: Creaking drivers seat

next2pool
07-30-09, 12:00 AM
My driver's seat creaks and snaps evertime I get in or move around. Any others have this and do you think warranty will cover it or do I take it out and spay it with silicon inside?

dhemrick
07-30-09, 12:08 AM
Known, common issue. Will be covered under warranty.

MacMuse
07-30-09, 12:38 AM
yep, just had mine fixed last week. no issues with getting it done.

I knew about the TSB, but I just said something like 'the seat clicks and then gives a little on sharp turns'. First couple times it happened I almost yanked the wheel to correct for a spin-out before I realized what happened.

Of course, the TSB basically tells them to shim up the seat with weatherstripping - but it "fixes" it.

next2pool
07-30-09, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys--i have a few minor items like that--time for a trip to the dealer.

golfin0304
07-30-09, 08:49 AM
My 2006 V8 does it also. Does anyone have the TSB and where can I find TSB's online. I bought mine off a lease...CPO.

Thunder Gray STS
07-30-09, 09:34 AM
My 2008 does that. I plan on taking it in at some point. I am saving up the little things. Seat, A/C vent adjuster broken on the center passenger side, front doors rattle a bit with certian bass frequencies, all very very minor things But I must admit the creaking seat is annoying.

K STS
07-30-09, 10:13 AM
I also need the TSB if anyone could provide it? Thanks.

mbnv992
07-30-09, 10:33 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. ! My seat does this as well. Sucks though cause I was just at my dealer yesterday for something else lol

trackbait
07-30-09, 12:02 PM
My 08 drivers seat sounds like my grandmothers bed spring mattress.. Spring squeaks and makes all kinds of racket especially on the bolster nearest the door.

Just another one of the aspects of this car that I am quickly coming to DISlike. Just cheaply made and constructed seats.

I doubt I'll take it in, cause I am sure they will need to keep it 3 days and it's a PIA to get to and from the dealer anyways....

Something else annoying I'll just deal with.

MacMuse
07-30-09, 12:46 PM
My 2006 V8 does it also. Does anyone have the TSB and where can I find TSB's online. I bought mine off a lease...CPO.

"wiggly" being the key word to look for here, love that tech talk!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/84450-wiggly-seats.html

The thread actually mentions a couple TSBs. post #14 in the thread is the one that seems to match my situation and involves weatherstripping. I'm actually not sure what they did to my car, but the seat definitely stopped making the noise and moving.

trackbait
07-30-09, 04:59 PM
Really,

This has to some kind of a joke:

"Cut four pieces of 7/64 in rubber hose (vacuum line).
Split the rubber hose (vacuum line) down the side . Apply weatherstrip adhesive to the inside of the hose (vacuum line) and install to the seat adjuster rail.
Install the seat cushion to the adjuster rail.
Install the two 10 mm nuts.
Tighten "

Sounds like some shade tree mechanic dreamed up this fix.

Amazing!

MacMuse
07-30-09, 05:26 PM
"Cut four pieces of 7/64 in rubber hose (vacuum line).
Split the rubber hose (vacuum line) down the side . ...

Sounds like some shade tree mechanic dreamed up this fix.

I kinda respect they just used an existing material that they expected all shops to have on hand instead of engineering a costly new made-to-order shim. But yeah, it doesn't sound good. Guess that's why they don't want us regular customers reading these things.

trackbait
07-30-09, 10:09 PM
I kinda respect they just used an existing material that they expected all shops to have on hand instead of engineering a costly new made-to-order shim.

On an 84 pickup truck, maybe acceptable. On a $60,000 Cadillac? Laughable. What else don't we know about? Got a leaky water pump? Maybe they just JB wled it up or use some mighty putty from Billy May's infomercials to fix all kinds of things...

next2pool
07-30-09, 11:19 PM
I agree. As a GM engineer I was a bit surprised by this one ! I'll still take it in--I almost wish I didn't know what the fix is.

amgqmp1
08-02-09, 11:12 PM
Mine does this too.

It's things like that make me wish recalls were a bit more common. I have to imagine that a few of us here on a forum aren't the only owners experiencing this. Oh well, I'm glad I didn't pay $60K for an STS... ;)

next2pool
08-03-09, 10:19 PM
Well, I took the car in this morning (Coulter Motors in Tempe, AZ) for the snapping, creaking seat as well as the intermittant "pinpoint" light in the headlight assembly. Both were fixed in the morning and seat is perfect. They also washed the car. I'm satisfied.

amgqmp1
08-04-09, 08:09 PM
I just live with it. I suppose I should track down that TSB and just do it myself...Mickey Mouse Mechanics is something I can usually hack... ;)

next2pool
08-05-09, 12:11 AM
Yes--the details of the fix sure are mickey mouse from a professional standpoint, but in this case it worked--although the long term aspect is unknown.