: How to read resistance off VATS ignition key

ocmdiaz714
08-01-09, 12:59 AM
My pass key fault light has been coming on alot recently on my '94 Fleetwood Brougham and I was told by the previous owner that this was caused due to the chip on the key being "dis-magnetized" when his name tag pin went through it. I saw a listing on eBay for a spare ignition key yet I need the resistance from it. I read I need a DDM multimeter but I wouldn't know how to use it. Any help? This is the multimeter I'm looking at getting:

http://pics2.spoonfeeder.com/AieFTPFiles/AIEUser/Q3GRA8BWALAZ/MYR2YF7SWETM.jpg

jayoldschool
08-01-09, 10:24 AM
Any meter will work. The cheapest one from any hardware/parts store. Set it to OHMS (the bottom left settings) and hold the contacts on both sides of the resistor on the key. Use the "2000" setting.

Ohm symbol (resistance is measures in ohms):
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/education/www/ohm/omega.gif

Just a heads up, though... you can't "de-magnatize" a resistor.

ewill3rd
08-01-09, 10:37 AM
The problem you are about to run into is that the real problem has nothing to do with the key.

When these systems get older the wires break near the lock cylinder in the column.
What you need is a new VATS lock cylinder.
You will need a new key and for that you do have to match the resistance of the pellet in the key.
The info above is spot on, here are some additional things to know.

The resistance is within a certain window, there are 15 different 'codes' so even with the resistance value you'll need a chart to convert it to the GM key number.
You have to match the old pellet code with the replacement key for the new lock cyilnder or the car won't start.

We have a machine called the "interrogator" that reads the pellet and tells you which code it is 1-15, then you just get that one.
The new cylinder comes with a blank for the mechanical cut, you take that and the key code to a place that can cut VATS keys and you are good to go.

jayoldschool
08-01-09, 12:57 PM
The "interrogator" is just an ohmmeter.

Just measure the ohms, then you know what key number you need.

Here is the list of resistance values for the keys:

CODE

RESISTOR VALUE IN OHMS

thefleetwoodguy
08-01-09, 01:57 PM
The problem you are about to run into is that the real problem has nothing to do with the key.

When these systems get older the wires break near the lock cylinder in the column.
You will need a new key and for that you do have to match the resistance of the pellet in the key.

The resistance is within a certain window, there are 15 different 'codes' so even with the resistance value you'll need a chart to convert it to the GM key number.
You have to match the old pellet code with the replacement key for the new lock cyilnder or the car won't start.

We have a machine called the "interrogator" that reads the pellet and tells you which code it is 1-15, then you just get that one.
The new cylinder comes with a blank for the mechanical cut, you take that and the key code to a place that can cut VATS keys and you are good to go.
there are a couple of options, if you dont want to replace the lock cylinder
assuming thats the problem
1-you can wire in the resistor of the key value, this can be done easily
theres other ways to do it, but this seems to be the most cost effective, and easy way to go

ocmdiaz714
08-01-09, 03:58 PM

Is there a possibility that all I may need is a new key?