: Any manual trans owners throwing P1400 codes? My car is.

commander112
07-28-09, 08:00 PM
As stated in the title I have now gotten the P1400 cel and check engine light twice. First time the dealer reset the code and updated the ECM. Then it came back. They are telling me that if I start it I am not to "blip" the throttle for two minutes as this is known to trip the code. I don't know if I do "blip" the throttle when backing out of the garage but may. Anyway, the issue has been referred to GM Engineering for a fix. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I figured that if it was common there would be thread on it but was just looking to see if anyone else here is in the same boat.

Mark

NeedCTS-v
07-28-09, 08:03 PM
Negative. No codes. I'm over 7k miles on mine.

My wheel click is back however.

Razorecko
07-28-09, 08:44 PM
nope no codes...that blip the throttle sounds like a crap excuse ...i think it could be the manifold pressure sensor ?

commander112
07-28-09, 10:32 PM
nope no codes...that blip the throttle sounds like a crap excuse ...i think it could be the manifold pressure sensor ?

Agreed. Keep the comments coming. I will give them a few days to come up with a solution and will try their suggestion. If the light comes back on I will use this thread as evidence that they need to fix the problem properly so we can move on. By the way, I used this shop for service on my V1 and have always found them helpful and willing to go the extra mile to keep me happy. I'm sure they are just the messenger on this.

4gear70
07-29-09, 12:49 AM
I've never seen any such codes or CEL's come on. I've blipped the throttle prior to 2 minutes after startup many times and have never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Hope you get your's figured out soon.

tedcmiller
07-29-09, 01:30 AM
The P1400 DTC was discussed at length in an earlier thread. The following was my response as taken from the 2009 CTS-V factory service manual:

P1400 is a "Cold Start Emission Control System" error. It says basically that the exhaust gas did not match the expected profile on cold start up. The factory service manual lists a lot of things that could cause this such as modifications to the air intake sytem or the exhaust system. Or, failures such as leaks or other problems with either system.

The dealer's "crap excuse" is probably not to far from the truth. Don't over do it until the car warms up properly and you will probably not see this DTC again.

Razorecko
07-29-09, 10:18 AM
The P1400 DTC was discussed at length in an earlier thread. The following was my response as taken from the 2009 CTS-V factory service manual:

P1400 is a "Cold Start Emission Control System" error. It says basically that the exhaust gas did not match the expected profile on cold start up. The factory service manual lists a lot of things that could cause this such as modifications to the air intake sytem or the exhaust system. Or, failures such as leaks or other problems with either system.

The dealer's "crap excuse" is probably not to far from the truth. Don't over do it until the car warms up properly and you will probably not see this DTC again.

he shouldn't have to though....unless they will give him the permanent fix as soon as they figure it out.

CIWS
07-29-09, 10:35 AM
Could it be related to the Cats not being up to temperature yet ?

tedcmiller
07-29-09, 03:36 PM
I seriously doubt that any kind of "fix" for this problem is going to be coming from GM or the dealer. Anybody can abuse a car just like anybody can take care of one. It all depends on your attitude.

Those people getting a P1400 DTC can make as many trips to the dealer as they wish and worry over the DTC as much as they want. I, personally, have never gotten any kind of DTC on my 2009 CTS-V. I guess I am just an old fuddy-duddy who drives my new car in a normal manner.

haterinc
07-29-09, 04:01 PM
what fun... lol

commander112
07-29-09, 04:06 PM
I seriously doubt that any kind of "fix" for this problem is going to be coming from GM or the dealer. Anybody can abuse a car just like anybody can take care of one. It all depends on your attitude.

Those people getting a P1400 DTC can make as many trips to the dealer as they wish and worry over the DTC as much as they want. I, personally, have never gotten any kind of DTC on my 2009 CTS-V. I guess I am just an old fuddy-duddy who drives my new car in a normal manner.

I can assure you I do not jump on my car until it has warmed up. It takes at least two minutes to back out of my garage without hitting the mirror against the garage door frame and driving through my neighborhood at 25 mph. What they were inferring to is that if you perhaps give it a little gas without taking your foot off the clutch allowing the revs to climb a bit. I don't think I let the RPM's get to over 2K on a momentary blip when cold but maybe I do.

Krug Ford
07-29-09, 04:20 PM
Mark,

What dealer told you this? I have not heard of that.

Wreckless
07-30-09, 08:51 AM
Never had a code and some mornings I have to jump right on it to merge out of my driveway onto the county road. What they're saying doesn't sound right.

commander112
07-30-09, 09:10 AM
Mark,

What dealer told you this? I have not heard of that.

LaFontaine.

commander112
07-30-09, 04:10 PM
Amazing what Big Brother can tell you these days. All of my information was forwarded to GM from my ECU to try and figure out why I am getting the P1400 code. Today the dealer called and told me exactly why the code is coming up. It appears (in fact, I know I do this) that when I back out of my garage I place the car in reverse and lift off the clutch without adding throttle. I know I feather the clutch so as to back out slowly enough so that I do not clip my passenger mirror against the garage door frame. It appears that on a cold vehicle throttle must be added so as to not bog the engine down enough to set off the CEL. It is a problem with my technique and not a problem with the car. Just thought I would give an update with a resolution of my situation in case others end up with the same issues. Now if the code comes back and I have made these corrective changes then I will be back...

Mark

Krug Ford
07-30-09, 04:21 PM
I talked to a guy I know and he has not heard of that one

RapidRob
07-30-09, 06:58 PM
Never had this issue while backing out - and I do give it some gas to do it because that's what automatically releases the parking brake. Non issue in my case, cold engine or not ..

Rob

1-2-N-V
07-30-09, 10:26 PM
As stated in the title I have now gotten the P1400 cel and check engine light twice. First time the dealer reset the code and updated the ECM. Then it came back. They are telling me that if I start it I am not to "blip" the throttle for two minutes as this is known to trip the code. I don't know if I do "blip" the throttle when backing out of the garage but may. Anyway, the issue has been referred to GM Engineering for a fix. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I figured that if it was common there would be thread on it but was just looking to see if anyone else here is in the same boat.

Mark

I have had the 1400 code up till i just returned my manual car to stock to bring to the dealer for now heat on drivers issue. Had to replace a heater core. I had the 160 stat and that is when i got the code. You got the 160 stat? well anyway, as part of the repair the Dealer just changed it back to the 190 stat (or whatever it was) without question.... :hide:

Well anyway Jesse Said that he could take care of it with a revised tune. Well now i cannot even put in as now i have an error 1017. I'll check this as this was just a recent issue. SO... we'll see what happens now after the retune.

Razorecko
07-30-09, 10:52 PM
I have had the 1400 code up till i just returned my manual car to stock to bring to the dealer for now heat on drivers issue. Had to replace a heater core. I had the 160 stat and that is when i got the code. You got the 160 stat? well anyway, as part of the repair the Dealer just changed it back to the 190 stat (or whatever it was) without question.... :hide:

Well anyway Jesse Said that he could take care of it with a revised tune. Well now i cannot even put in as now i have an error 1017. I'll check this as this was just a recent issue. SO... we'll see what happens now after the retune.

sounds like the operating temperature is not being reached fast enough with that low tstat. Was the day the code was thrown particularly cooler?