: Short tire life?

uncletoad
07-31-09, 10:26 PM
Hello,
1st post. I did several searches, but nothing turned up
I have a manual that I bought with 5600 miles, and am now at 7500.
Rear tires at 3/32nds and fronts a bit more. Does this seem like excessive wear for 7500 miles? I have had PS2s two on previous cars of a similar weight, 2 S4 Audis, and routinely got 30 to 35K. I recognize this the V has a lot more torque, but such reduced tread depths seem excessive at my current mileage. I spoke with Michelin and got nebulous responses.
Some questions, as I am concern about 2K in tires every 1.5 oil changes:

1. What have your experiences been with tire life on this car,
2. For those of that have gone the non OEM route, what did you get and how do the new tire compare with the PS2?

Thanks
Christopher

jwa999
07-31-09, 11:13 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

I'm at 8300 miles and just replaced the ps2 with hankooks.

My back tires where over the wear indicator. I could have gone a little more, except for the fact that the outer edge of my front right tire completely delaminated. Only canvas left. Happened sunday 2 weeks ago. I ran about 140 in 105 degree weather. Tire pressures were ok, about 34-35 cold.
Checking the tire after it came off the car, i could tell that edge was a lot weaker than the healthy edges. I could easily press my finger into it.

Hankook:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

I started out with 35bls tonight in all four tires. The car felt very floaty, so I dropped 2lbs in all 4 and it felt much better. They don't feel as sharp as the PS2s, but at the same time they do stay right on course with no side effects. We had a rare sprinkle here in texas tonight and the tires felt very solid. So, sofar i'm not dissappoined, since I paid $792 for a set of 4 from tirerack, including shipping. That half of what PS2s would cost at a good discount.

I'll report back on the tires when I got more miles on them.

Hans.

gravedigger
08-01-09, 01:06 AM
I have 6,000+ on mine and have at least 80% left and I dont baby the car I drive it like it is meant to be driven. There are a lot of reasons for premature tire wear such as inflation, mechanical issue (alignment etc), type of driving, temperature, road conditions and many more.
Over-inflation will cause wear in the center of the tire. Under-inflation wear wear on BOTH shoulders. If both front/rear tires area wearing on either the outside or inside then this would be an alignment issue. If you are getting irregular wear on any single tire (on the V2 specifically) than I would get straight to the dealer because you have something going on with the suspension. If you do a lot of stop and go traffic driving than you would see premature wear. I have a ton of literature on tires and have read all of them since I make a living in the tire industry and I can answer almost any question you have.
If both your rear tires have worn that quickly and are worn evenly than I would assume you drive a lot in traffic, Atlanta traffic stinks lol. The good ol hot southern summers are a tires worst enemy. I have traveled to Atlanta twice in the V and have to say for all the construction that always seems to be going on, the roads are very harsh. I could go on and on but all of these play a factor with your issue.

Michelin is the most advanced and best tire company available and the PS2 is probably the ultra high performance tire available, just look at the OEM tires on most high end performance vehicles. The issue with "OEM" tires is that they are not made to last long in any application, they are designed to have the least rolling resistance for that vehicle. Michelin is very customer oriented company and would probably love to hear of these issues. You can call 800-TIREHELp and see what they say about the issue.

This is just a little premature tire life info that may help.

JWA I would consider getting your car checked out.

jwa999
08-01-09, 02:17 AM
^^^^^^^

I know why my rear tires are worn out. I drive agressively. I take full blame.
My porsche rear tires, continental sportcontact only lasted 6000 miles last time. Usually they last more, but I guess the porsche has been handling exceptionally well the last year, so the tires get a beating. But i've never had the front tires delaminate like that before. From one drive. You can literally see the left over rubber peeling off. The dealer filled the tires with n2. I always monitor the tire pressure. I never let the tire pressure get too low. I had actually added a pound or so to the tires the week before. But I love to take very hard left turn corners.
The alignment machine was down, i i'll have it aligned monday.

