: TPMS only reading 15lbs... Help please...

nathanjax
07-28-09, 04:40 PM
Well, since I bought my Escalade the TPMS light has been on. We've (Father and I and my fathers a mechanic) tried resetting all the sensors. We heard the horn honk and all was well. However. the light came right back on. We hooked it up to a scanner, and the scanner sees all 4 sensors (even gives us their serial numbers), but it shows on 15lbs in each wheel, no matter how much pressure is in the tire. We tried raising and lowering the pressure and it still read 15lbs.

Can the sensors be reset? Are they just bad and need to all be replaced?

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

hcvone
07-28-09, 07:24 PM
Depending on your type of sensor reset tool, some can reset the sensors, I have a Bartec tool and it can reset them, and I use it myself all the time, in the aftermarket wheel business and for many friends and customers, and I have never seen all 4 sensors off and reading the same low pressure, I have seen one mostly and even two sensors have problems but not all 4. Usually letting all the air out and refilling fixes that issue, but it did not work for you. They do go bad as the battery goes but all 4 of them at once is strange. Did you go for a drive after the reset? The truck has to be moving 15 mph to get a new reading. If you did not drive the truck that is the problem

nathanjax
07-28-09, 09:44 PM
Did you go for a drive after the reset? The truck has to be moving 15 mph to get a new reading. If you did not drive the truck that is the problem

Been driving the truck for a week after the second reset....

It's driving me crazy that I cant' figure this out...

luxurylife33
07-28-09, 10:50 PM
not to jack your thread but could my "service ride control" message be from new rims put on my truck? It didnt come on until a week later but this thread made me just realize it.... hmmm

nathanjax
08-26-09, 09:21 PM
Bump for help because it's still doing it and I guess I'm getting ready to go spend $ at the dealer to figure this out...

May ewill (ewill3rd) can help?

ewill3rd
08-26-09, 11:29 PM
Nathan,

What else did you see on the Tech 2? It has been a while since I messed with an '04 TPMS but I know on some others the light comes on because the limit is not set properly.
The module (in your case the PDM or passenger door module) needs to know the thresholds at which to alarm.
If you use the DIC controls what does it display the pressures to be?

Remember if you change the tire pressure you either have to reprogram the sensors or drive the vehicle for the system to see the change in pressure for display.

Bore me with information and I'll see what more help I can give.

nathanjax
08-27-09, 11:03 AM
Nathan,

What else did you see on the Tech 2? It has been a while since I messed with an '04 TPMS but I know on some others the light comes on because the limit is not set properly.
The module (in your case the PDM or passenger door module) needs to know the thresholds at which to alarm.
If you use the DIC controls what does it display the pressures to be?

I didn't even know the DIC can tell you the pressures. I just went outside and went through all the settings and couldn't figure it out.

How can I do this?

Remember if you change the tire pressure you either have to reprogram the sensors or drive the vehicle for the system to see the change in pressure for display.

Bore me with information and I'll see what more help I can give.

When I bought the vehicle, the TPMS system was not activated for the truck. All I was getting was a service TPMS warning in the DIC. SO I programmed the TPMS via the headlight turn off/on, horn honk method and it recognized all 4 sensors. However, now the TPMS dash light stays on and every time I getting in the car, the DIC gives me a warning till I hit a steering wheel button, but the light stays on.

So we hooked it up to the Snap on MODIS diagnostic tool and we can see all 4 sensor serial numbers, so I know the module is seeing the sensors, but it's saying there is 15psi in each of the tires.

I'm snot sure how to set the limits in the PDM or whatever... That might be what needs to be done.

Let me know what else I can do or try, or any other information you need and I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the help.

Nathan

ewill3rd
08-27-09, 12:44 PM
If your vehicle has the steering wheel controls for the DIC you should be able to view the tire pressures, if you can't then the PDM is likely not configured properly.

I have to look some things up.
Do you have the steering wheel controls?
Maybe someone had aftermarket wheels on it and they turned it off in the PDM or messed it up somehow.

The PDM is the RKE receiver, it processes the inputs from all 4 tire sensors and your remotes and sends the messages out on the DIC.
The ones with no steering wheel controls will not show the TPM pressures, but the ones with controls you should be able to cycle through the vehicle info and see them.
As I said if they are not there perhaps someone messed up the settings in the PDM.
The only way I know to adjust that stuff is using the Tech 2.

nathanjax
08-27-09, 01:43 PM
Do you have the steering wheel controls?

Yes

Maybe someone had aftermarket wheels on it and they turned it off in the PDM or messed it up somehow.

Possibly/Probably

The guy I purchased it from had aftermarket rims on it and put the stock ones back on to sell it.

ewill3rd
08-27-09, 10:27 PM
I'd say someone messed with the feature in the PDM for him.
You'll have to take it to a dealer or someone with a Tech 2 and have them do the following....

Control Module Setup
Passenger Door Module (PDM) Setup
After PDM/Switch assembly replacement, the following procedures must be performed in the order that they appear for the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system to function properly. The PDM also requires keyless entry transmitter programming after replacement. Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry.

TPM System Enable
The service replacement PDM/Switch assembly comes with the TPM system disabled to allow the same part number PDM to be used in both TPM and non TPM equipped vehicles. Once the TPM option is enabled in the PDM, it can not be disabled. Before proceeding with the steps below ensure the vehicle is TPM equipped (UJ6), refer to Service Parts ID Label in General Information.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool select Chassis.
Select Tire Pressure Monitor.
Select Special Functions.
Select TPM Option Enable.
Press the exit key to escape.
Tire Type/Pressure Selection
Since there are different tire types and pressure combinations for different vehicles, it is necessary to select the correct tire type and tire pressures for the vehicle being serviced.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool select Chassis.
Select Tire Pressure Monitor.
Select Special Functions.
Select Tire Type/Pressure Selection.
Select P-Metric Standard.
Select the front tire pressure as noted on the vehicle drivers door placard sticker.
Select the rear tire pressure as noted on the vehicle drivers door placard sticker.
Verify the selections made are correct and press the enter key. The scan tool will flash Procedure in Progress, then display Procedure Complete.
Press the exit key to escape.
Tire Pressure Sensor Learn
After PDM/Switch assembly replacement each of the tire pressure sensors unique identification codes must be learned into the PDMs memory. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor Learn .

nathanjax
08-28-09, 12:10 AM
Thanks, I guess I'll be going to the dealership and see what they say...