: 82 Fleetwood Brougham D ' Elegance

MR ED
08-01-09, 02:54 AM
Hey Guys,

I am brand new to this from New Zealand down under. I have 2 Cadi's and the 82 has had an intermittent Drivers Power Window fault. Stops either up or down and then a couple of days later works again. I have tested the switch and we are getting 12 volts out on both up and down direction. I have the door panel off and am about to check wiring to actual motor. Currently the window is down.....not good. I believe I have to drill holes to get access to the motor mounting bolts etc. If anyone can help at this point I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. ED

DanDeville99
08-01-09, 12:31 PM
HI, sounds like you have the typical intermittent connection at the window motor. The brown and dark blue wires get loose where they connect. You will easily find them in the lower right (towards dash) corner of the door. I used to get lucky and could just hold the switch to up while I repeatedly closed the door. Sooner or later it would go up. Another common problem is the conduit passage that looks like the radiator hose on an old car between the firewall and the door. The Pink wire inside it eventually breaks from years of stress of the door opening and closing. This also can happen to the big orange wire inside there for the power seat.

Just so you know, the regulator has to be removed to change the motor. You will locate 5 rivets if its never been out yet. Hammer the pins out then take a 1/4 drill. You can reinstall with 1/4 small bolts and nuts. I never actually took a motor off a regulator yet, but it will be similar procedure or drilling rivets and then using bolts to put back together. The part is very common. The regulator is the same for all 1980-1992 RWD Cadillac as well as all the other GM cars like the Caprice and LEsabre from the 80's. The actual motor fits even more GM cars. Good Luck! Would love to see a picture of your car posted sometime!

DanDeville99
08-01-09, 12:36 PM
There is another point I forgot to make in case of a future problem and you are not sure if its the switch or not. Unless your car has the rare memory seat option, the switch for the 2 rear windows is the same as the front windows. You can swap the plugs if needed and see if that solves the problem. Remember, the switch on most 80 and up GM cars acts as a relay. Therefore, that window will not work if one of the switches is left disconnected or fails.

MR ED
08-01-09, 10:54 PM
Thanks DanDeville. I have sent you a private message as I did not scroll down far enough to see this window. Still learning. Cheers ED