: 1976 Coupe DeathVille.....

DopeStar 156
07-31-09, 08:58 PM
So..... Ugh....

Yesterday after having my DeVille parked for a week or so with no activity I went to go fire it up for a typical ride around the block excersise and a swarm of green flies you usually find around garbage, shit, or roadkill came rushing outta the car. There was a faint smell of death in the car so I clouded it with bug spray and opened all the windows up. Did some snooping and found a dead, stiff, mouse on the floor by the driver's seat. I...... removed it..... gagged..... and threw it away.....

Little known fact here but your beloved DopeStar is squemish around rodents..... moving on....

Let the car air out for several hours and took it for a spin, sealed it all up again and parked it for the night. Went in there today after I got outta work and had a smaller swarm of flies in there. This time rather than instantly disturb them I noted their positions, all sitting on the front seats of the car. I once again clouded the interior and started snooping around again but found nothing but a very, very faint smell of death. Can't seem to use my nose to pinpoint it but the underside of the seats look ok, the only crevice I got left would be under the backseat. What's the best way to get that out to really check under there? I'm so grossed out I can't bear to be in the car for more than a couple minutes without having to get out.....

Ugh....

Stingroo
07-31-09, 09:16 PM
Best way? Get a cat.

lol

Angry Matt
07-31-09, 09:45 PM
Take the bottom of the back seat out first. Climb in the back facing the rear and push hard against the bottom of the backseat. Push towards the trunk then lift. There's a clip on either side under the seating area. Once it pops out, you'll see how it works. I had a nest under mine. I HATE HATE HATE mice. I've even shot them in my basement.

DopeStar 156
07-31-09, 10:03 PM
Climb in the back facing the rear

Ugh.... Once I work up the courage..... sure.....

sven914
07-31-09, 10:25 PM
The smell of death is something that sticks to fabric, and almost impossible to clean off. Backing soda absorbs smells. I heard that lemon juice or coffee grounds help with the smell of decomposition. You can also put an open tupperware container of white vinegar in the car and let it evaporate, to cover up the smell. There may always be a slight oder to the interior.

Flies are not attracted to the smell of stale decomposition. If you still have flies in you car, then there is still something dead in the car. To be able to sit in the car long enough to find the corpse, I would disconnect the battery and open all of the doors, and let the car air out for a few hours. I would get a can of Oust ("Oust eliminates airborne oder- causing bacteria"), and empty half the can.

Angry Matt
07-31-09, 10:35 PM
Ugh.... Once I work up the courage..... sure.....
I'm right there with you. I saw mice in my car over the winter and after I got them all out I was pulling out of the driveway and my keychain touched my leg. I jumped out of the car so fast swatting at nothing. It wasn't even funny. I can't even begin to tell you the horrible stories I have about mice incidents (I live next to fields). I keep some d-con in my trunk all the time.

DopeStar 156
07-31-09, 11:15 PM
I'm right there with you. I saw mice in my car over the winter and after I got them all out I was pulling out of the driveway and my keychain touched my leg. I jumped out of the car so fast swatting at nothing. It wasn't even funny. I can't even begin to tell you the horrible stories I have about mice incidents (I live next to fields). I keep some d-con in my trunk all the time.

I did the same ****ing thing. I have a red, white, and green tassle (Italian pride) hanging from my turn signal which brushed my leg and I did the same thing. Except I didn't put the car in park so it rolled up the grassy bank next to my driveway and just stopped........ luckily.....

Anyway once I work up the courage (or track down a suit of armor) I'll have to go in there and get the backseat out. I'm concerned the corpse might be under the carpet and if that's the case I can't do shit about it unless I tear it all up. Lotta mouse activity this summer, it's strange since it's usually a winter thing.....