Hans.

SLPR 6.0L
08-01-09, 06:57 AM
I have run PS2s for the last two sets of tires on my V1 and never went over 20,000 miles. Mostly highway. <10,000 miles would hurt. Thats the price of going fast. I am thinking of switching to the Hankooks after the tire comparo in car and driver.

zr1vet
08-01-09, 08:59 AM
Gravedigger,

You mentioned you were very knowledgeable about the tire business. My wife is working on her Doc and is writing a paper on the supply chain management and how RFID is used within the supply chain. Would you have any information concerning this area? If so, would you be willing to answer questions or provide expert information? Thanks,

I'm unable to send PMs at this time.

Mark

uncletoad
08-01-09, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts.
I play with the car also, but I don't do hole shots, spin ups to make smoke and get the tires hot. I wait until they are good and warm before I start to play with the loud pedal.
Per the hot weather comment, the Audi's got 30K in Houston where the roads are really bad and it is always hot. But I agree completey with your comments Gravedigger, I just mention this to say that I had better wear in worse conditions.
I have had my car aligned twice as the dealer did not get it right the 1st time. The wear is even on the tires. I have no idea what the last owner's inflation history is, but I am keeping mine at 35psi all around.
Is anyone rotating the PS2 side to side?

JWA I would like to hear more about your experiment with Hankooks.

Again, thanks for the responses

Razorecko
08-01-09, 10:06 AM
I went with nitto invo's and i can't complain. They dont corner as well but thats remedied with a couple additional psi. When heated a little they grip really good. And the tread patter looks badass :thumbsup:

radix
08-01-09, 12:45 PM
I have 6,000+ on mine and have at least 80% left and I dont baby the car I drive it like it is meant to be driven. There are a lot of reasons for premature tire wear such as inflation, mechanical issue (alignment etc), type of driving, temperature, road conditions and many more.
Over-inflation will cause wear in the center of the tire. Under-inflation wear wear on BOTH shoulders. If both front/rear tires area wearing on either the outside or inside then this would be an alignment issue. If you are getting irregular wear on any single tire (on the V2 specifically) than I would get straight to the dealer because you have something going on with the suspension. If you do a lot of stop and go traffic driving than you would see premature wear. I have a ton of literature on tires and have read all of them since I make a living in the tire industry and I can answer almost any question you have.
If both your rear tires have worn that quickly and are worn evenly than I would assume you drive a lot in traffic, Atlanta traffic stinks lol. The good ol hot southern summers are a tires worst enemy. I have traveled to Atlanta twice in the V and have to say for all the construction that always seems to be going on, the roads are very harsh. I could go on and on but all of these play a factor with your issue.

Michelin is the most advanced and best tire company available and the PS2 is probably the ultra high performance tire available, just look at the OEM tires on most high end performance vehicles. The issue with "OEM" tires is that they are not made to last long in any application, they are designed to have the least rolling resistance for that vehicle. Michelin is very customer oriented company and would probably love to hear of these issues. You can call 800-TIREHELp and see what they say about the issue.

This is just a little premature tire life info that may help.

JWA I would consider getting your car checked out.

Any comments on why tires become noisy ?

On several vehicles, including my V1, even with rigorous rotations and pressure monitoring I have had problems with tires becoming stupid noisy (seems like a taper of wear \along the edge blocks of the tires) these blocks then drone and make noise. Alignment good, no pulls or leads.

Is it just the nature of some tire/car combinations, any way to avoid ?

JFJr
08-02-09, 12:42 PM
Hello,
1st post. I did several searches, but nothing turned up
I have a manual that I bought with 5600 miles, and am now at 7500.
Rear tires at 3/32nds and fronts a bit more. Does this seem like excessive wear for 7500 miles? I have a little over 11,000 miles and expect to get another 12,000+ miles on the OEM PS2's. Your wear sounds excessive, so you might want to have the dealer to check the usual suspects.

