: Delivery Dilemma

thatcoder
07-29-09, 12:29 PM
What would you do?

yesterday i expected to take delivery of a black/black/black cts-v with every option except the suede steering wheel, which is how i wanted it.

there was a ding in the right passenger door that i pointed out during my test drive, when i put down a deposit on the vehicle. it was to be resolved, however it wasn't at the time i was expected to take delivery of the vehicle.

my question for you guys is would you have accepted the vehicle? would you take delivery of a vehicle that has already been to the body shop for work? it had 15/6 miles on it.

NeedCTS-v
07-29-09, 12:37 PM
Is it being sold as new? I hope that they're providing some sort of discount due to the vehicle's use as well as damage.

If the price compensation is not equal to or better than you feel is appropriate (even after the repair), then I would walk away from the deal.

Just my .02

thatcoder
07-29-09, 12:40 PM
Is it being sold as new? I hope that they're providing some sort of discount due to the vehicle's use as well as damage.

If the price compensation is not equal to or better than you feel is appropriate (even after the repair), then I would walk away from the deal.

Just my .02

Yes it is being sold as new. He offered 1k off his initial price (which was 65,254.28)

MSRP it's 69,245.00. Do you think that's worth it for a car that's needed body work?

demorgan59
07-29-09, 12:50 PM
If it was just a ding, the dealer could have a dent removal company come over and take it out in about 15 minutes and you would never know it was there. I wouldn't even call this "body work" like a repaint which I would walk away from. Something off the price for a perfectly fixed ding is a beautiful freebie to you.

thatcoder
07-29-09, 12:51 PM
a dent doctor can't fix this, it requires a body shop to work on it.

NeedCTS-v
07-29-09, 12:53 PM
For me, the bodywork itself isn't a huge deal but I would have them complete the work before delivery. Once you drive the car away, it's yours.

More importantly (to me anyway) is peace of mind. If you can live with the repair and you feel like you got a good deal, then all is well.

If you can be patient, you may be able to find a better deal (Scott at Superior comes to mind). I'd also add that we're near the end of this model year and prices on the '09s are gonna drop like a stone. It's really not a question of price as much as it is value. My guess is that the dealer might be able to take slightly better care of you on his "gently used & body damaged" car. I am assuming that we're talking about a dent and not a tiny ding. You are after all paying for a "new car".

Maybe I'm being too harsh?

Caroutisine
07-29-09, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't have taken delivery until it was fixed. If done correctly, you will not even know there was a repair done to the door. And the dealer will probably get it done for you quickly so you can take delivery. The CTS-V is an expensive car to inventory.

odla
07-29-09, 01:59 PM
as long as it doesn't show up on a carfax i would do it only for a great discount. more than a grand. because the feeling of getting a new car without anything done to it is worth something to me. if they cant match the number i want to take off the price then they would need to order another or ill just go buy from someone else. its a pricey car for most people. you should get a new car, in a new car condition.

haterinc
07-29-09, 02:51 PM
I'd also add that we're near the end of this model year and prices on the '09s are gonna drop like a stone.

it will be interesting to see if the 09v's drop much because they 10s are going up significantly... i mean i can see them sticking around supplier, but i'd be really surprised to see them unloaded at gms or lower.

you can have an 09 or you can pay an extra 5k for msrp sticker 10 because it has wooooooooood? lol pass

off topic, but to ans your question, if the price was right, i'd take it. dings happen and unless you're going to stick this car in bubble wrap for the next 20 years it will never matter anyway

Razorecko
07-29-09, 04:52 PM
NO ! - I had a crease near my sunroof when i took delivery and they said they would fix it.....than after the fact it was sold than they said they advise agains it because it would involve ripping off the headliner, etc etc. Its not really visible but for me it was. So tell them NO- to fix it first.

1BlinkGone
07-29-09, 06:24 PM
Ditto what razorecko said.
Have them state in writing they will fix it, and do NOT accept delivery until it is repaired to YOUR satisfaction.

NeedCTS-V makes a great point about the eventual wear and dings you will get, but dangit, on a new car it must LOOK like a new car- esp at this tier of automobile. They can keep the price break, fix the blasted thing.

Especially if it is body-shop damage that a dents-n-dings vendor can't remove and make disappear.

You don't wanna see any telltale ripples in the sheetmetal, nor any paint mismatch whatsoever after said repairs. Be discriminating. It's YOUR car and YOUR $$.

commander112
07-29-09, 08:23 PM
Ok here is the right answer. Do not take delivery of the car until it is fixed to your satisfaction. Body work done properly is nearly impossible to find. Make sure there are no tape seams in the doors as only hacks leave those these days. Next, for all of your guys that think that new cars are always perfect you are wrong. If a car is going down an assembly line and gets damaged it is fixed. If a car is going down the line and is about to be painted and they notice a ripple in the panel it is filled and then painted. All of the panels hung from a car are not perfect and repairs are done even when in the plant. Fact is, your perfect car may have seen plenty of action before it made it into your hands.

Mark

RightTurn
07-29-09, 08:25 PM
I don't know why the dealer hasn't already sent the car to a body shop. You'd think it would be easier to sell if perfect. :rolleyes:

Gary Wells
07-29-09, 09:11 PM
What would you do?

yesterday i expected to take delivery of a black/black/black cts-v with every option except the suede steering wheel, which is how i wanted it.

there was a ding in the right passenger door that i pointed out during my test drive, when i put down a deposit on the vehicle. it was to be resolved, however it wasn't at the time i was expected to take delivery of the vehicle.

my question for you guys is would you have accepted the vehicle? would you take delivery of a vehicle that has already been to the body shop for work? it had 15/6 miles on it.
1st of all, what is 15/6 mileage? Is that 15/16 ( 15 or 16 ) miles? is that 156 miles? If that is 15 or 16 miles on it, that could be a couple of test drivers maybe. If that's 156 miles on it, I would be concerned that somebody bought on credit and took it home before the dealership had opportunity to verify credit, they did not qualify, and the dealer repo-ed it back, probably with no documentation that you can verify.
Somebody can beat one of these to death in 156 miles of really spirited stoplight to stoplight runs.
Not a bad price, though, depending.

thatcoder
07-29-09, 11:26 PM
15/16

NeedCTS-v
07-29-09, 11:37 PM
15/16

Good to know. I thought you had meant 156 miles.

Honestly it's not a bad price, just have 'em fix it to your satisfaction before you pick it up.

Vlakaz
07-30-09, 12:30 AM
I guess the answer to your question depends on who is picking the car up.

I refused to pickup my first V because when I went ot pick it up I found two tiny (about the size of a pencil tip) stone chips off the paint on the front fender. No one else saw it until I pointed it out, but I did a detailed walk around before doing anything.

I just told the dealer to get me a new one even if it takes a while. Luckily the dealer had another V exactly as I had ordered coming the next day.

So if you have a car to drive, wait until you get a V in the condition you expect from a car in that price range. Its not an Aveo damit. The dealer should know better. I really wish dealers would open their eyes and examine the "new cars" for dents/scratches/chips etc... before telling the customer that it is ready for pickup. Instead all they want is that signature on the dotted line and for you to take posession.

The car is incredible btw. ;)

Razorecko
07-30-09, 09:13 AM
I don't know why the dealer hasn't already sent the car to a body shop. You'd think it would be easier to sell if perfect. :rolleyes:

usually because they come to find out it will either cost alot more $$ than they thought or it will be visible. They dont want to fubar the work and be stuck with the car. They'd rather fubar the work, you be stuck with the car, and them to say 'oh well, we tried'.