: STS-V, worth it over the STS?

freshchops
07-28-09, 05:53 PM
I'm replacing my beloved '05 STS-V8 RWD... long story I'll be sure to come back and share...... anyway's, I'm about to pull the trigger on getting another STS. This time I'm highly considering getting a V-series. I've never driven the V-series so I can't compare. I would be buying second hand, Certified Preowned. I think the savings value seen with the pre-owned V's is very appealing, even compared to the reg. STS's.

My question is, is the 10k extra worth it. I loved the pick-up and response of the STS V8, and if the "V" is an improvement..... oh boy! Any thoughts on comparison.

It appears most "V-series" owners are happy with theirs, which is great.... I'm just considering in comparison to the STS V8.

Thanks!

CIWS
07-28-09, 05:59 PM
Without a doubt - as long as you don't mind paying for super unleaded gas and shopping for rear tires :D

Pre-Owned Certified is the way to go if you can.

55cadillacking
07-28-09, 06:17 PM
It really comes down to what you need this car to do for you. In retrospect, a STS V8 probably would have been the better choice for me up here in snowy Canada. An AWD model would have suited my needs MUCH better, but the sexy styling and power of the V was just too tempting in the end. The V really does make a statement. Regular STS owners always give me the thumbs up, which feels good.

freshchops
07-28-09, 06:36 PM
Without a doubt - as long as you don't mind paying for super unleaded gas and shopping for rear tires :D

Pre-Owned Certified is the way to go if you can.

Yup, I've actually been putting the super unleaded already..... Just looks like I'd be getting even less MPG. :eek:

freshchops
07-28-09, 06:51 PM
It really comes down to what you need this car to do for you. In retrospect, a STS V8 probably would have been the better choice for me up here in snowy Canada. An AWD model would have suited my needs MUCH better, but the sexy styling and power of the V was just too tempting in the end. The V really does make a statement. Regular STS owners always give me the thumbs up, which feels good.

I'm down south, all flatland. I can see your points. I think I have so much respect for the STS, that makes the "V" even more appealing. To think they made one better...... and I always wanted a "V" and would have originally bought a CTS-V but being all stick shifts, my wife wouldn't have been able to drive it if needed. I only just learned the STS-V's are optional sports-shifts too, like the standard STS's..... so here I am. :bonkers:

HeavyH20
07-28-09, 07:04 PM
Actually, the STS-V is an auto only car. I think you may have been thinking about the old CTS-V which was only a stick. The newer CTS-V let's you choose either.

Be warned, horsepower is addictive and the STS-V has plenty :)

CIWS
07-28-09, 07:08 PM
Actually, the STS-V is an auto only car. I think you may have been thinking about the old CTS-V which was only a stick. The newer CTS-V let's you choose either.

It's an auto that can be put into Sport mode and then the gears can be selected up and down, like several other Cadillac autos.

freshchops
07-28-09, 10:16 PM

Got it, but to clarify.... I originally wanted a CTS-V, but got a STS (non "v") one year ago instead because of the auto. Now, my STS got totaled and I'm re-shopping. I'm considering getting an STS-V this time to replace my STS. It's good that the STS-V's are Auto w/ selective sports shifting.... as I now understand the CTS v's have now too. I need the space of the STS though.

HeavyH20
07-28-09, 11:45 PM
Got it, but to clarify.... I originally wanted a CTS-V, but got a STS (non "v") one year ago instead because of the auto. Now, my STS got totaled and I'm re-shopping. I'm considering getting an STS-V this time to replace my STS. It's good that the STS-V's are Auto w/ selective sports shifting.... as I now understand the CTS v's have now too. I need the space of the STS though.

It's kind of funny, but my Dad picked up the STS-V over a new CTS-V because of the space. He could stack four sets of golf clubs in the back and some luggage. Suited his lifestyle perfectly. Of course, the guys over in the 09 and newer CTS-V section beat me up over that :)

The STS-V is more luxury than the CTS-V new or old model, is a bit bigger and has one of the largest trunks available. Add the clean styling, aggressive stance and some serious horsepower makes for a whole bunch of fun and practicality. If you liked your STS, you will love your STS-V !

So, what year and price range are you looking?

Florian
07-28-09, 11:58 PM
I love the fact that my STSv is more Luxo than Boy Racer. Im more at home in this car than I was in my CTSv Gen1. This car offers all the little luxuries that I expect, plus the clean lines do it for me...Im not a fan of the new V2, just not my look.

Good luck with your choice.

F

freshchops
07-29-09, 02:13 AM
It's kind of funny, but my Dad picked up the STS-V over a new CTS-V because of the space. He could stack four sets of golf clubs in the back and some luggage. Suited his lifestyle perfectly. Of course, the guys over in the 09 and newer CTS-V section beat me up over that :)

The STS-V is more luxury than the CTS-V new or old model, is a bit bigger and has one of the largest trunks available. Add the clean styling, aggressive stance and some serious horsepower makes for a whole bunch of fun and practicality. If you liked your STS, you will love your STS-V !

So, what year and price range are you looking?

Yeah, all those reasons. The two biggies (other than auto over manual transmission) for the STS over cts (notice I did it lower case, insinuating it's size inferiority to the STS), is the back seat leg room and the trunk space. Although overall body length isn't too different, the difference in those two areas is very significant.... at least to me! And for my needs, it's got to be a family car (too).