CVP33
08-02-09, 01:30 PM
I've been experimenting with performance tires under heavy cars for 5 years. First with my two V1's, now with my two SRT8's. The Goodyear F1's were the worst for tire wear achieving 8,000 miles for the rears. The Falken 452's were great for being quiet but only had 90% of the handling of the GY's. The best tires so far that I've found:

Toyo Proxes 4
Vredesteins
Nitto NT05 (a little sketchy in the rain though)

These have the sidewall support (XL load) that you need to keep the car feeling planted and the grip you need to toss it into corners. I just ordered the Hankooks that JWA999 did after seeing the C/D article and they're sitting in the garage. I still have another 5,000 or so miles for the Toyo's, but I'm happy to hear his results so far. I went with 255/45/20's after chickening out of the 275/35's. Purchased through Discount Tire Direct for $600 after $50 price match offer and $50 rebate.

I currently have 275/40's on all four corners with the Toyo's. Although not the equal of the Vred's in lateral traction they do handle incredibly well wet or dry and have the best straight line grip of any tire I've driven short of a drag radial. They do sing a little on the hwy though.

gravedigger
08-02-09, 03:53 PM
Gravedigger,

You mentioned you were very knowledgeable about the tire business. My wife is working on her Doc and is writing a paper on the supply chain management and how RFID is used within the supply chain. Would you have any information concerning this area? If so, would you be willing to answer questions or provide expert information? Thanks,

I'm unable to send PMs at this time.

Mark

To be honest, I am not sure if or when this procedure will begin. I know it has been something that Michelin and a couple other companies have been looking into for several years. I am sorry I am no help but if you have specific questions I have contacts to get the answers.

gravedigger
08-02-09, 04:06 PM
Any comments on why tires become noisy ?

On several vehicles, including my V1, even with rigorous rotations and pressure monitoring I have had problems with tires becoming stupid noisy (seems like a taper of wear along the edge blocks of the tires) these blocks then drone and make noise. Alignment good, no pulls or leads.

Is it just the nature of some tire/car combinations, any way to avoid ?

This is another issue that has many causes. A lot of your high performance vehicles will develop the issue due to the way the suspension is set up. How are they rotating the tires? Changing the direction the tire spins is about all you can do. I know a lot of shops that will only rotate front to back. There are a couple tires that it is not recommended to change there direction even though they are not directional tires.... but yes every vehicle is different and will wear tires differentally. It is very hard to diagnose an issue without seeing the product.

uncletoad
08-03-09, 10:14 PM
Thanks again everyone.
Dealer seems to think my car was an early GM release to the press, and there for may have seen some exaggerated use......
Complained about rotor warp, they agreed and are replacing.
Great service so far from Capital Cadillac

jwa999
08-07-09, 03:11 AM
Finally got my alignment today. Shop had messed up my rim once again. Same rim has now been repaired 3 times.
There was a lot of toe in, which explains why the outside of the fronts where worn out. So get your alignment check guys. You will were out those PS2 early!

About the Hankooks, the jury is still out. Definitely not as good as the PS2s.
I keep lowering the tire pressure. started at 35, very floaty. drop 2 pounds, still a little grabby on high speed lane changes. So lower it some more, down to 32 or so. Now better, but is exactly as the article mentioned, there not as precise.
There's a little softer sidewall. Braked hard in a corner at high speed and definitely had to pay attention. Hear a lot of tire squealing. PS2 never did that.
But overall drivable, and hold their grip. Just different, so it takes a little bit of time to get used to their behaviour.

Hans.

Vrocks
08-07-09, 08:39 AM
I figured they couldn't last long if the car was driven somewhat hard. The shortest tire life that I've heard of around here has been 2,000 miles.

When I had the V1, my tires were done at 8,000 - I'm expecting around the same or less with the V2.

