: 5000 mile checkup and wheel clicking

Stevan
07-28-09, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

I am taking my 12/08 build date, 6 speed manual in for the 5000 mile checkup this Friday. I am planning on changing the oil (obviously), but am wondering if I should change the diff fluid and tranny fluid as well.

The dreaded wheel clicking has started on my car, and the odd thing is that it continues to click after heavy braking when I park it in my garage. I was trying to pinpoint it, but could only really identify that it was coming from the hub area. Anyone have a schematic?

The only other issue is that my sunroof doesn't open all the way, stops a few inches short on the auto-open. Other than that, the car has been very tight - compares favorably to my 2006 AMG C55 and 1991 BMW 850i. (Paintwork is great on all the pieces that are exposed, on the underside of the trunk and gas cap are inexcusable tho.)

thanks,
-stevan

GM-4-LIFE
07-28-09, 08:38 PM
My car was built in December of 2008 as well and I have had the dreaded clicking sound since it had very very low miles on it. The dealer couldn't seem to get rid of the problem. Last week, GM gave me a set of polished wheels to see if that cures the problem. I am sure the problem will return.

I swapped my engine, tranny and diff fluids out at 1,908 miles and the engine oil and rear diff fluid was really dirty. I mean really black! I wouldn't change out the tranny fluid just yet as the factory Dexron VI fluid is very good.

The engine oil and rear diff changes are a must.

SG

Buzduz74
07-28-09, 08:53 PM
My car was built in December of 2008 as well and I have had the dreaded clicking sound since it had very very low miles on it. The dealer couldn't seem to get rid of the problem. Last week, GM gave me a set of polished wheels to see if that cures the problem. I am sure the problem will return.

I swapped my engine, tranny and diff fluids out at 1,908 miles and the engine oil and rear diff fluid was really dirty. I mean really black! I wouldn't change out the tranny fluid just yet as the factory Dexron VI fluid is very good.

The engine oil and rear diff changes are a must.

SGMy wheels click at 4000 miles with a March 9th build date

Vlakaz
07-28-09, 09:17 PM
Just changed my oil at about 4500Kms on it and the computer showing 58% oil life left. Paid out of pocket for this first change.

As far as yrou sunroof auto open... are you sure its not just opening to the first step? All V2's open 3/4 of the way with the first press but you then have to press again to get it all the way open. That is normal operation for these roofs from what I have read.

I didn't change out the rear diff oil though. Dealer didn't suggest any other changes. Are most of you finding that a useful changed early on?

I had the clicking noise for the last 1500kms on mine, dealer went through the standard remove/clean/retorque procedure. Clicking is gone... for now.

Sunroof made a pop when it closed, but dealer fixed that saying some alignment bolts were loose. Seems fine now.

RWFJR
07-28-09, 09:36 PM
No clicking here...Build date 1/09...Purchased 4/09...Dealer said I did not need service until I hit 9300??????????????:hmm:

Nutz
07-28-09, 09:44 PM
The only other issue is that my sunroof doesn't open all the way, stops a few inches short on the auto-open.
thanks,
-stevan

As far as yrou sunroof auto open... are you sure its not just opening to the first step? All V2's open 3/4 of the way with the first press but you then have to press again to get it all the way open. That is normal operation for these roofs from what I have read.^:true:

Stevan
07-28-09, 09:56 PM
Ok, so it looks like the sunroof is a non-issue. That's what I get for not fully reading the manual. The fact that the rear windows don't have auto-up bug me as well, but I guess that too is a "feature".

So oil change and diff oil change, plus the wheel clicking.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Nutz
07-28-09, 10:00 PM
Ok, so it looks like the sunroof is a non-issue. That's what I get for not fully reading the manual. The fact that the rear windows don't have auto-up bug me as well, but I guess that too is a "feature".

So oil change and diff oil change, plus the wheel clicking.

Thanks for the quick responses!Remind your mechanic that the front wheels have a bulletin upping the torque to 158 ft./lbs. now.:thumbsup:

Vlakaz
07-29-09, 12:49 AM
Remind your mechanic that the front wheels have a bulletin upping the torque to 158 ft./lbs. now.:thumbsup:

The service advisor pulled up the bulletin on it and showed me when I took mine in last week for oil change and wheel clicking.

And I agree about the auto up window feature missing on the rears... but I guess GM has to shave off many little things to keep the price point down. Many little features probably add up $$$

marktanner
07-30-09, 02:36 AM
Lack of auto-up on the rears is a safety feature, for kids in the back. The first setting on the roof is supposed to reduce buffeting on the highway, fully open is for lower speeds.

jwa999
07-30-09, 03:18 AM
Lack of auto-up on the rears is a safety feature, for kids in the back. The first setting on the roof is supposed to reduce buffeting on the highway, fully open is for lower speeds.

It'd be saver for the kids if the rear windows had a sensor to detect obstruction.
What I do now is simply auto close the fronts and keep the buttons on the back windows until everything closes.. is that saver?
Most other sedans have that sensor.. it's just a cost savings.

Oh, and after the wheels are at 158, it's a *real* bitch to get them loose again. It literally made a violent POP on 4 out of the 5 bolts, after I had my 240bls body leaning on the wrench.

I used to have the clicking noise. It's gone now and i'm torqued at 140.
At least I can loosen the bolts easy now.