I'm looking for an '06, between 15-30k miles and around $30-35k... is that too much to ask! :bigroll:

If I can't get something very clean around that, I'll be happy to go with another V8 STS ('06-07).

thanks for all's feedback, I'll keep posted.

HeavyH20
07-29-09, 02:44 AM
I think you could definitely pick up an STS-V in that price range. Here is a couple of good samples.

Here is an 07, certified with 40K miles (a little over your target) for $33,000. It is at the Caddie dealer I take my CTS-V for service.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_8_%7cD-_7654_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%2c7%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-55378&aff=national&paId=315561348&recnum=10&leadExists=true

And, the one that got my interest, a 2008 with 14,000 miles for $36,000. This dealer is historically cheaper since it is outside the city a little. Always deals there but not certified. But, I think you can pay to get it certified. Last time I called they indicated a $1700 charge. Not a bad deal considering it's an 08.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_8_%7cD-_7654_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%2c7%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-55378&aff=national&paId=306246276&recnum=7&leadExists=true

These are just quick hits on cars.com, but I think you could definitely pick up a V in your price range. Get it and never regret it :)

I was looking that these two for my wife, actually. Never hurts to have TWO fun daily drivers, but, I think she will get the SRX because of the third seat.

freshchops
07-29-09, 04:55 AM
^^ the links didn't work, but you encouraged me to shop Cars.com. I've looked everywhere but there. It's very encouraging!! We'll see what a little shopping brings. Thanks! and from my experience, the the SRX's aren't exactly roomier, maybe aside from the third seat which is .... aaaaa. But the SRX sits a little higher and I know some women prefer that.

HeavyH20
07-29-09, 10:38 AM
I think the site puts too many session parameters in the links. Hard to save anything, but, cars.com is a great place to look. Good luck! I think you will find what you are looking for :thumbsup:

And, yes, my wife prefers the elevated seating and the third seat. Handy for driving around the kids and some of their friends.

CIWS
07-29-09, 11:07 AM
It's kind of funny, but my Dad picked up the STS-V over a new CTS-V because of the space.

That's actually kinda cool your Dad drives and V and so do you. :D

HeavyH20
07-29-09, 11:17 AM
That's actually kinda cool your Dad drives and V and so do you. :D

It took some fanagling on my side, but he saw the light. Once he drove it and hit the old gas pedal, he was sold! It is also silver. :)

He ended up getting a sightly used one with low miles, certified. It was a GM corporate car. And, he only drives about 3000 miles per year (while in Florida 6 months) and is always garaged (air conditioned) so it should be in good hands.

nlharter
07-29-09, 11:48 AM
Golf clubs fitting was also one of my requirements. We had an '05 CTS that my clubs had to be forced in the trunk. No way for room for more than one set. I love our STS-V. Tons of room, good looks, fast as hell. You can definately pick one up for the price you are looking in. I found I could get a Certified '07 STS-V for about the same as a Certified '08 STS. It was well worth the trade off. Autotrader.com is also another good site. They appear to have alot more than when I was looking 2 months ago. Good luck.

try2k
07-30-09, 08:56 AM
I've got the STS-V "06 and would pay the $10k premium in a heartbeat over the STS. It is more than just horsepower. Steering, brakes, and style, just to mention a few. The certified is the way to go. And as for the mileage, I have never reset the mpg gage and it is reading 19.4. Of course I only have 25k on it and drive rather mildly unless I happen to pull up next to a Mustang or Corvette.

ral1960
07-30-09, 06:57 PM
According to the online ordering guide (URL below), the CTS and STS have identical trunkspace, 13.8 cuft, of course, the shape and opening are different.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&regionID=1&divisionID=5&type=0&vehicleID=4660&section=dim&page=&butID=6

Does the V model have cooled front seats? The ordering guide says no, but that seems stupid, since the car has everything else. I like the ultraseude panels better than all leather, but the cooling seat in my Deville is definitely worth it, and I wouldn't have bought it without it.

I found the car on Autotrader.com. Had to drive 450 miles, but saved several thousand dollars over similar, and about $6k over a local certified.

Lutz was asked about a V model for the new CTS wagon, which has about twice the luggage space of the sedan. I believe he said it's easily doable but there are no plans for it, yet.

HeavyH20
07-30-09, 07:03 PM
The STS is not as deep, but wider. Makes packing things up a little easier. The CTS is a little more square. I can't fit my golf clubs diagonally across the CTS trunk but easily so in the STS. The car width is key.

As for the cooling seats, I always found those made you feel like you peed your pants :)

ral1960
07-30-09, 11:01 PM
The STS is not as deep, but wider. Makes packing things up a little easier. The CTS is a little more square. I can't fit my golf clubs diagonally across the CTS trunk but easily so in the STS. The car width is key.

As for the cooling seats, I always found those made you feel like you peed your pants :)
I get hot and damp without the cooling.

People kept talking about the new generation CTS being wider than the old, but it's just the wider track--the interior and trunk are the same as before, which is a couple inches narrower than the STS.

CIWS
07-31-09, 07:34 AM
The new CTS has a wider frame (I think 2") than the old, but that of course doesn't the inside of the car is designed that way.