SLPR 6.0L
08-07-09, 11:26 PM
Finally got my alignment today. Shop had messed up my rim once again. Same rim has now been repaired 3 times.
There was a lot of toe in, which explains why the outside of the fronts where worn out. So get your alignment check guys. You will were out those PS2 early!

About the Hankooks, the jury is still out. Definitely not as good as the PS2s.
I keep lowering the tire pressure. started at 35, very floaty. drop 2 pounds, still a little grabby on high speed lane changes. So lower it some more, down to 32 or so. Now better, but is exactly as the article mentioned, there not as precise.
There's a little softer sidewall. Braked hard in a corner at high speed and definitely had to pay attention. Hear a lot of tire squealing. PS2 never did that.
But overall drivable, and hold their grip. Just different, so it takes a little bit of time to get used to their behaviour.

Hans.

Good to know, which tire will you buy next time?

jwa999
08-17-09, 01:49 PM
Got 500 miles on the Hankooks. Now running them at 38lbs cold. Work excellent in competitive mode in daily driving. At 38lbs they don't squeal as much going hard through a corner.
Lane changes at 100+mph are awsome in competitive mode. Gives a nice predictable kick.
Car very light on its feet, very maneuverable and very precise.

Hans.

RogersV
08-17-09, 03:00 PM
I just had the factory alignment checked this A.M. with 6000 miles, all corners out of spec with the fronts more so. All is good now.

uncletoad
08-17-09, 10:14 PM
Hans,
Thanks for the Update, really! A better review than your 1st post. Now with some miles on them and likely broken in, how would you compare the Hankooks with the PS2?

jwa999
08-17-09, 10:58 PM
Hans,
Thanks for the Update, really! A better review than your 1st post. Now with some miles on them and likely broken in, how would you compare the Hankooks with the PS2?

Well, they are a little softer than the PS2. They squeal unlike the PS2s, expecially under hard braking. But they do brake good. The car really likes these tires. The softness actually makes the drive through corners a little smoother. I notice a little less jerkyness (using sport suspension). After i upped the pressure, i really started to enjoy them. The competitive mode is a little softer, which makes it more usable for daily driving. The car is very responsive. I'm not disappointed.

Hans.

uncletoad
08-18-09, 05:36 AM
Thanks again Hans. Very helpful. I hate to spend $2K on tires when I can get 95% at half the cost.
Similarly I don't want to spend $1 K for something unsuitable.
I hope Michelin is paying attention here.

Gary Wells
08-18-09, 05:56 AM
Thanks again Hans. Very helpful. I hate to spend $2K on tires when I can get 95% at half the cost.
Similarly I don't want to spend $1 K for something unsuitable.
I hope Michelin is paying attention here.

I would be willing to bet that Hankooks will go up in cost long before Michelin goes down in price. Just a guess though.

uncletoad
08-18-09, 02:10 PM
I would anticipate some equivocation, but if asain tires are that far under market and maintain the spread, Michelin will loose share. As they are at the tip of the Innovation curve all they can do is take price.

Gary Wells
08-18-09, 07:49 PM
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, but relatively speaking, my experience with products in general is that the lower $ item will go up before the higher $ item will go down. But I am only guessing.

uncletoad
08-18-09, 08:45 PM
You are none of those.
What I don't know is how long Hankook has been around. If they are brand new, I agree they are buying into the market, could be subsidized by their Government, and my have plans to take price as they grow share- not a particularly good call in a near commodity market. We are not typical tire buyers. If they have been around for a while I am less certain. Korea enjoys some excellent coast advantages. France, not so much. So it may be that Michelin can not come down, and Hankook need not go up.

jwa999
08-19-09, 11:11 AM
Here's something interesting about Hankook:

June 2003
An historic moment in the company's history: Hankook Tire concludes a strategic alliance with the Michelin Group, the global market leader in the tire industry. The contract provides for cooperation in production, distribution and sales. Thus, for instance, using its own technology, Hankook Tire is able to produce tires under the Michelin brand name. This
provides the company with an opportunity to prove its competitiveness, high product quality, and first-rate production technology.

http://www.eucosof.de/cgi-bin/ihantaeu/read1.cgi?board=en_about_korea&y_number=0&nnew=2

Hans.

thebigjimsho
08-19-09, 03:14 PM
556hp 551lb/ft

uncletoad
08-21-09, 08:34 PM
Hans,
Enlightening, Thank you.