I know how this started too. It was a few weeks ago I found three nests in my trunk and removed them. My trunk has a hole the size of a quarter in the corner coming from the driver's rear wheel well. That would most likely be their point of entry. Once in the trunk I guess it was only a matter of time until they found a way to get into the cabin. I found one in the engine bay of my Fleetwood a couple weeks ago that I chased into the door hinge with a stick until I grabbed my balls, and picked him out with a set of old rusty barbeque tongs and hurled him to the bottom of my garbage can. He didn't live through the night......

jayoldschool
07-31-09, 11:36 PM
lol, I had just pulled out of my driveway once while driving my 65 Impala convertible, and a mouse ran across my foot! When I jumped, it ran through the grommet in the firewall, presumably to bounce off the road... :D

pompste
07-31-09, 11:45 PM
Sorry to read about the rodent problem.I have'nt had them get in my Caddy yet-----but every winter the little bast--ds find a way into my house.I`ve got those sticky glue traps in almost every corner.
How the hell do the mice get in the car in the first place if everything is sealed up?

DopeStar 156
08-01-09, 01:02 AM
Sorry to read about the rodent problem.I have'nt had them get in my Caddy yet-----but every winter the little bast--ds find a way into my house.I`ve got those sticky glue traps in almost every corner.
How the hell do the mice get in the car in the first place if everything is sealed up?

In my case I guess the trunk. It's not too hard for them to find a way in through the firewall if they're determined enough....

On a side note, I just thought how "fun" it'll be trying to get the rear seat out of a two-door......

greencadillacmatt
08-01-09, 02:00 AM
I have felt your pain with the mice. When I was 15 I bought a $200 bucket of Cadillac greatness from a little old lady in my town. Being a Michigan car there was a hole under the carpet from just before the gas pedal to the begining of the seat track. It sat behind my house in the winter and I would start it every once in a while. In the spring I drove it out of the back yard and had two mice run across my feet and the last one DROPPED OUT OF THE HEADLINER. It fell on my shoulder and bounced out the then exposed hole in the floor. Guess I found out why my headliner sagged...

DopeStar 156
08-01-09, 07:26 AM
...the last one DROPPED OUT OF THE HEADLINER. It fell on my shoulder...

:ack:

Stingroo
08-01-09, 09:07 AM
Yeah.. that's a bit much. I like animals, but holy god. Get out of my car I say.

Did you eventually replace the headliner? If so, how many more mice did you find?

greencadillacmatt
08-01-09, 01:58 PM
No, I actually scrapped the car that day. There was too much rust and the engine ran on maybe six cylinders. It sounded like a tractor and blew black soot out the tailpipe. I still didn't want to get rid of it (first car and all). So I suppose that any remaining mice had themselves a "smashing" good time. :lildevil: It wasn't all bad, that car got me hooked on the Cadillac brand. :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
08-01-09, 04:49 PM
Well good news, no flies today but the car still has that smell. I guess there's no other corpses in there.....

bicentennialcadillac
08-01-09, 05:45 PM
You need to get that seat out and have a look. Even if the mice are gone, you still could have a nest and you need to see about sealing off their access.

Angry Matt
08-01-09, 07:46 PM
If they want to get in, they're going to get in. Since I put poison in the trunk I haven't seen any traces. Also try to drive the car more often, they don't like moving vehicles. We pulled my buddy's '81 coupe out of his yard where it sat for about a year (with the hood off, a freshly built engine all rusted now, windows down, $6000 paint job and probably close to 10 grand in hydraulics rotting away in the trunk, but that's another story) and I was looking in the mirror of the flatbed watching the mice fall out of the car and one by one leap to their death in traffic at about 40 mph. I wish I had that on tape.

sven914
08-02-09, 01:31 AM
Well good news, no flies today but the car still has that smell. I guess there's no other corpses in there.....

Maybe, maybe not.

Flies are only drawn to a body long enough to lay eggs. Maggots then hatch in the body and develop for about 2 weeks, at which time, they would leave your car. The rest of the corpse would be left to be digested by bacteria, mites, and eventually carcass beetles. Without trying to be disturbing, if there is something dead in your car, then over the next few months, it will turn into a putrid soup :stirpot: that will saturate and ruin anything it touches.

