: 67 Caddy with 498 Custom Thunderbird Engine -- what was this?

trhs75
08-01-09, 09:22 AM
I spend most of my time on the CTS-V (1) forum, but I've wondered about this for a long time. When I was in high school (73-75), a good friend of mine had his dad's 67 sedan (A DeVille, I think, but I'm not positive) which had been custom built for the president of one of our large insurance companies. His dad bought it secondhand, and my friend got to drive it. This car was a monster. We would pull up next to hot-rodders racing each other. They would take off, then we would start off and beat them both to the next stoplight. I remember the engine -- a "498 Custom Thunderbird." I recall Cadillacs having 472's and, later, the 500 ci engines, but I've never read anything about this one. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

As fun as this car was to drive, my friend had even more fun in the expansive back seat with his girlfriends! Somewhere along the way, someone ran into the car, damaging the front fender and wrecking the headlight. We could have bought the car at that point for $100. Four of us guys thought about doing that just to race other cars downtown, but we were trying to imagine what insurance company would have been willing to insure four lead-footed high school boys in a hot rod Cadillac! Well, it was fun to think about ....

sven914
08-01-09, 01:48 PM
Ford made the Thunderbird, but never made a 498 engine. The largest engine for the Thunderbird was the 390.

trhs75
08-01-09, 04:11 PM
No, the engine wasn't from a Thunderbird, that was the name given to the engine by Cadillac. The car was stock. It's just the only one I had ever seen with that engine.

jayoldschool
08-02-09, 01:46 AM
that was the name given to the engine by Cadillac

Did you actually see the name on the engine, or is that just what someone told you it was called. Thunderbird was a trademark of Ford - Cadillac would not (could not) use it for anything...

sven914
08-02-09, 02:08 AM
GM never made a 498. From what I've found, no manufacture ever did.

Chevrolet made an engine called the "Turbo-Fire," but the largest they made, by 67 was 350.

Buick made an aluminum "Fireball" engine in 61, which came supercharged for Cutlasses, but was only a 215.

Oldsmobile made a "Rocket" engine for their Toronado (called the "Toronado Rocket") that was 425 for 67.

Chevrolet also made a "Turbo-Jet," which came out in a 427 for 66.

Cadillac's largest (stock) engine, was a 429, used until 67. It was not titled.

trhs75
08-02-09, 04:14 PM
It's been about 35 years ... but I would swear it was a sticker on the air cleaner. I remember seeing with my own eyes in addition to hearing about it. That's something we couldn't produce on our home computers in 1974! No numbers on the valve covers that I recall (they were visible in those days). The 429 Sven mentions is the one I couldn't recall before the 472. I used to collect new car brochures in those days, and I remember being puzzled that this engine wasn't in the brochure. I don't believe I'm mistaken. It's been so long, but I'm not quite old enough to be senile yet! :) It surely wouldn't have been a gross hp rating sticker, would it? I appreciate the input from you guys. If you ever hear another story about the existence of a 498, let me know.