Leadfoot09
08-22-09, 09:59 AM
Uncletoad,

Glad to hear about your experience with Capital--that's where I bought my V2 in January. About to go in for my first service this week to address all issues to date, so I am hopeful of a positive experience after hearing about yours. What kind of loaner did they give you?

uncletoad
08-22-09, 10:18 AM
Leadfoot,
Capital has been good, and I have good experiences with Glenn. Ask for him.
Both loners were CTS Automatics, One in the small engine and the other a 3.6L.
Are you the Pearl White V I see in Marietta? If so, we have waved several times.
Have fun.

b4z
08-22-09, 08:06 PM
Re: C&D Tire Comparo and other comments

Bridgestone RE760s(edit:XL load rating) on my 3800lb GTO. These replaced BFG KDW2s which replaced OE BFG KDWSs. Tire size is 245/40-18s.
Whatever you guys do stay away from the KDW2s. Noisy Noisy Noisy. C&D said they are 3db louder than the RE760s. I would say that
by the time the KDW2s had 15,000 miles on them they were 6db louder. Awful.
I love the RE760s. They are quiet and ride well and have been on the Tail of the Dragon at 9/10s on 2 occassions and with 37lbs of air they have served my understeering rolly GTO well. I can throw the car into a 10mph hairpin or 60mph sweeper with confidence.
They are not the last word in the wet but I am very confortable with them in those conditions.
My car feels great and rolls smooth with the Bridgestones.

On my 2 SRXs I have had probs with both sets of Goodyear RSAs. No amount of balancing got the jiggle out of the rear set. Steering wheel didn't vibrate but the whole car did at speed. Replaced the '04s with Continental CC LXs. Got rid of the jiggle.
My '07 had the same prob. Bought a set of GM Accessory EB179 18s with Michelins. Got rid of the jiggle.

I don't think that Michelin is the great company it used to be. They build smooth quiet tires but I feel Bridgestone, Dunlop, Hankook, etc. are more competitive. Goodyear has got some serious QC probs. Although I just made 80% profit on their stock, so what do I know?LOL.

Leadfoot09
08-22-09, 08:51 PM
Uncle,
My V2 is black, so I am not the one in Marietta. But I am in Roswell, so I am not far away. I will ask for Glenn when I call on Monday. Thanks for the tip. Do you ever go to Caffeine and Octane at the Avenue in Marietta the first Sunday of the month? It's a blast and there are usually at least a 100-200 cars. I bring the V2 or my M5. There has never been another V2 there (yet there will be 6 GTR's, 5 Ford GT's, etc).

b4z
08-22-09, 10:41 PM
Just found out Bridgestone RE760s don't come in V2 sizes.
i guess it's soomething the community should contact bridgestone about.

uncletoad
08-23-09, 07:54 PM
Leadfoot,
Let me know how things go with Capital.
I am guessing you are talking about Avenues East, cause I live a few miles east of Avenues West and have never seen a car show like that. 5 Ford GT's Holly Cow.
My car is black also, I will keep an eye out for you.
I also met another fella in the area with a black one, very nice guy.