Have you thought of contact one of those crime scene clean up agencies (http://www.crimescenecleaning.net/); especially if your squeamish about what you could find. If you play it right, you can get your auto insurance to pay for it :thumbsup:.

DopeStar 156
08-02-09, 11:15 PM
Well I went in there and took out the backseat on Saturday and found a shit load of stuff under there, but no mice corpses or pariphanalia. Some of the more interesting things (like $4.72 in change) were a really old road map of Virginia and DC and an old political booklet that had the Presidental symbol on it with the eagle and everything. Everyone on here tells me my Coupe is very well optioned and must have been owned by someone with some good money. Starting to think my car might've been owned by a politician since it looks like it spent the mid 70's in DC. Here's a pic of under the seat which has now been throughly cleaned.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice2.jpg

After this I cleaned the seat (which was in astronomically better shape than the fronts) and replaced it. Then I went at the entire carpet with 409, Spot Shot, then Dow Scrubbing Bubbles with a brush, vacuumed it, got the floormats outta my basement, and put them back too.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice4.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/cdvmice6.jpg

I went away for the weekend and came home tonight. I opened the car that's been sealed up for over 24 hours and it smelled like cleaning products (which I'm not that fond of either but whatever) and nothing else. I guess it's safe to say I got rid of the mice. Now I guess I need some air freshener to throw in there to get the smell of really ****in' strong cleaners outta there. Interior looks better now that I went ballistic Mr. Clean on the carpet......

77CDV
08-03-09, 10:03 PM
You also might consider plugging the hole in your trunk pan with steel wool. Mice do not like it and will be dissuaded from entering the car, at least that way.

DopeStar 156
08-03-09, 11:05 PM
You also might consider plugging the hole in your trunk pan with steel wool. Mice do not like it and will be dissuaded from entering the car, at least that way.

That sounds perfect. Advice taken.....

sven914
08-05-09, 12:15 PM
Speaking of mice in cars; I opened my hood today and there was a rat (not a mouse, but a rat) sitting on the engine and chewing on the wires. It didn't even run when it saw me; it just looked at me for a few seconds and then slid down to the frame rail.

greencadillacmatt
08-05-09, 05:14 PM
sven914, did it mess up anything? Are the wires ok, or did it chew through? Try keeping some bars of Irish Spring soap under the hood. I use that when I store my car. The mice (and presumably rats) can't stand the stuff. :sneaky:

sven914
08-05-09, 05:28 PM
Not it didn't hurt anything; it was chewing on the wire for the antenna, which is broken (hit a low hanging limb).

My car is driven at least once a week, so would I have to take the soup out before I started the engine, or can it take engine temperature? The rat more than likely came from my neighbor's truck, which has been sitting for two months. When I told him about the rat, he said he to has rats.

RocketFast321
08-06-09, 01:36 AM
Most gas stations sell a strong azz air fresher call blunt power. Work real good one spray last in my car for a week.
http://www.bluntpower.com/images/bottle-cole.jpg

Aron9000
08-06-09, 01:51 AM
Most gas stations sell a strong azz air fresher call blunt power. Work real good one spray last in my car for a week.
http://www.bluntpower.com/images/bottle-cole.jpg

With a name like that, you'd think it would make the car smell like the Chronichttp://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/smokin.gif

robb257731
08-06-09, 09:01 AM
You guys are hilarious.

robb257731
08-06-09, 09:06 AM
A F*CKING RAT??? That's horrifying....I take back calling you all hilarious for being afraid of a mouse.

greencadillacmatt
08-06-09, 04:09 PM
I don't have the soap under the hood while driving, just in storage. BUT, I have seen others just put it in on top of their air cleaner. This was on later-model cars with a separate air-box, not just on top of the carb.

Stingroo
08-06-09, 07:44 PM
A F!ING RAT??? That's horrifying....I take back calling you all hilarious for being afraid of a mouse.

