: 2004 Escalade Brake Light Short

j5smith0517
07-31-09, 04:20 PM
Hey all. Driving home with a friend following me last night and I ran into a problem. My brake lights stop working most of the time. Once in a great while they would work. Most of the time my lights remain on but my brake lights do not work (third light or sides) and sometimes all my tail lights went out.

It sounds like a short to me. I did check the connections and they are all fine. Anyone have any other ideas? I don't even know where to start tracing wires and I'm not sure if I want to. One more thing: the fuse for the breaks is fine.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Jamie

sk7
07-31-09, 07:23 PM
If its only brake related I would start by checking the connection at the brake pedal switch itself. Maybe its loose or? You want to see +12V at the white wire when pushing on the pedal. Very easy to acess without having to remove anything. If the whole back end is at fault, there's a "junction box" of connectors for the lights rear right under the truck, right over the side exhaust pipe (inside the quarter panel but easily seen if you crawl under). Maybe they require a bit of cleaning or one is loose? They do get a bunch of crap thrown from the back wheel. Keep us posted.