: Differential Cooler

ssstealth
07-29-09, 08:45 AM
I have noticed in the service manual that there is a differential cooler available for the STS-V, in fact, there is a whole section dedicated to service and replacement of it. It was not listed as an option though at purchase time.

At V-Day III, the 2nd generation CTS-V's were dropping out after a couple laps because of differential overheating messages coming on. Since the STS-V has no message like that available, I wonder if this is an issue now.

Has anyone investigated the differential temperature on the STS-V? What are the parts necessary to install the factory cooler system?

CIWS
07-29-09, 08:53 AM
You might check with Luke at Lindsay and see if he can track down the part, if it's actually still in the system.

harrysstsv
07-29-09, 11:35 AM
The differential cooler was from beginning a "dealer installed" option.
The 06 STS V which was tested in Road & Track magazin (April 2006) had this option even pictured.
My export model doesn`t have it but I`ve no problems on the differential or anything else.

Harry

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
07-30-09, 04:54 PM
I have noticed in the service manual that there is a differential cooler available for the STS-V, in fact, there is a whole section dedicated to service and replacement of it. It was not listed as an option though at purchase time.

At V-Day III, the 2nd generation CTS-V's were dropping out after a couple laps because of differential overheating messages coming on. Since the STS-V has no message like that available, I wonder if this is an issue now.

Has anyone investigated the differential temperature on the STS-V? What are the parts necessary to install the factory cooler system?

IT is available for about $1900.00. give me a call if you want one

ssstealth
07-30-09, 06:51 PM
Thanks Luke... as usual that is about double what I expected. Of course that fact then requires one to know IF it is really needed. The old question keeps coming up... "If there is no temperature gauge, is there any way for the differential to overheat?"

WillySTS
07-30-09, 08:53 PM
Thanks Luke... as usual that is about double what I expected. Of course that fact then requires one to know IF it is really needed. The old question keeps coming up... "If there is no temperature gauge, is there any way for the differential to overheat?"

There is, but not usually is street driving, but certainly more than 15 - 20 laps on a road course could, some drifting action could and certainly some sustained high speed laps around Daytona or Talledaga could.

The things that cause the heat are:

Hypoid cut gears. Street gears have more of the cut than race gears strictly for noise reduction. They are weaker and allow a great deal of sliding friction to operate.

Fluid movement away from the gears during high G cornering. This allows the gears to heat up only to get cooled on the straight-a-ways. Racing diffs are usually baffled in way that resists this action, but it still occurs, although to a lesser degree.

Working the LSD overtime. This will actually be your indicator that the diff is starting to overheat. It will either ratchet and grab a lot more or begin to spin the inside wheel more as your locking or limeted slip action goes away.

So, it can happen, but I'd doubt if it would under most conditions.