: Gear selection display dim

smelly$cat
08-01-09, 12:10 PM
Recently purchased a 03 ESV with 110K on it.

One of the small problems it has is that the gear selection display is very dim. In most light conditions, you cannot even see it. Occasionally, you can barely read it. I'm hoping this is a simple fix (bulb).

I also noticed that one of the bulbs is out behind the speedometer as a portion of it is dim at night (around the 80 mph mark). I'm pretty confident this is just a bulb.

If anyone has and experience/input on these issues, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jeff

sk7
08-01-09, 08:03 PM
Would make sense that it should be a light bulb issue. I had my cluster out a few months ago to clean the clear plastic lens on it. Mine does go dim when light are on, but its pretty bright otherwise. Very easy 15 minutes job to take out the cluster and check the bulbs. Put truck in 1st gear (to move the gear selector lever outta the way, pull the front dash piece out (no screws on that one). Put back in park and ignition off. Cluster is held in place by 4 - 7mm screws. You kinda have to pivot it outta there starting with the top portion pulling towards you then it will come out. Unplugging the unit wont throw any codes or screw up anything (as long as ignition is off ). Keep us posted.

smelly$cat
08-01-09, 08:32 PM
Sounds like cake. I'll peel it apart soon and see what I can figure out. I'm sure the speedo issue is a bulb. The shifter indicator is throwing me a little since it's not acting like a blown bulb, it's just dim. I'll take a look.

pilot-werx
08-02-09, 07:15 AM
I wish it was as easy as replacing bulbs on my 05. I took the panel out and there are no bulbs on the backside that can be replaced... The dealer says I need to swap mine out with another that has been rebuilt...

smelly$cat
08-02-09, 11:28 AM
Pilot,

which problem do you have?

were there screws on the back of the cluster to go deeper?

pilot-werx
08-02-09, 08:17 PM
Half of my speedometer is dim. I took the cluster out and took the back plastic cover off and the only way that i can see how you can get to the bulbs is to pull all the gauge needles off to release the circuit panel itself...

sk7
08-03-09, 07:05 AM
Could the 2003 up cluster be different from 2002? GM manual shows some removeable bulbs for 02 cluster (behind plastic cover), but says some are LED's and are not replaceable. The bulb sits in a plastic insert that can be taken out.

luxurylife33
08-05-09, 02:12 PM
This site is cursed! Everytime something goes wrong with my truck, theres always a thread made within the past 4 days with the same problem.... my tranny temp. light is out on my 03, i hope its replaceable and not an LED ..... im about to leave this site for good!

pilot-werx
08-05-09, 05:40 PM
my 2005 platinum is all LED. i am just found out that the instrument cluster is covered by my extended warranty!

smelly$cat
08-28-09, 05:25 PM
ewill3rd,

Wondering if you have any input on this topic.

My issue is that my gear display is dim. The display that says PRND321.

Sometimes it's almost readable, but, I would just consider it "out".

I found this place online that you can send your cluster to for repair. 169.00 including shipping.

http://www.mrwhizard.com/

Any cheaper options you can think of?

Thanks man!

:thumbsup:

oldworld
08-28-09, 06:07 PM
:alchi:I have seen plenty of new and used instrument clusters on e-bay ....many with excellent 100% feedback ratings.

Prices vary as always with demand, but I have seen them there for $100 to $225 new.
Good luck and keep us posted.

FUNNY about the comment on the postings and how they always seem to relate to a problem on your vehicle....or better yet a problem thats about to happen :alchi:

smelly$cat
08-28-09, 06:12 PM
I guess I could check out ye old ebay. One of my concerns is making sure my mileage statistics etc... are preserved.

:alchi:I have seen plenty of new and used instrument clusters on e-bay ....many with excellent 100% feedback ratings.

Prices vary as always with demand, but I have seen them there for $100 to $225 new.
Good luck and keep us posted.

FUNNY about the comment on the postings and how they always seem to relate to a problem on your vehicle....or better yet a problem thats about to happen :alchi:

oldworld
08-28-09, 07:28 PM
I believe many of the vendors on e-bay will calibrate the new instrument cluster for about $50 to match your existing mileage.

I know of a few guys who bought new clusters with zero miles and used the new ones to preserve the mileage on their warranty. Use the old one for a while and remove it. Put the new one on and use the truck for a while. when something breaks, simply put the new one in, and you are still covered under the warranty.
Also helps people cheat when selling the vehicle. All the real miles were put on the NEW cluster, and the old cluster really does not have all the REAL miles on it.
So simple to change them out, its to easy!!! Thats why you need CAR FAX!!!!:sneaky:

smelly$cat
08-28-09, 07:32 PM
Good thoughts here for sure.... I always check carfax for cars I buy that cost more than 2g.

--

I believe many of the vendors on e-bay will calibrate the new instrument cluster for about $50 to match your existing mileage.

I know of a few guys who bought new clusters with zero miles and used the new ones to preserve the mileage on their warranty. Use the old one for a while and remove it. Put the new one on and use the truck for a while. when something breaks, simply put the new one in, and you are still covered under the warranty.
Also helps people cheat when selling the vehicle. All the real miles were put on the NEW cluster, and the old cluster really does not have all the REAL miles on it.
So simple to change them out, its to easy!!! Thats why you need CAR FAX!!!!:sneaky:

smelly$cat
09-01-09, 01:50 PM
Well, I'm going to send my cluster into this gent on eBay for repair.

120.00 plus shipping costs of my choice to him.

http://tinyurl.com/l5fv8b

If you are reading this post after the link (auction) above has expired, just search ebay for:

"Chevy GM Instrument Speedometer Cluster Gauge Repair"

The seller is "mandigital". His real name is David.

Looks like he will replace all of the stepper motors (the motors that control the gauge needles, not that I have a problem with those), and all the bulbs and he said he would fix my primary problem (the gear selection display not working).

Crossing my fingers that I get it back by the end of this week.... :confused:

Wish me luck. I'll report back on how this goes.

smelly$cat
09-08-09, 12:44 PM
Wow, this service worked like a charm. I sent out my cluster on Monday (over night) and had it back on Friday. Re-Installed and everything works perfectly now! My gear selection display is nice a bright now. And the bulb that was out behind the speedo is now working as well. 150.00 (including shipping) well spent in my humble opinion. :highfive:

Now, on to the next item on my check list.... my random check engine light.....

sk7
09-08-09, 08:40 PM
Good to know and thanxs for the reference. Can't wait to also cross some items on my looooong list of defects...