: Trunk Mat

sven914
07-30-09, 05:01 PM
A quart of oil lost its cap and spilled in my trunk. Luckily the rubber backed trunk mat absorbed all of the oil before it could get on the carpeting, but now everything in the trunk is greasy. I don't know how to clean the trunk mat. Are they machine washable or is some special cleaner I have to get?

Angry Matt
07-30-09, 05:22 PM
Citrus based cleaner is good for oil or grease. I know that from cleaning carpets. If it was me I would try some very diluted (1 drop to a gallon) dishwashing detergent and a scrub brush. Then powerwash at the car wash on the rinse mode (non-soap) to get all the residue out. I don't think the powerwasher is strong enough to damage it.

csbuckn
07-30-09, 10:19 PM
I'd probably be lazy and bring it to the cleaners. 5/10 bucks should do her good.

sven914
08-02-09, 01:59 PM
Ok; I washed it using dish soap. Instead of going to the car wash, I washed it in my shower, several times. It has been dripping Castrol in my bathroom for two days, and everything is covered in a watery, oily slime (I was hoping to be able to say that the first time I fell off a toilet was due to intoxication, and not an oil slick), and the mat is still saturated with oil. Is there anything else I can try at home?

Lazarus_Rooney
08-02-09, 04:49 PM
a pressure washer that you can probably buy at home depot that hooks up to your garden hose might do the trick.

jayoldschool
08-02-09, 05:26 PM
Are we just talking about the rubber mat in the trunk that sits on top of the carpet? Throw it down on the driveway, and sprinkle "oil absorb" all over it. You should be able to get that at any parts/hardware store. Brush it off with a push broom. You will now have a dry, but very dusty mat. Use a pressure washer to clean it off. Then, spray the whole thing with Armor All. Let it sit, then rinse off. Wipe with a rag, and it will look brand new.

Hate to bring this up, but getting oil down the drain is a major no-no...

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagerequest.aspx?sku=578761&size=2&warehouse=C&newsize=600

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-02-09, 05:54 PM
Bring it to one of those do-it-yourself car washes. They (usually) have hooks on the walls so you can hang up your floor mats. There is one by me that has a super high pressure setting that also dispenses soap so you can blast the living daylights out of your car. It works amazing for getting tar off rocker panels and should work for the trunk mat as well.

Another thing to try would be Simple Green. You can buy it in concentrate form and dilute it to like 2:1. Simple Green is what I use for cleaning grease off things without damaging them, such as bicycles and cars. Normally I use gasoline to clean car parts but I am pretty sure you don't want your trunk exploding. :)