: Bluetooth Radio not muting

harnage
07-27-09, 09:39 PM
So I bought my 2007 a few weeks ago. First call I got on bluetooth worked flawlessly. Every one since then the radio mutes until I answer it then the call is answered and the radio comes back on and can't be turned down, muted or anything until I hang up.

Took last week and they updated firmware, but same old problem. Anyone else experience this and is there a known solution or just another one of the expensive bells and whistles that works best in the advertisement?

carter's_sts
07-27-09, 11:45 PM
I posted the same exact thing in another thread for my 06 STS. I guess now I know that a firmware update does not help.

It's really annoying. All the controls stop working until you hang up. Mine only does it part of the time though.

I might have found a lame solution, but haven't really tested it. I think (*maybe*) the video button works, which switches the audio to the aux jacks in the console. But this button might not be available while driving. Like I said I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

I wish there was a real solution.

What kind of phone are you using? I've tried 2 different Motorola phones.

So I bought my 2007 a few weeks ago. First call I got on bluetooth worked flawlessly. Every one since then the radio mutes until I answer it then the call is answered and the radio comes back on and can't be turned down, muted or anything until I hang up.

Took last week and they updated firmware, but same old problem. Anyone else experience this and is there a known solution or just another one of the expensive bells and whistles that works best in the advertisement?

ewill3rd
07-28-09, 06:51 AM
Phone type is important.
Also most of the guys installing the "firmware" load it in, but don't activate it with the scan tool.
If you don't activate the firmware it doesn't do anything, it just sits in the radio. I am not sure how you could ask them if they did the job right without irritating them.

As I said, sadly the STS is very picky about which device you use, they don't all work and so far the worst issues arise when trying to use a Blackberry.

K STS
07-28-09, 08:20 AM
I just had the dealership REPLACE my entire nav unit, and it still does this.

harnage
07-28-09, 12:06 PM
I have an HTC Touch Cruise.. Odd thing is it worked perfectly the first time.

I ordered a lockpick yesterday... once I get that installed I will try some experimenting to see if I can figure out what is triggering it.

Wonder how you check the firmware version? Can it be displayed on the unit somehow?

MacMuse
07-28-09, 02:39 PM
Careful, don't muck around in here too much... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/95721-nav-screen-diagnostic-mode-instructions.html

EChas3
07-28-09, 10:42 PM
Phone type is important.
Also most of the guys installing the "firmware" load it in, but don't activate it with the scan tool.
If you don't activate the firmware it doesn't do anything, it just sits in the radio. I am not sure how you could ask them if they did the job right without irritating them.

Our dealer just did my wife's 2007 & it now also shows "NAVI : 0FC15" like mine. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be so if the load wasn't activated. She hasn't had more Bluetooth connection issues.

There are several threads that suggest the 'muting issue' described here has more to do with the phone than the car. Have you consulted your cellular provider about an upgrade?

ewill3rd
07-29-09, 07:12 AM
I'd have to look at the TSB but that number sounds right.

I usually tell my customers to check with their provider to be sure their phone software is up to date to prevent possible issues.
If the radio is updated and the phone is up to date there isn't much you can do except get a cheap piece of junk phone to use for bluetooth like an old RAZR (which seems to always work perfectly).

I think the '05-'08 STS were really bad about device compatibility. Most of our other carlines with BT don't have these issues like the STS radio.
The STS has the BT in the radio itself, everything else it is a function of the OnStar module... which seems to make more sense to me anyway.
This original BT radio doesn't have any support on the GM bluetooth website either which doesn't help.

GM has a bulletin that states that essentially they only tested it with 3 devices and I think TAC has told me that they will only provide support on those.
I think I posted them a long time ago.

SKATE50
07-29-09, 08:20 AM
the next time that happens push the handsfree button and that should send it back to the regular operation mode.it works for me.:yup:(remember car MUST NOT BE IN MOTION).

carter's_sts
08-02-09, 07:14 PM
Can you guys try this possible workaround I found? I'm saying possible because I sometimes have the problem and sometimes don't. I tried this a bunch of times and it worked, but it's not totally conclusive because mine is intermitent anyway.

Listening to music - phone rings / music mutes - before answering, press the AUX button (hard key) - then answer the phone.

When I did this the music did not come back on and I had control of things.

I'm hoping others can see if it's really working or if I just got lucky all those times.

Angus Young
08-03-09, 08:20 PM
I also had this problem, I removed all bluetooth devices and readded the phone, I have the IPhone and momma has one 2, this also worked for a while, I'm thinking every now and then deleteing and readding ?? Worth a try....