: 2003 won't start

frigginfabulous
07-30-09, 02:04 AM
I have a 2003 escalade when i try to start the display says unknown driver and the key remote does not work car does nothing won't turn over any help would be a help thanks

hcvone
07-30-09, 09:04 AM
Do you have more than one key? Sounds like the truck is thinking someone is trying to steal it and disabled the start process. Try a second key and see what happens

sk7
07-30-09, 10:39 AM
I would suspect the battery is just about dead. 02-06 Escalades cannot recognize drivers with the key, since its a non transponder type. Driver 1-2 is acknowledged upon unlocking with factory keyless remote, or selecting memory seat recall on driver door. This won't prevent truck from starting tho. Headlights, horn, still work? Keep us posted.

hcvone
07-30-09, 12:25 PM
I would suspect the battery is just about dead. 02-06 Escalades cannot recognize drivers with the key, since its a non transponder type. Driver 1-2 is acknowledged upon unlocking with factory keyless remote, or selecting memory seat recall on driver door. This won't prevent truck from starting tho. Headlights, horn, still work? Keep us posted.

It's been a long time since my 2003, don't the keys have chips in them?

sk7
07-30-09, 12:44 PM
The passlock 2 has a resistance build into the key cylinder, which if you try to steal the vehicule the old fashion way by yanking out the cylinder and starting with a flat screwdriver, it doesnt work. Crooks know the trick and turn the whole assembly, defeating the system. Passlock 3 (2007 and up) does have a transponder, which is a lot more effective at preventing theft. So any piece of metal cut to the same key shape will start an 02-06 escalade.

hcvone
07-30-09, 01:02 PM
The passlock 2 has a resistance build into the key cylinder, which if you try to steal the vehicule the old fashion way by yanking out the cylinder and starting with a flat screwdriver, it doesnt work. Crooks know the trick and turn the whole assembly, defeating the system. Passlock 3 (2007 and up) does have a transponder, which is a lot more effective at preventing theft. So any piece of metal cut to the same key shape will start an 02-06 escalade.

Thanks for that info. :)