: Auto Trans Starts in 2nd Gear

Malibu310
07-29-09, 06:57 PM
I've had the CTS-V for two months now and was disapponted that the Aston Martin I traded in seemed quicker (380 HP vs 565 HP)..

Then I started experimenting with the (dumb) paddle shifters placed in a location that's difficult to use when turning (dumber). I was trying to force the car into a higher gear early and it seemed that the gas consumption was much less - for normal driving of course... that's when I discovered the car by itself NEVER gets into first gear.

Wow was I suprised at the get up and go when I discovered I'd have to put the car in manual mode and select first gear. The problem is the low gearing takes about a little more than a second before needed to shift or you hit the rev limiter. (dumberer) Well I'm a geezer and are not too quick with the finger flicking.

Any tricks to get the auto tranny in first gear starts on its own without resorting to reprogramming?

Rick H

jwa999
07-29-09, 07:20 PM
Put it in sport mode. Regular auto mode is used to save gas.
Sport mode definitely starts in 1st gear.

neuronbob
07-29-09, 10:22 PM
Agree. I drive almost exclusively in Sport mode as the car appears much more responsive in this mode.

jwa999
07-29-09, 11:30 PM
auto mode city driving > 15mpg
sport mode city driving < 12mpg

I have no problem with the paddle shifters. I actually like them. For a spirited drive, they are very workable. I also use the shifter, you do need it in very short corners, and during lazy highway driving. With the paddles I *can* get confused on a groggy morning.

Get the w4m tune, it will really make the automatic much more responsive.
You will like it. I had to go without it for a month, and the car is a dog without it. The max performance tune is still conservative on the engine and transmission. But for normal city driving, you won't be yearning for that manual shift anymore.

Hans.

Vlakaz
07-30-09, 01:37 AM
I haven't run through gas milage numbers for sport mode vs standard drive... so thanks for that estimate Hans. I usually drive around the city in drive, I kinda like the delayed reaction of it starting in second gear. Reason is, when going very slow, like parking lot speeds, you here a rumble before the gear starts to pull. :)

I only seem to use the paddle shifters on the highway/freeway, espeacially for the on ramps. :)

Hans, I have heard the WFM tune does wonders for the auto, but I think I will wait it out a bit longer before buying one of those.

Tony407
07-30-09, 02:55 AM
In regular auto mode, the transmission will start out in first gear the FIRST time you pull away, and will then always start in second after that. In sport mode it will always start in first. More interestingly, this is the first car that I've had that allows you to start out in THIRD gear by using the manual mode. Kinda weird, but something different to say the least.

I do prefer the paddle shifters of previous cars vs. the V "trigger" shifters, but at the same time, there's no accidental bumping and inadvertent shifting on the V either.

Tony

jwa999
07-30-09, 02:59 AM
In regular auto mode, the transmission will start out in first gear the FIRST time you pull away, and will then always start in second after that. In sport mode it will always start in first. More interestingly, this is the first car that I've had that allows you to start out in THIRD gear by using the manual mode. Kinda weird, but something different to say the least.

I do prefer the paddle shifters of previous cars vs. the V "trigger" shifters, but at the same time, there's no accidental bumping and inadvertent shifting on the V either.

Tony

Yeah, it's hard to tell what gear it's in. I bet you when you got to sport auto and then back to regular auto, i might start in 1st again. I can feel it changing gears going from auto to sport, but not feel it go back to 2nd if you switch back to auto.

musclesbmf
07-30-09, 10:59 AM
I find manual shifting with the shifter is much better than the buttons... but that is just me. With W4M tune, just put it in sport mode and it shifts at perfect RPM every gear.

Mark

Malibu310
07-30-09, 07:17 PM
Hey - you are right - sport mode does start in 1st - what a difference!

Cars in the shop now because of the tic-tic sound on the front end problem - will get it back tomorrow...

My buddy drove the car and just traded his beloved BMW on a CTS-V - the older model used (5,000 miles on it with a Corsa exhaust).. I drove it - plenty of differences - wow. Not sure I'd get a used CTS-V or for the same price a Pontiac G8...

The Corsa was quiet enough at cruise that it was pleasurable - hardly noticeable.... but sounded great on take-off.

Rick

tedcmiller
07-30-09, 07:24 PM
All of the auto tranny variations described here (sport mode, auto shifting in sport mode, manual shifting in sport mode, starting in second gear, etc.) are explained in detail in the owner's manual. Read it, you'll like it.

Tony407
07-30-09, 09:42 PM
I've had the CTS-V for two months now and was disapponted that the Aston Martin I traded in seemed quicker (380 HP vs 565 HP)..

For what it's worth, my Jaguar XF Supercharged (420 hp) also felt quicker (and lighter) than the V. The Wait4Me transmission/ECU tune fixed this immediately. The V now feels like it should considering it's not only lighter but much more powerful than the Jag. I'm very happy with this $400 mod.

Tony

Short-Throw
07-30-09, 10:07 PM
Then I started experimenting with the (dumb) paddle shifters placed in a location that's difficult to use when turning (dumber).

Rick H

Rick,

The paddles are actually placed perfectly. When we teach drivers at Autobahn about car control, whether for racing or our teenage driving academy, the first task is proper seating and hand position. You should be holding the wheel at the 9 & 3 positions. There isn't a reason to let go of the wheel as this will allow you to do a full 180 degree turn in any direction, thus always having access to the paddles instantly.

Glad you were able to find 1st gear! :thumbsup:

I have over 9K on mine and it's still running like day 1.

Mike