

Tony407
08-03-09, 02:26 AM
Just because a car has been in an accident doesn't always mean it will be worth less.

A car with a replaced rear bumper (like 2 of my previous cars,) and a repainted front bumper (like one of my cars) should not have any affect on resale assuming the repair work is top notch. You may get an occasional buyer that passes on your car over another, or offers you less - but that doesn't mean all of them will.

Tony

Krug Ford
08-03-09, 09:47 AM
Nutz, no, OnStar didn't contact me...or if they tried, I was outside of the car for a good 25 minutes between talking to the other guy's insurance and the police.

Thanks for talking me down after I vented, guys. I am now serenely awaiting the completion of the repair. My precious is in my garage until Wednesday, then it goes back to the body shop.

The Air Bags have to go off for onstar to contact.

neuronbob
08-05-09, 05:45 PM
Update: $1900 to replace bumper + taillight, $1100 in parts and $800 labor/paint. They're also checking the far left backup sensor wiring as that seems to have been dinged as well. No damage anywhere else. Good thing the other guy's insurance is paying for it. Barring parts availability, the car should be ready by the end of next week.

Yay to having only cosmetic damage. :D

neuronbob
08-13-09, 10:05 PM
I got him back this evening, good as new. I took him on a shakedown freeway blast, my little boy in tow. (He loves his car seat time.....)

Yippee!

commander112
08-13-09, 10:29 PM
Great news!