Aw c'mon robb, what's a rat but a mouse with a longer tail and bigger gut? :P:stirpot:

pompste
08-06-09, 11:32 PM
Those little rodents are resilient for sure. In my previous ride to my Caddy, i actually found a mouse NEST under my hood.How the hell those little pests found the time to build a nest is beyond me----it was my daily driver only sitting in my garage at night.Since it happened during the winter,they were probably drawn to the warmth of the engine.
All this info of rodents chewing on wires under the hood and falling out of headliners is getting to me.Since my Caddy sits in my garage at night,i`m lining the bottom of the walls with glue traps tomorrow and removing any potential rodent food such as grass seed,fertilizer etc.

akimball442
08-08-09, 12:30 AM
I bought my 81 CDV from an old man... it lived in a barn since 1995. I then put it in storage in another barn.

When I originally got it, it would not even run. The mice had destroyed it- but the leather remained good.

The engine ran great when i removed the nest from the air cleaner. Mom took off leaving her four fresh born. I just about puked. another family went flying out of the tailpipe, along with years worth of nests.

Mice suck, but the biggest problem is the gifts they leave. Mouse piss is not easy to clean. The smell is asphyxiating. I am pulling mine out of storage probably next weekend to get to work. I'm sure i have new visitors. I'm going to gut the entire interior down to the metal and wash everything with ammonia. Piss is made of ammonia, so it's soluble in ammonia. Good old windex is loaded with the stuff... and it's a great cleaner. I'm actually tempted to pull out the dash as well, and actually hose the thing down while the weather is hot and just let it dry.

As for the upholstery, anything they've pissed on can sometimes be cleaned, but things like the carpet and padding have to go, at least in my car. I'm not sure about the seat pads, at least the leather is in good shape.. the car has low mileage, and the rodents don't seem to like the leather- luckily.

They got in and even destroyed the foam part of the headliner. That's going to be fun to replace, since 80-85 coupes are so common in junkyards- yeah, right.

It's going to be a long process, but I figure it'll be worth it.

greencadillacmatt
08-08-09, 03:26 AM
For storage, this stuff can't be beat. I cut mine up and put it on small paper plates...

Warren_R
08-08-09, 05:19 AM
another good neutralizer for ammonia is vinegar ( = 6% acetic acid) -- ammonium acetate is much less smelly than ammonia!

Angry Matt
08-09-09, 07:54 PM
I had them get in my parents shed a few years back and they ate holes all over my good car cover. When I was moving out I found the three of them in my car parts box with a nest under my hubcap stack. Needless to say, they never made it out... Now I have this groundhog under the my shed. I stuffed it full of fireworks last week and he still comes back! At least he won't bother the cars.

Maverick87
09-29-09, 02:55 AM
Best thing I think I could say,

I used to be an apprentice mortician so I've stood the smell of corpses before, and can stomach it. Since I'm in South Jersey it's not like we couldn't meet. Your '76 and my '75 would certainly be a nice pair at shows when done. I would use the morticians' trick and wipe some of your girl's perfume just under your nostrils and try to find the place where the rat and flies got into, and fix it.

Just my 2 cents.

Nick.

9ine3reefleet
09-29-09, 05:03 PM
Im reading all these HORROR stories about mice here at work and a damn roach crawls UP my leg, like under the pants, on my damn skin. Eww. My skin is still crawling as I type. I have rodents around my house since I live by a wooded area and you guys have me spooked. If a mouse or whatever gets into my car for the winter I'll be pissed. But if one touches me... OH MY GOD...I...I...I just cant even imagine. LOL all you want at me being scared but those jokers are nasty. Let me get out of this place. Peace out.

sven914
09-29-09, 05:13 PM
Hey... It could all be worse. When I told my aunt about the rat on my engine, she told me about how her 84 Town Car used to have snakes.

outsider
09-29-09, 06:46 PM
just set fire to the car...that'll kill the rodents or drive them out ;)

nah just kidding...I can't wait to see what kind of shit I find in the old '69 calais I bought. Going to pick it up this weekend so I'll let you know if any mice show up :)

DopeStar 156
09-29-09, 08:08 PM
Funny this came up again.... I had a grey mouse sitting in my downstairs toilet....... yeah.... I dunno, I just flushed the ****er.....