Nutz
08-23-09, 09:05 PM
556hp 551lb/ftYa know, my rears do seem to be showing more wear than the fronts...:eyebrow:

Leadfoot09
08-23-09, 09:19 PM
Uncle,
Yes, it is the Avenue (East). The shopping center is on Hwy 120, 2 lights east of Johnson Ferry Road. The next meet is on Labor Day weekend (Sunday).

marktanner
08-23-09, 10:51 PM
Leadfoot, what time is the car show? I think I know where the Avenues is, just need the time. At this point, I'm planning to be out of town Labor Day weekend, but it will be great to know for future reference, and my plans may change anyway.

thebigjimsho
08-23-09, 11:18 PM
Ya know, my rears do seem to be showing more wear than the fronts...:eyebrow:
Excellent! Hay, ewe wanna sell me any of your extra cars so I can drive whilst mah V is down...

Warchild
08-24-09, 02:26 AM
I just purchased a V this Friday 8/ 21. Ive been reading a lot of posts on this site and I have a few questions.
1. I live in Central Texas where we may get below 40 a few times a year and below 30 once or twice. Should I get winter tires for that or will all season tires suffice.
2. Wet road traction - Im assuming is not that good with the stock summer tires? I prefer to keep one set of tires on all year - Will all season tires be ok and Im leaning toward tires that have a great wet traction rating, any suggestions on a great tire for the stock 19" CTS V rim? I seriously doubt ill be cracking the 140 MPH mark very often or taking high G turns ( .8 -.9 G)
3. I have seen video and posts where people are breaking it loose and smoking up those CTS V tires, I cant seem to get mine to break free, is there a traction control over ride I need to engage? It is extremely quick, but id like to lite it up on occasion.... there goes the tire wear.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

SlvrBullIT
08-24-09, 05:52 AM
I live in New Braunfels, PM me and I'll show you a thing or 2 on "breaking" loose on the V mwahahaha, in mine or your V...... I know a road course track and 1/4 strip to hit if that's your thing.

marktanner
08-24-09, 08:20 AM
Warchild, please don't over-react because of a few mild winter days. First, the stock PS2s are great in the rain, so no real worries there. The tires are not good in sub-freezing temps and on snow, but you don't have that many days with such conditions. A/S or winter tires are better in snow, for sure, but NO tire has great grip at low temps. Conversely, no A/S tire has the grip and handling that you bought with the V in the dry, and your performance will be compromised for the rest of the 90% of the year. With a judicious foot and traction control, you should have no major problem under less than ideal conditions, and when the weather is great, you will retain full performance and enjoyment. Plus, it costs nothing extra right now.

I have been using these Michelins since they came out on my M5 and 911. In Atlanta, we occasionally get snow, and temps even dip into single digits or lower. So far, with care taken, no problem in such conditions. I even did a track weekend with rain and 38 degrees one day, then 20 and dry the next, all at Road Atlanta. Terrible conditions, for sure, but adjust your driving for the available grip and you should be okay. If you lived where winters are severe, my advice would be different, but your winters are really quite mild.

Leadfoot09
08-24-09, 08:51 AM
Mark,
The show starts around 8am and goes until about 11am. It has classics, exotics, etc. Really fun. We have probably been on Road Atlanta together sometime in the past. I will look forward to meeting you in the near future. Okay, I guess I am done hijacking this thread!! I think I will try the Hankooks myself when my PS2's give up their lives.........

Ted

uncletoad
08-24-09, 09:26 PM
Ted,
Thanks for the information about the car show, sound like fun. With Hans' thoughtful comments, I think I will try the Hankooks also.
Warchild, I lived in Houston and got to Burnett a lot and had PS2s for years. You have no worries, so have fun.

jwa999
08-24-09, 10:02 PM
Did some spirited runs this weekend on the hankooks. This is a 14 mile run on a 2 lane country road, old asphalt from Celena,tx to Anna,tx, FM 455. The first back and forth I had to warm up. The second run, i started to push the tires, the 3rd back and forth I gained so much confidence, the stabilitrack (i'm running the whole time in competitive mode) had to kick in coming out of a long sweeper. I said to myself, "nice save." I also overshot one corner, going straight on an exit instead of taking the corner. The tires really felt very good, kept solid traction during the whole run. One one occasion, the fronts kicked back coming out of a corner. They seemed to "twist" and push me the wrong way. But it was easily corrected. I had the same in the Porsche when I was running on very hot asphalt. Then it was much worse. I kept the tires at 38lbs. In the first run, it felt like the back kept wanting to slide out, but the 2nd and 3rd run where very controlled. I stopped after 3 runs, fearing I might get too cocky. In the first two runs, i took the corners at around 60mph, the third run i'm running them at 70-80mph. There where some motorcyclists stopped on the side on the road, they kept cheering me on every time I came by. Needless to say, the hankooks worked very well. I can probably play with the tire pressure some more and avoid the twisting of the tires. The tires do seem to dive a little on hard braking, but very controlled. Even under very hard braking going into a corner late, the hankooks squealed a lot, but got me out of trouble in time.

Hans.

Leadfoot09
08-25-09, 08:52 PM
Ted,
Thanks for the information about the car show, sound like fun. With Hans' thoughtful comments, I think I will try the Hankooks also.
Warchild, I lived in Houston and got to Burnett a lot and had PS2s for years. You have no worries, so have fun.

Christopher,

I hope to see you at the next Caffeine and Octane. Thanks for your referral to Glenn at Capital--they took my car in yesterday and were able to address everything.

Ted

uncletoad
08-26-09, 09:11 PM
Ted,
I am glad Glenn could help you out, I like him
I am going to try to make the Coffee and Octane show the Sunday before Labor Day.
I will seek you out.

jwa999
08-26-09, 09:17 PM
Follow up on the Hankooks. After my spirited ride this weekend, the car is now handling magnificently in non-competitive mode. I'm at 1k miles, and that ride really woke up the hankooks. They are now simply marvelous, i don't remember the PS2 where this much fun. The car is reacting superfluous on any steering input.

Hans.

Leadfoot09
08-26-09, 09:18 PM
Follow up on the Hankooks. After my spirited ride this weekend, the car is now handling magnificently in non-competitive mode. I'm at 1k miles, and that ride really woke up the hankooks. They are now simply marvelous, i don't remember the PS2 where this much fun. The car is reacting superfluous on any steering input.

Hans.

SOLD!!! Thanks, Hans!

thebigjimsho
08-26-09, 09:33 PM
The car is reacting superfluous? Ouch...

uncletoad
08-27-09, 12:45 PM
Hans,
thanks for your continuing updates. You are making a strong case.

neuronbob
08-27-09, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the updates, Hans. It's always good to know what options there are for tires. :thumbsup: The Hankooks are dirt cheap compared to the PS2s.

Kadonny
08-27-09, 01:19 PM
For sure. Hans, what pressure did you end up running? 38?

Hankooks sound like a great value.

jwa999
08-27-09, 02:27 PM
For sure. Hans, what pressure did you end up running? 38?

I haven't touched the pressure after i put in 38lbs a few weeks ago. The temps here in tx are still going from 80-100F. The (unreliable) DIC readout goes from 36-41. I drove them really hard through the corners, must have helped the flexing in the sidewalls. You now get a nice feel as you throw the car in a corner, you can feel the pressure build up in the tire as you're breaking. Very controlled.
Hard runs really help the car settle in. My front wheel clicking completely disappeared after doing similar hard runs.

Hans.

Barry626
08-27-09, 09:20 PM

Sure hope so? I just bought a set for my car even though I just bought my car.
The price was right more then half cost of OEM tires plus $50 rebate is nice too!

jwa999
08-27-09, 10:49 PM
Sure hope so?
Well, i'm just writing out my experiences with them. I'm definitely not disappointed. They are very predictable and easy to handle. But they do need some breaking in, which means doing some hard cornering. And it's going to be interesting how long they last.